Like Singapore Airlines, Icelandair serves a small island nation, but it has a big international reputation. The airline has carved a niche for itself in the U.S.-Europe flight market by offering free stopovers in Iceland and frequently featuring super-low cash fares.
Icelandair has shown through its marketing that it’s good for much more than just getting you to and from Iceland, but a lot of frequent flyers discount it because of the lack of major airline and credit card partners.
While this is certainly an issue, especially as Barclays no longer issues a dedicated co-branded Icelandair credit card, Icelandair does still partner with Diners Club, Emirates, Lufthansa, British Airways and Air France. It also recently announced a new partnership with JetBlue. But the airlne’s real strength is offering solid economy class flights to Europe with flexible routing.
Best Credit Cards for Icelandair
- July 2018: Best Icelandair Rewards and Air Miles Credit Cards
- Clicking "Apply Now" will take you to the
Credit-Land.comwebsite to view card offers
- Fly on
Icelandairor Any Other Airline, Anytime
- Offers Available for Excellent and Good Credit
- Keflavk International Airport
How Can You Use Saga Points?
The main way to use Saga Points is for basic one-way or round-trip awards. You have three possible classes: Economy, Economy Comfort or Saga Class. Economy Comfort and Saga Class roughly correspond to the seats and service you’d expect in business and first class on a domestic flight. Economy Flex is another fare option. It costs more than standard Economy seats, but offers lower change and cancellation fees as well as the ability to upgrade to Economy Comfort with points. One-way awards are available, but round-trip flights offer a slight savings.
It can be a little tricky to figure out how many Saga Points you need for a flight because Icelandair doesn’t put out an award chart. Instead, you plug in where you’d like to go and the cabin you’d like to fly in, and the required mileage is calculated for you. Its great if you only have one flight in mind, but less convenient if you’re trying to figure out the best way to use your points.
The number of Saga Points required for any given trip is mysterious enough that you’ll have to trust the number the calculator spits out. The award pricing doesn’t seem to be exactly distance-based: flying to Europe from either New York or Portland, Oregon costs basically the same, but flights to Reykjavik have more than a 10,000-point difference. Small variations in award pricing of a few hundred points also exist within the same zones.
Though Icelandair doesnt technically offer points plus cash fares, there is an option to use your points to buy gift certificates and use that toward part of a cash booking. This is best avoided as the rates are not great. You’ll get from $60 for 10,000 points to $203 for 34,000 points.
You can also use your Saga Points to pay for food purchased in-flight at a rate of about one cent per point.
- No change fees on Saga or Economy Comfort class tickets
- One-way awards available
- Points expire four years after they’re earned
- Surcharge of ISK 500 (about $3.50) on award bookings
- Transatlantic awards must be booked by phone
- Economy Flex awards require a minimum stay of two days or one Sunday
- Economy awards that aren’t Flex require a Sunday minimum stay
- Saga Class awards are not available for one-way bookings
- Economy awards carry a change fee of ISK 3,000 to 12,000 (about $22 to $85)
- Economy Flex cancellations cost ISK 3,000 (about $22)
- Only 50% of the points used to purchase non-Flex economy award flights are refunded for cancellations
Best Value Awards:
The best awards on Icelandair are on flights to Iceland from smaller airports in North America that would typically require a connection to a hub. They offer direct flights from Anchorage, Boston, Denver, Minneapolis, Orlando, Seattle, Vancouver and Portland, Oregon.
Though the exact points required vary by location, it costs around 60,000 Saga Points roundtrip for a flight to Iceland from these cities. That means you’ll pay about the same for an alliance airline flight, but you’ll get much better routing.
Worst Value Awards:
Icelandair is best for economy travelers. Compared to many other carriers the cost of Icelandair’s premium class cabins is high. New York to Paris roundtrip in Economy Comfort runs 168,000, while Saga Class clocks in at 234,000 points.
Icelandair’s upper class cabins are comparable to domestic or intra-European premium classes, not to typical international business and first class cabins. As a result, an upper class ticket on their good routes from the U.S. to Europe with a free Iceland stopover are an even worse deal than they sound.
The Good Stuff: Upgrades and Elite Status
You can use Saga Points to upgrade cash tickets purchased in Economy Flex to Economy Comfort or from Economy Comfort to Saga Class. Mileage upgrades must be completed at least 24 hours before departure.
Rates for upgrading from Economy Flex to Economy Comfort are roughly the same number of points required to purchase an economy seat with points. Saga Class upgrades from Economy Comfort are twice the miles required for upgrades from Economy to Economy Comfort.
Saga Club Elite Levels and Perks
Each subsequent level includes the perks of the previous level unless stated otherwise.
- Saga Silver: One complimentary upgrade per year, lounge access, business class check-in, ability to buy Saga Silver status for members spouse, additional baggage allowance, limo service to and from Keflavk Airport discounted to ISK 4,400 (about $32) when traveling in Saga Class
- Saga Gold: Unlimited complimentary upgrades, ability to gift Saga Gold status to spouse free of charge, limo service discounted to ISK 4,400 (about $32) when flying any class, free parking at Keflavk Airport, one free hotel stay in the U.S. or Iceland, free Wi-Fi where available
Associated Credit Cards
Barclays formerly partnered with Icelandair to issue World MasterCard, but they were discontinued in 2014. It’s unclear if they will be revived. Previously, there were no-fee and $39-annual-fee versions with a maximum 20,000 Saga Points sign-up bonus.
Travel Credit Cards You May Like
British Airways Visa Signature® Card
- + In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- + Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- Earn a further 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
Discover it® Miles
- + Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- + No Blackout Dates - fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- + Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- + Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 30,000 Miles, you get 60,000 Miles. That's $600 towards travel!
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Discover Match™ details & other information.
- No Annual Fee
Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card
- + Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates
- No foreign transaction fees
- + Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
JetBlue® Plus MasterCard®
- 6x Points on JetBlue Purchases
- 2x Points on Dining and Groceries
- 1x Points on Gas
- 1x Points on All Other Purchases
- 40,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days
- 5,000 bonus points annually after your account anniversary
- 10% of your points back every time you redeem
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
- % 50% in-flight savings