- for Wyndham Rewards® Users68
- for Hotel Rewards65
- for Everyday use50
Wyndham Rewards® Visa® Credit Card
Hotel rewards programs are not just for the likes of Hilton, Hyatt and Starwood. Many chains offer loyalty programs and co-branded credit cards to their guests. Wyndham Rewards partners with Barclaycard and has a rewards card on the market.
If the Wyndham Rewards Visa card is not on your radar and you often stay at Wyndham, pay attention. The card comes with a sign-up bonus of 15,000 points and earns a bonus in a variety of spending categories. And using Wyndham points is easy—award reservations require a flat 15,000 points per night, no matter the hotel category.
Barclays offers two different co-branded Wyndham cards: one with an annual fee and one without. This review focuses on the no-fee Wyndham rewards card.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Wyndham Rewards® Visa® Card offers and the value of the Barclays Wyndham Rewards® points you earn.
The Wyndham card offers new members a bonus of 15,000 points after making just one purchase. Since rewards nights cost 15,000 points, buying a candy bar at a gas station will earn you one free night in a standard room at any participating Wyndham property in the world. Not many credit cards offer a welcome bonus after just one purchase. To maximize the bonus, you’ll want to redeem your free night at an expensive resort in a popular location, such as Miami or San Diego.
What You Get
- Earn 15,000 points after after your first purchase
- 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening
- 3 points per dollar spent at Wyndham properties
- 2 points per dollar for gas, utilities and groceries
Wyndham Rewards points expire four years after posting to a member’s account, which is a generous time frame. Make sure to redeem the points within 48 months after earning them.
What is the value of the Wyndham Rewards® Points?
Since rewards nights cost a flat rate of 15,000 points, you have some control over how much value you receive from each point. Booking free nights at higher-category hotels will yield more value, and booking free nights at lower-category properties will yield less. While the value is subject to how you redeem, Wyndham Rewards points are typically worth about 0.72 cent each.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPP:
The Best Ways to Redeem Wyndham Points
As with most hotel programs, the best way to redeem points is toward free stays. As discussed earlier, a free night at any participating property requires 15,000 Wyndham points.
It is also possible to book Go Fast awards, which are basically points and cash awards that you can use if you don’t have enough points to cover an entire stay. These nights costs 3,000 points plus cash, which depends on the property. A 15,000-point bonus after one purchase on the Wyndham Rewards credit card will get you five Go Fast nights as long as you cover the co-pay.
Super 8 PetersburgPetersburg, VA · Category 3Points price15,000pointsDollars price/Night$62.89
Ramada Miami SpringsMiami International Airport, FL · Category 5Points price15,000pointsDollars price/Night$94
Ramada BronxNY · Category 7Points price15,000pointsDollars price/Night$133.2
Ramada Encore Seoul DongdaemunSouth Korea · Category 8Points price15,000pointsDollars price/Night$53.53
Days Inn Berlin WestGermany · Category 1Points price15,000pointsDollars price/Night$68.16
Ramada Airport Hotel PragueCzech Republic · Category 5Points price15,000pointsDollars price/Night$109.27
Other ways you can redeem points
The best use of yours points is toward stays at Wyndham properties. Every 15,000 points is equal to a free night.
Wyndham Rewards members can earn bonus points for booking car rentals with participating partners.
Starting at 2,200 points, you can redeem for gift cards with popular merchants, such as Home Depot, Best Buy and Olive Garden, but the option doesn’t present a great value for your points.
Everyday Earnings with Wyndham Rewards® Visa® Card
The Wyndham Rewards Visa card earns three points for each dollar spent at Wyndham properties and two points for every dollar spent on gas, utilities and groceries. All other purchases earn a flat rate of one point per dollar.
No doubt, the card’s earning structure could be better, but you don’t have to pay an annual fee every year just to keep the card. Additionally, the ability to earn a bonus in a few rewards categories, as opposed to strictly for hotel spending, is a plus.
