Chase is eliminating return and price protections for all of its cards. If these valuable protections are important to you, check out our list of excellent alternatives from Citi, Discover and American Express. Let’s take a look at what each issuer offers before getting into the specific cards.
Citi’s Price Rewind and Return Protections
Citi offers the most benefits, giving cardholders their famous Price Rewind and return protection. With Price Rewind, Citi will reimburse you for the difference in price if you find an item you’ve purchased for less within 60 days.
In fact, Citi goes one step further and actually searches for lower prices on the items you’ve purchased. You just have to register your purchase with the issuer and they’ll do the research. You can get up to $500 back per item.
Citi’s return protection will reimburse you up to $500 per item ($2,500 per year) if a vendor won’t accept a return of an item within 90 day of purchase.
Discover’s Price Protections
Discover will refund you up to $500 ($2,500 per year) if you see a lower price on an item you’ve already bought. The claim must be made within 90 days of the purchase.
American Express’ Return Protections
American Express does not offer price protection, but it does give you return protection. Their coverage gives you 90 days to make a claim on an item that a merchant won’t accept as a return. You can get up $300 per item and $1,000 per year.
Flexible Points Credit Cards: Citi’s Price Rewind
If you want a card with purchase protections that also offers flexible rewards, a great sign-up bonus and excellent benefits, these are our picks.
Citi Premier℠ Card
- + Earn 3 points on Travel, Including Gas Stations
- + Earn 2 points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- + Earn 1 points on All Other Purchases
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- 60,000 Points are redeemable for $750 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
- + Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
The Citi ThankYou program has several excellent airline transfer partners. And the Citi ThankYou Premier card is a great option for using that program. For just $95 a year (first year waived), you’ll get a 50,000-point sign-up bonus, plus 3x points on travel and gas and 2x on dining out and entertainment.
Premium Travel Credit Cards With Purchase/Return Protections
Looking for a premium travel card packed with benefits including purchase protections? Check out our top picks.
Citi Prestige® Card
- + Earn 5X ThankYou points on Air travel and Restaurants, 3X ThankYou points on Hotels and Cruise Lines, 2X ThankYou points on Entertainment (former cardholders only, through 8/31/19), and 1X ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- + $100 Global Entry fee credit every 5 years
- + $250 air travel credit
- You'll get 50,000 bonus points for spending $4,000 within the first 3 months of account opening, equal to at least $500 when redeemed for travel.
- Complimentary 4th Night Stay: Get your fourth night free with no black-out dates if you book four nights in a row through ThankYou.com or your Citi Concierge, and pay using your card, ThankYou points, or a combination of both. Starting September 2019, this perk is capped at two uses per year; uses before that date don’t count toward the cap.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- 5x Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel
- 5x Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com
- + Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world
- + Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More
- 60,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline
- Terms Apply
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
- + Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required
The Citi Prestige card really shines when it comes to hotel benefits. If you book four consecutive nights through ThankYou.com, you’ll get a free fourth night. That’s an unlimited perk, so you could save a lot of money if you often stay at hotels for four-night stretches.
The Prestige card also comes with Priority Pass lounge access and a $250 air travel credit, among other benefits.
The Amex Platinum outdoes other premium travel cards in just about every way. More airline transfer partners? Check. Better lounge benefits (include the excellent Centurion Lounges)? Check. What about travel credits? It’s got those too, including a $200 airline fee credit and $200 in Uber rides. Plus you’ll get a big 60,000-point sign-up bonus.
Business Travel Credit Cards With Solid Protections
If you’re a small business owner looking for a great card that offers return protection, consider the excellent Amex Business Gold Rewards card.
American Express Business Gold Card
- + Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month
- + 4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months.
- 25% Pay with Points Rebate - you'll get 25% points back after you use points for all or part of an eligible flight booked with Amex Travel. It is limited to up to 250,000 points per calendar year.
- Get up to 1 free year of ZipRecruiter Standard and up to 1 free year of G Suite Basic for up to 3 users, a combined value up to $3,200.
- Automatic Enrollment in Pay Over Time - a flexible payment option for purchases over $100.
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
- + Connect to Quickbooks, access SpendManagerSM, receive a YearEnd Summary, and more.
Not only is the Business Gold Rewards card part of the flexible Membership Rewards program, but it comes with a generous 50,000-point sign-up bonus and excellent earning categories for businesses.
You’ll earn triple points in one category of your choice from the following options: airfare, advertising, gas, shipping or computer expenses (including hardware, software and cloud computing). The remaining categories get 2x points.
Airline Miles Credit Cards With Price Protections
If you’re looking for a card that’s great for air travel, and you want purchase protections, consider the Discover it Miles card. The miles you earn on the card can be used for travel on any airline. Plus it comes with price protection.
Discover it® Miles
- + Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- + No Blackout Dates - fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- + Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- + Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the Miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That’s $700 towards travel - $350 for the Miles you’ve earned plus $350 more with your Discover Match®.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites. Activate for free.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Discover Match™ details & other information.
- No Annual Fee
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard®
- + Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- + Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations
- + Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases
- + Designed for businesses
- Earn 60,000 Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases in first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
The Discover it Miles card is straightforward and simple. You’ll earn 1.5 miles per dollar spent on all purchases, and you can use those miles toward any travel purchases. There are no blackout dates, no restrictions and no special travel partners or websites to worry about.
Discover will also match all of the miles you earn during your first year as a cardholder. That means you’ll essentially be getting an incredible 3% return on all purchases for the first 12 months.
If you’re set on an co-branded airline card—free checked bags can come in handy!—and you fly American often, the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select card is a great option. American recently improved this card, too.
You’ll get 60,000 points for signing up, plus double points at restaurants and gas stations, in addition to American Airlines purchases. Of course you’ll get a free checked bag, but you’ll also get a $100 flight discount every year you spend $20,000 on the card.
If you’re concerned about losing return and price protections with your Chase cards, you have options. Citi, Discover and American Express cards all have one or both of these protections, and their cards have a lot to offer.