Credit card companies, like American Express, Chase and others, continue to up the ante as they roll out new rewards credit cards with better benefits and higher annual fees. Metal credit cards that are heavy and produce a significant “clank” when they hit the counter make a statement. But metal cards can’t compare to bragging to your friends that you’re saving the ocean with your new American Express credit card made from recycled ocean plastic.
American Express Partners With Parley to Reduce Waste
There are literally islands of plastic floating in the middle of the ocean. And that’s a total shame. Luckily for us, organizations like Parley have a mission to combat marine plastic pollution by making companies aware of their impact on our planet.
American Express has partnered with Parley to make changes at the corporate level and inside their Centurion Lounges. The next time you use your American Express Platinum card to enter a Centurion Lounge, you’ll notice quite a few changes.
American Express has pledged to incorporate Parley’s AIR strategy of Avoid, Intercept and Redesign to reduce their carbon footprint and use of single-use plastics:
- Phase out single-use plastic straws and coffee stirrers for all its major offices and Centurion airport lounges globally within 30 days
- Phase out single-use plastic for Centurion airport lounges by the end of the year
- Set a comprehensive waste reduction strategy to reduce single-use plastic and increase recycling rates in its operations globally by the end of the year
- Pursue zero waste certification for its New York City headquarters by 2025
- Enable American Express colleagues to be a part of the solution by engaging in annual company-run coastal and river clean-ups
And there are many more changes coming from Amex that will help make our world a better place.
American Express Card Made Out of Recycled Ocean Plastic
One of the coolest by-products of American Express’ partnership with Parley is their strategy to reduce “virgin plastic” in credit cards and related products. The new credit card is currently in prototype and should be available in the next 12 months.
Best Credit Cards with Bonuses from our Partners
- January 2019: Best Credit Cards with Bonuses
- Clicking "Apply Now" will take you to the
Credit-Land.comwebsite to view card offers
- Earn Flexible Miles or Cash Back
- Offers Available for Excellent and Good Credit
You can bet that using recycled ocean plastic will be a huge selling point for everyone who owns an electric car, solar panels and other planet-friendly initiatives.
Click here to learn more about the American Express partnership with Parley.
The end result isn’t a new co-branded, eco-conscious credit card for American Express. Instead, it seems that they will be implementing a strategy to reduce single-use plastics across their entire organization and family of credit cards. This will surely reduce their costs and will be a strong marketing pitch for people who are concerned with the environment.