El Al doesn’t have a lot of airline mileage partners – in fact, there are only three left since it lost the partnership with American (South African Airways, Air Mexico, and Qantas), but the appeal of El Al, and one of the major reasons why it has so many devout followers, is security.
The Jewish State’s airline is considered the safest in the world by public and industry experts alike. In addition, El Al is a transfer partner of two U.S.-based credit card programs, AMEX Membership Rewards and Diners Club, which makes earning Matmid points on the ground a bit easier.
There are four elite levels in the Matmid program: Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Top Platinum. Qualification requirements are as follows:
- Silver: 800 points or 700 points and 12 flight segments.
- Gold: 1,500 points or 1,300 points and 25 flight segments.
- Platinum: 3,000 points or 2,800 points and 40 flight segments.
- Top Platinum: 7,000 points or 6,700 points and 60 flight segments.
- Silver: Reduced price last-minute upgrade to Business Class for members who have accumulated 1,000 Basic Points or more in the last 12 months (some fares are ineligible).
- Gold and Platinum: Guaranteed upgrade to Business Class for double points (some fares are ineligible) and reduced price last-minute upgrade to Business Class.
- Platinum: Upgrade to First Class for 50% discount on the reduced price last-minute upgrade.
- Top Platinum: Platinum upgrades plus two free Business Class upgrades.
Matmid Bonus Miles
- Silver: 10% extra points.
- Gold: 25% extra points.
- Platinum: 50% extra points.
- Top Platinum: 70% extra points.
- Silver: Two suitcases up to 50 lbs. each.
- Gold and above: Two suitcases up to 70 lbs. each.
Economy Plus Preferred Seat
- For Top Platinum member + one accompanying person on the flight.
- Silver and above:
- Guaranteed seat in economy.
- Priority on Waiting List.
- Top Platinum:
- Personal account manager.
- Concierge service.
Complimentary Lounge Access
Elite members have access to the King David Lounges in Ben Gurion and overseas airports.
- Silver: $500 annually for member and up to 20 accompanying passengers annually.
- Gold: Member and up to 20 accompanying passengers annually.
- Platinum: Member and up to 40 accompanying passengers annually.
- Top Platinum: Member and up to 60 accompanying passengers annually.
Notable Additional Rewards for Elite members
- Gold: Lifetime Gold Membership awarded to members of age 67 and over, if during the previous 10 years they held Gold level or above.
- Platinum and Top Platinum: High availability of award tickets.
- Top Platinum:
- Platinum membership for member’s spouse.
- Transportation to the airport for members with award First Class tickets.
Other Ways to Earn Status
Status Match/Status Challenge
El Al doesn’t appear to have official status-matching promotions at this time, but it will match the status on a case-to-case basis. El Al may ask for a year of flying statements.
Earning Elite Points on Partner Airlines
- Not available.