- for Walmart Customers59
- for Cash Rewards61
- for Everyday Use64
Walmart MasterCard Credit Card Review
It might make sense to get the Walmart MasterCard, though, if you have an expensive purchase coming up at Walmart and you want interest-free financing for 6 to 12 months. Unfortunately, you’ll have to forfeit your cashback rewards on any purchase that gets 0% APR.
Plus, the special financing period is only useful if you can pay off the entire balance within the designated time period. If you can’t, you’ll be charged the interest retroactively from the beginning of the financing period.
The Walmart MasterCard generally doesn’t require a high credit score for approval, so it could be a good card to get if you want to build or improve your credit history, too.
Overall, though, it’s likely that another card would be a better choice and more rewarding than the Walmart MasterCard. We will go into detail about a few of those card options later in this article.
Walmart® Credit Card Features and Benefits
The Walmart MasterCard can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted, including Walmart and Sam’s Club stores. With this card, you’ll get 3.0 percent back for online purchases from Walmart, 2.0 percent back at Murphy USA and Walmart gas stations and 1.0 percent for everything else.
You’ll also get 6 to 12 months of interest-free financing, depending on the size of the purchase. Purchases between $150 and $298.99 will receive 0% APR for six months and purchases of $299 or more will receive 0% APR for 12 months. Keep in mind that spending rewards do not apply to purchases where you receive special financing. The Walmart MasterCard doesn’t have an annual fee.
What You Get
- 3.0 percent back at Walmart.com
- 2.0 percent back for gas purchases from Murphy USA and Walmart
- No annual fee
- 6 or 12 months of 0% APR on purchases of $150 or more
- Free FICO scores
- Free authorized users
Rewards earned can be redeemed for statement credits to reduce your balance.
The Walmart MasterCard offers in-store financing, depending on the amount of your purchase. Purchases between $150 and $298.99 receive 0% APR for six months, and purchases of $299 or more receive 0% APR for 12 months. Keep in mind that spending rewards do not apply to purchases where you receive special financing.
If you don’t pay off your purchase in full by the end of the special financing period, you will be charged for the interest on the unpaid amount from the date of the purchase. Be sure that you pay off your balance for any special financing offers before the special financing period is over. If you don’t, you’ll be hit with some major interest charges.
The main customer perks offered by the Walmart MasterCard are the rewards for everyday spending and special in-store financing for large purchases.
How Much Will You Earn with Walmart® Credit Card?
The Walmart MasterCard offers cash back on everyday purchases made with the card. You’ll get 3.0 percent cash back at Walmart.com, 2.0 percent back for gas purchased from Walmart and Murphy USA, and 1.0 percent back everywhere else. Rewards earned from everyday spending can be redeemed as statement credits to reduce your balance.
Walmart MasterCard Rewards
- Walmart.com purchases
- All Other Purchases
Should You Get the Walmart® Credit Card?
Overall, the Walmart MasterCard isn’t going to be a very good option for a lot of people. It offers 3.0 percent cash back for purchases from Walmart and Sam’s Club websites, 2.0 percent back at Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations, and 1.0 percent back on all other purchases.
In most cases, you’ll easily earn more rewards from a flat 2 percent cashback credit card, like Citi Double Cash, as you could with the Walmart MasterCard. Unless you do a lot of shopping online from Walmart and buy a lot of gas from Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations, you won’t get much from this card.
The main reason that the Walmart MasterCard might make sense is if you have a large purchase coming up and want to make use of 6 or 12 months of special financing. Keep in mind that these purchases won’t earn cash back, and you’ll have to pay off the purchase in full within the special financing period.
Since the Walmart card offers relatively few benefits, it is only a good choice under very specific circumstances. Otherwise, there are many other credit cards available that will offer a better return and/or more flexibility.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Customers can apply for credit at any Walmart register using a government-issued ID and an existing credit card. If you don’t have a credit card, you can apply for credit at Walmart’s jewelry kiosk.Approved customers will receive a temporary shopping pass, which is good for 24 hours at the store in which you were approved. When you use the temporary shopping pass for purchases, you will be asked to present your driver’s license to the cashier. The driver’s license number will function as your credit card for that day only.
- The Walmart MasterCard’s customer service department can be reached at 1-800-543-1987. The line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- No, all Walmart MasterCard cardholders are automatically enrolled in the Walmart rewards program. You just need to use your card in order to earn rewards.
- Any Walmart MasterCard cardholder who has an account in good standing is eligible to earn rewards. Walmart Business and Community accounts are not eligible to earn rewards.
- The Walmart card is accepted anywhere that MasterCard is accepted.
- You will receive your rewards every month in the form of a statement credit for the amount of the total rewards earned during the last earning period.
- Yes, certain purchases, including cash advances, quick cash advances, interest charges, purchases receiving an account opening discount, purchases on special financing and fees do not qualify to earn rewards.
- No, there’s no limit to the number of rewards that can be earned within the credit limit on your account.
- No, your rewards will not expire because they are automatically posted to your account every month.
- Purchases paid for with your Walmart MasterCard on Walmart.com will receive 3 percent cash back. This includes in-store pick up, grocery pick up and grocery delivery purchases when the transaction is paid for online.Orders that are placed on Walmart.com that are paid for in a store will receive 1 percent cash back. Products that are provided by third parties, such as Walmart Checks, will also receive 1 percent cash back.
