Featured Credit Cards
The World’s Grumpiest and Happiest Travelers
We’ve all been there. Through our experiences and through various stories we’ve heard, we develop—correctly or not—a sense of which countries are home to the most foul and fair tempered tourists. But before we set off, what do we have to go on but hearsay and opinion?
RewardExpert set out to answer both questions: which countries do the world’s grumpiest travelers call home, and which countries are home to the happiest? And we did so on the soundest and surest footing as possible: numbers.
We used hotel reviews to get a handle on tourist sentiment, and we used a lot of them: 3.5 million reviews for 13,410 hotels in 70 countries, including reviewers from 83 countries. We used an updated version of the methodology we used in our previous report, in which we ranked tourists from each U.S. state according to their relatively grumpy or happy dispositions. We divided our hotel review data set into subsets according to the number of stars, on a one- to five-star scale, with the 955,754 reviews with one or two-star reviews indicating pure “grumpiness.” We used the subset of reviews with five-star ratings, 1,384,241 in all, to measure raw happiness. We calculated an average of these two, as a percentage of all reviews by visitors from each country of origin, in order to rank them on a scale from “grumpy” to “happy.”
Top Ten Countries With the Grumpiest Travelers
The Top Ten Countries Home to the Happiest Travelers
Get the Most Out of Your Travels With the Right Credit Card
There are a lot of travel credit cards on the market, but the best ones offer cardholders some excellent perks, discounts and even free airfare and hotel stays. Let’s take a look at some of RewardExpert’s top picks.
Simplicity Is the Key
If you’ve never had a travel card before, or if you just like to keep things simple, you should consider getting a one that works like a cashback card. You’ll earn miles with these cards, but you can redeem those miles for statement credits toward any travel purchase.
The Discover it Miles card, for instance, earns 1.5 miles for every dollar spent. Each mile can then be redeemed toward one cent in travel. The best part is that you can use those miles to pay for travel that you’ve purchased from any travel provider, including airlines, hotels, car rental companies and more. There aren’t any special travel partners to worry about. Just buy what you want and redeem your miles.
Discover it® Miles
- + Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- + No Blackout Dates - fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- + Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- + Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 30,000 Miles, you get 60,000 Miles. That's $600 towards travel!
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Discover Match™ details & other information.
- No Annual Fee
The Ultimate In Flexibility
If you want to dig a little deeper into the points and miles game, consider the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express card. This card is great because the points you earn can be transferred to a huge number of airlines or used for stays at Starwood and Marriott properties.
Transferring points to airline frequent flyer programs can lead to some great redemption values where your points are worth well over one cent each. You’ll even get a 5,000-point bonus for every 20,000 points you transfer to an airline with the SPG Amex. The SPG program is truly unrivaled in its flexibility.
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- 6x Starpoints at Participating Starwood and Marriott Rewards Hotels
- 2x Starpoints on All Other Purchases
- + 1 Free Night Award every year after Card account anniversary
- 75,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months
- Receive a 5,000 Starpoint bonus when you transfer 20,000 Starpoints to a participating frequent flyer program
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
The Most Benefits and Perks
If like to travel in luxury, getting a premium credit card is the way to go. While these cards often come with hefty price tags, they also offer tremendous perks that will make any travel experience more enjoyable. The American Express Platinum card is the original luxury card, and it’s still one of the best.
With the Amex Platinum, you’ll get complimentary access to Amex’s swanky Centurion Lounges, plus a Priority Pass Select membership that will give you access to over 1,000 lounges in airports around the world. And if you happen to be flying on Delta, you’ll get into SkyClub lounges for free, too.
On top of that, you’ll get an annual $200 airline fee credit to cover bag fees, change fees and in-flight purchases; $200 in Uber credits every year, which can certainly help you get to your hotel from the airport; and a $100 credit to pay for Global entry or PreCheck.
There are even more perks, like concierge service, complimentary benefits at select hotels and more. While the annual fee is high, you can actually make money with this card if you take advantage of all the perks.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- 5x Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel
- 5x Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com
- + Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world
- + Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More
- 60,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline
- Terms Apply
- No Foreign Transaction Fee
- + Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required
Find the Best Card for You
Whichever travel credit card you decide to get, make sure it’ll help you save money and travel better. If it doesn’t, there’s no point in getting it, no matter how appealing the welcome offer is. There’s nothing wrong with keeping things simple or coming with up a complex strategy for maximizing your points. Just be sure you get out there and take advantage of everything your new card has to offer.
RewardExpert analyzed a data set containing 3,488,473 international hotel reviews that contained data indicating both the country of origin for the reviewer and the country in which the hotel is located. We divided this data set into subsets corresponding to the number of stars, on a scale of one to five, the reviewer rated the hotel. The 955,754 reviews with ratings of one or two stars were considered to be our “grumpy” set. The 1,384,241 reviews with five-star ratings constituted our “happy” set. We next counted the total number of reviews left by tourists originating from each country and calculated the percentage of “grumpy” or “happy” reviews for each country. Countries were ranked on the basis of the average of the rank assigned for “grumpy” or “happy” reviews by tourists originating from each country of origin.