Virgin Atlantic is not a member of any alliance, but it has 13 airline partners around the world. Also, Virgin Atlantic is the transfer partner of all four U.S.-based airline travel programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and Diners Club, which makes it easy to collect Flying Club miles outside of flying. If you fly Virgin Atlantic fairly often, you might consider pushing for elite status, which would certainly make it more pleasant.
In addition you will receive elite benefits on the following Virgin Atlantic airline partners:
- Delta Air Lines
- Singapore Airlines
- All Nippon Airways
- Air New Zealand
- Virgin Australia
- Virgin America
- Flying Club miles is an actual Virgin Atlantic currency redeemable on award flights
- Flying Club Tier points only count for status; they can’t be redeemed for an award ticket
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club has a base level called Red and two elite levels: Silver and Gold. The amount of Tier points accrued on Virgin Atlantic depends mostly on the class of service and can range from two to six for a one-way flight.
Flying Club Qualification Requirements
Qualification requirements are as follows:
- Silver: 15 Tier points in a rolling 12-13 months
- Gold: 40 Tier points in a rolling 12-13 months
- Gold: One cabin upgrade for two when you renew your Gold membership and have 80 Tier points in your account.
Flying Club Bonus Miles
- Silver: 50% bonus miles
- Gold: 100% bonus miles
- Silver: Free seat selection within 14 days of departure
- One extra piece of baggage up to 50 pounds free
- Two pieces of carry-on luggage free
- No date change fees on mileage bookings
- Silver: Premium Economy Check-in
- Silver and Gold: Priority reservation waitlist
- Upper Class Check-In for member and the family
- Priority boarding
- Fast Track through Immigration & Security on departures from London Heathrow and Gatwick airports for member and a guest
- Priority baggage, check-in, boarding and security with Delta Air Lines
- Additional benefits when traveling on some Virgin Atlantic partner airlines
Complimentary Lounge Access
- Silver and Gold:
- Number 1 Traveler lounges at Heathrow T3, Gatwick (North and South Terminals), and Birmingham International.
- Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses for member and one guest
- Revivals lounge on a flight into Heathrow on a Virgin Atlantic operated flight
- Two lounge passes for earning 60 tier points
- Lounge access when traveling on some Virgin Atlantic partners
Notable Additional Rewards for Gold members
- 2,000 miles on your birthday.
- Free Silver membership for any adult at your home address.
- One companion ticket upon renewal
Other Ways to Earn Status
- Virgin Atlantic Black Card allows the member to earn one Tier point per $2,500 in spending capped at two points per month
The Virgin Atlantic Black Card is a great way to boost one’s Tier points balance. Since you are not limited to only one Virgin Atlantic credit card, it is theoretically possible to earn the Flying Club top Gold status by credit card spend only
Status Match/Status Challenge
- None is offered currently, but there have been generous status match offers in the past
Earning Elite Miles on Partner Airlines
You can earn elite miles by flying on select Virgin Atlantic partners. See earning rates here.