All Nippon Airlines, or ANA, is the second biggest airline in Japan after the flag carrier Japan Airlines. It consistently receives high ratings from both customers and industry organizations, such as Skytrax. The praise is well-deserved as the airline offers superb service in all classes, both in the air and on the ground.
ANA’s frequent flyer program, Mileage Club, has recently undergone massive changes, switching from a distance-based to a zone-based program. While some of the great deals offered by the old Mileage Club no longer exist, the new program has some sweet spots of its own.
The new program is also complicated. It has two different standard redemption charts: one for their own flights, and another for Star Alliance and other partners. Mileage Club also has a seasonal chart with the dates for low, regular and high season in different zones, and complex stopover and layover rules.
In addition to being a member of the Star Alliance, the biggest airline alliance in the world, ANA has partnerships with several other carriers, including Eithad, Garuda Indonesia, Germanwings, Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin Atlantic.
When Should You Use ANA Mileage Club Awards?
There are excellent redemptions available from ANA, especially considering their low fuel surcharges and excellent service. Here are some options for getting the most out your Mileage Club miles:
- Flights on ANA from the U.S. to Japan are only 40,000 miles in economy and 75,000 miles in business class roundtrip during the low season. There’s a $180 fuel surcharge, plus taxes and fees.
- Also during the low season, roundtrip flights on ANA to other countries in Asia are 45,000 miles in economy and 80,000 miles in business class with a $61 fuel surcharge. Those routes include a free stopover in Japan.
- Flying on partner LOT Polish Airlines to Europe only costs 88,000 miles roundtrip in business class. The fuel surcharge is $120.
- Round-trip business class tickets to Brazil, Chile or Argentina on TAM are only 80,000 miles with no fuel surcharges.
Unlike some airlines, ANA levies the same fuel surcharge for economy and business class tickets.
Partners bookable online:
- Adria Airways
- Aegean Airlines
- Air Canada
- Air China
- Air India
- Air New Zealand
- Asiana Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Copa Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Ethiopian Airlines
- EVA Air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Scandinavian Airlines
- Shenzhen Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- TAP Portugal
- Thai Airways
- Turkish Airlines
Partners bookable by phone:
- Air Dolomiti
- Air Macau
- Etihad Airways
- Garuda Indonesia
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Jet Airways
- Philippine Airlines
- TAM Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
When to Book by Phone
- Award flights involving partners not available online
- For itineraries with stopovers outside of Japan
- Flights from North America to Asia, except Japan
- All flights to Oceania, including Australia and New Zealand
- Any search for a valid itinerary that results in an error message
See below for our phone booking tips.
How to Search for ANA Award Seats Online
You must be a Mileage Club member in order to search, but you don’t have to have miles in your account. After you log in, you’ll be taken to the screen below. Click on “members service.”
On the following screen, choose “award reservation” under “awards redemption.”
If you want to search for a simple round-trip flight in economy, just enter the departure and destination cities and dates. Then click “search.”
The next screen displays a week of flights, including three days before and after the requested dates. Choose the best available dates and click “next” to finalize your purchase.
If you’re booking a flight in business or first class, or you want a more complicated itinerary, go to “other classes/itineraries.”
Fill all the relevant fields and hit “search.”
Pick your outbound flight and hit “next.” If you don’t see the flight you want, click “modify search” and change the date. Go through the same process to choose your inbound flight.
How to Confirm and Book ANA Mileage Club Award Flights Online
After you decide on your itinerary, you’ll be taken to the payment screen summarizing the charges on the flight, including taxes, fees and surcharges. Input your payment information and finalize your purchase.
Note that booking complex itineraries using stopovers might not work on the ANA website. If that’s the case, you’ll need to call.
Phone Booking Tips
ANA award booking phone number: 1-800-235-9262
Business hours (Pacific Time):
- Monday through Friday: 5:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, Sunday and holidays: 5:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
At the time of writing, ANA’s interface is new and a little buggy, so you might have to call in order to complete your booking. ANA agents are usually well-trained and very helpful, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared and write down any flight information you’ve found while researching online before calling.
Important Award Booking Considerations
- No one-way redemptions
- ANA offers lower fuel surcharges than its partner airlines on flights to Asia
- One stopover and one open jaw allowed per flight
- Excellent low season business class awards to Japan and Asia