Wyndham Rewards Visa Credit Card Rewards
- Car Rental
- Wyndham purchases
- All Other Purchases
No Foreign Transaction Fees
You will save up to a 3 percent fee on transactions when using this card abroad.
Fees: the cost of Having Wyndham Rewards® Visa® Card
The Wyndham card costs absolutely nothing, even after the introductory year, which means that all the rewards you earn are free. For every $5,000 you spend at Wyndham hotels, you can earn a free night. Even though it might take a while to earn multiple free nights, you don’t have to worry about meeting certain spending thresholds to justify keeping the card. Also, paying zero in card membership fees makes it easy to keep the card for many years, which will help you build long-term credit history.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37 Variable±
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
The Wyndham Rewards Visa is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Wyndham Rewards Visa Card
The Wyndham Visa from Barclays is a decent rewards card for a traveler who often stays at Wyndham properties. Let’s review the card’s top five benefits.
- Nice Sign-Up Bonus: The 15,000 points bonus is enough for one free night at any property.
- No Minimum Spending Requirements: Whether you spend $1 or $1,000, the welcome bonus will be applied to your Wyndham Rewards account. Earning one free night is that easy!
- No Annual Fee: You’ll never have to pay an annual fee throughout your card membership, which means keeping this card presents no risk to you.
- Flat-Rate Redemptions: No matter which hotel you stay at, redemption rates are the same, which can benefit you if you choose a high-end resort at a popular destination.
- 0% APR on Balance Transfers: Transfer your balance within 45 days of card opening and pay no interest for the first 15 billing cycles.
Should You Get the Wyndham Rewards Visa?
If you find yourself staying at Wyndham hotels often and participating in the Wyndham Rewards program, you can increase your return quite a bit by simply paying for your stays with the co-branded Wyndham credit card. Even if you don’t use this card to pay for your everyday expenses, using it to pay for Wyndham stays will earn you three points per dollar spent.
Because the card costs nothing, applying for it carries no risk. Additionally, holding a no-fee card long-term helps increase the average age of your accounts and having more available credit helps decrease your utilization ratio. Those two factors can contribute to a higher credit score.
The card also offers zero foreign transaction fees, which is a huge perk for a no annual fee card. That benefit eliminates all worries when staying at international Wyndham properties.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- You might be wondering where Wyndham Rewards points can take you. Besides Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Wyndham Garden Hotels and the Wyndham Collection, points earned with the card can be redeemed at the following chains: Baymont Inn & Suites, Days Inn, Dazzler Hotels, Dolce, Esplendor Boutique Hotels, Hawthorn Suites, Howard Johnson’s, Knights Inn, Microtel Inn and Suites, Ramada, Super 8, The Trademark Hotel Collection, Travelodge, TRYP by Wyndham and Wingate by Wyndham. You might not want to book a free night at a Travelodge or a Super 8 motel since booking expensive resorts is where the true value lies thanks to the programs fixed-rate awards.
- No, the Wyndham Rewards Visa does not charge foreign transaction fees, which makes this card a great option for international business travelers. With other cards, foreign transaction fees apply to purchases made at merchants and restaurants outside of the United States. Depending on the card issuer and the card network, those fees can be as high as 3 percent per transaction.Carrying a card that waives foreign transaction fees can help save a substantial amount of money on purchases made overseas. The Wyndham card is also a Visa, so you can rest assured that you can swipe it almost anywhere in the world.
- Yes, the Wyndham Rewards Visa comes with an embedded microchip. The purpose of the chip is to provide enhanced security and fraud prevention to cardholders who want to protect their account information from being stolen.Do not worry if you’re purchasing items from a merchant that does not have a chip reader and cannot process your card that way. The card still has a magnetic stripe on the back, and you can swipe the card the old-fashioned way to pay for your purchase. The chip technology is now used worldwide and can help protect you from unauthorized charges.
Barclaycard offers a few options when it comes to co-branded hotel rewards credit cards. Below are some of the other options.
Other Barclays Hotel cards
|Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card||Diamond Resorts International® MasterCard®|
|Sign-up bonus||32,000 points||15,000 points||2,500 points|
|APR On Purchases||16.74% to 26.49% Variable±||16.74% to 26.49% Variable±||16.49% to 23.49% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$560||$173||$179|
The Choice Privileges Visa card offers 32,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. It also offers cardholders an additional 8,000 points after they spend $10,000 or more before the account anniversary date. The Choice card earns 15 points per dollar spent on hotel stays within the Choice Hotels International portfolio, five points per dollar for Choice Privileges points or gift cards, and two points per dolla on everything else.
The Choice card is designed for those who frequently stay at the following brands: Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Hotels & Suites, MainStay Suites, Suburban, Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn. It has no annual fee.
The Diamond Resorts International MasterCard offers customers 2,500 Diamond Plus points after the first purchase, and every $2,000 spent earns another 500 points. The card essentially earns four points per dollar spent. Additionally, Diamond Resorts purchases earn double the points, and there’s no annual fee to keep the card.
The Diamond card targets those who are members of the timeshare resort club which serves almost 400 vacation destinations in the United States and various international locations.
Compare Wyndham Rewards Visa to Other Cards
The Wyndham Rewards Visa is a decent hotel rewards card, but there are other co-branded cards that offer plenty of rewards.
- IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card
60,000 points offerRead Review
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
$100 statement credit offerRead Review
- Radisson Rewards™ Visa® Card
30,000 points offer
The IHG Rewards Club credit card from Chase offers new cardholders a welcome bonus of 60,000 points after they spend $2,000 in the first three months of opening an account. The card earns five points per dollar at IHG hotels and two points per dollar at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants. All other purchases earn one point per dollar. The card also comes with Platinum Elite status and a free night every account anniversary. The annual fee is just $29 after the first year.
The Starwood Preferred Guest Amex card offers new members 0 Starpoints that can be redeemed toward free stays at Starwood and Marriott hotels or for flights on about 30 airline partners. The Starwood Preferred Guest card charges an annual fee of $95 after introductory year, but it offers flexible rewards that can be quite valuable. It’s possible to earn Gold status with this card by spending $40,000 on it annually.
The Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa offers new cardholders 30,000 points after spending 1,000 on the card within the first 90 days. Members can earn one free night after charging $10,000 before card renewal. The card earns three points per dollar spent at Carlson Rezidor hotels and one point per dollar in all other categories.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Wyndham Rewards Visa, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa Signature card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% APR on all Wyndham Timeshare Purchases for six billing cycles
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Ongoing APR:
- 16.74% to 26.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.74% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
This Barclaycard comes with a variety of security benefits, such as chip technology that can be used everywhere a Visa card is accepted, access to online banking via computer or smartphone, $0 fraud liability and free access to a FICO score online.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Reports:
- Monitor your credit history for unusual activity, including recently opened accounts and inquiries made on your history.
Barclaycard participates in Apple Pay, which is available on all U.S.-branded MasterCard and Visa cards. The feature allows card members to pay for purchases by simply tapping their Apple device at participating merchants.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Barclays offers secondary rental car coverage against theft or damage. Primary cardholder and additional drivers are covered when they decline the auto rental company’s collision damage waiver and pay for the rental with their Barclaycard.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- Cardholders can receive up to $3,000 per passenger for damaged or lost bags. Coverage includes cardholder and immediate family members on the same travel itinerary.
- Roadside Dispatch:
- Call 1-800-847-2869 for roadside assistance available 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Service includes towing (up to 5 miles), tire changing, jump-starts, lockout service, fuel delivery (up to 5 gallons) and winching. Service charges apply.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance:
- Trip cancellation or interruption may include reasons such as death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness. Cardholders can receive up to $1,500 for themselves and immediate family members.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $200,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with their Wyndham card.
- Travel Assistance Services:
- When you’re 50 miles or more away from home, travel assistant services may provide information on travel requirements, emergency cash transfers, medical and legal assistance.