- Fuel paid for with the Walmart MasterCard at participating Walmart and Murphy USA gas stations will earn 2 percent cash back. Purchases at Murphy Express, Tesso or Sunoco gas stations are not eligible to earn rewards.
- Most purchases made with the Walmart MasterCard will receive 1 percent back, including purchases made in Walmart stores, Walmart Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets and Sam’s Club stores. The only purchases that earn a bonus are those made from Walmart.com, which earn 3 percent back, and fuel from Walmart and Murphy USA, which earn 2 percent back.Purchases made with the Walmart MasterCard using Walmart Pay in a Walmart store, Walmart Supercenter or Neightbood Market store will receive 1 percent back as well. Purchases made with other mobile wallets also receive 1 percent cash back.Special financing purchases and account opening purchases receiving a discount do not earn any rewards.
- You can check your rewards balance by reviewing your statement under the Rewards Earned Summary Box or by signing into your account at Walmart.com/CreditLogin.
- You don’t need a very high credit score in order to be approved for the Walmart MasterCard. Most people who are approved report having a credit score of 610 or higher, so this could be a good card to use to build your credit history if you can’t get approved for a better credit card.Keep in mind that even if your credit score is higher than 610, it is not a guarantee that you will be approved. Your entire card application will be reviewed before a decision is made. Likewise, if your credit score is lower than 610, you could still be approved for the Walmart credit card.
In case Walmart isn’t always your store of choice, here are a couple of other credit cards for similar stores that are worth considering.
Compare Cards From Other Discount Stores
The Sam’s Club credit card offers a $45 sign-up bonus in the form of a statement credit when you open a Sam’s Club credit card and make a purchase of $45 or more on the same day. The Sam’s Club card offers 5 percent cash back on gas for your first $6,000 in purchases each year, 3 percent back on dining and travel and 1 percent back on all other purchases. The Sam’s Club card is going to be more rewarding than the Walmart MasterCard for most people.
The Costco Anywhere Visa card by Citi offers an introductory 0% APR period for purchases made within the first seven months as a cardholder. It offers 4 percent back on gas purchases worldwide, including gas at Costco, 3 percent back at restaurant and for eligible travel purchases, 2 percent back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com, and 1 percent back on all other purchases. The Costco Anywhere Visa card is actually a very good all around cashback credit card.
The Costco Anywhere Visa Business credit card is almost the same as the personal version of the credit card. However, it offers 4 percent back on the first $7,000 in annual gas purchases worldwide, instead of $6,000. If you’re a big gas spender, it’s a slightly better option.
Some Alternative Cards for Walmart® Credit Card
Before you apply for the Walmart MasterCard, it’s a good idea to take a look at a few other credit card options to see if they would offer more return on your everyday spending. There are many different cards to consider, but below we will take a closer look at the Discover it – Cashback Match, Citi Double Cash and the Blue Cash card from American Express.
- Discover it® - Cashback Match™
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash CardRead Review
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
$150 cashback bonus offerRead Review
Best Cashback Card
Of the options above, the best cashback card is Citi Double Cash. It offers 2.0 percent cash back on all purchases. You’ll get 1 percent when you make the purchase and 1 percent when you pay off your card.
When comparing this with the Walmart MasterCard, the only place you will be served better by the Walmart card is for online purchases from Walmart.com. For all other purchases, the Citi Double Cash card will be better, or at least as good.
An additional benefit of this is that you don’t have to pay attention to where you shop or fill up your gas tank. With Citi Double Cash, you’ll still earn 2.0 percent back no matter what. The Citi Double Cash card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Best Rotating Category Card
The best rotating category card is the Discover it – Cashback Match card. This card offers 5.0 percent cashback categories that rotate every quarter. The categories aren’t consistent from year to year, but often include gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs, department stores and Amazon. The Discover it card earns 1 percent cash back on all other purchases.
While you might miss out on a few percentage points of cash back from one category during a specific quarter, you’ll probably make up for it in other quarters, depending on where you spend money.
What makes this card even more amazing is that for your first year, Discover will double all of your rewards. That means that the 5.0 percent back categories will be doubled and essentially earn 10 percent back. Plus, your base level 1 percent back will be 2 percent back.
This alone makes the card almost unbeatable for the first year, regardless of what categories you spend money in. The Discover it card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Get the Biggest Bonus
If you’re looking for a big sign-up bonus with good everyday spending categories, the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express is worth serious consideration. It offers $150 back after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new card within your first three months as a cardholder.
Additionally, you’ll earn 3 percent cash back at U.S. supermarkets on your first $6,000 in purchases per year, 2 percent cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1 percent back on all other purchases.
Unless you spend more than $6,000 at Walmart.com during a calendar year, this card beats the Walmart MasterCard hands down. The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express does not have an annual fee.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Walmart MasterCard, it's worth taking a closer look at he terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- Ongoing APR:
- 18.15% to 24.15% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Will double the U.S. manufacturer’s original warranty on eligible items, as well as a service contract or optional extended warranty, where each is no longer than 12 months.
- Price Protection:
- If a newly bought item is advertised for a lower price within 60 days of purchase, a reimbursement may be awarded for the difference in price.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 21.15% to 27.15% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Walmart MasterCard offers standard security features, including:
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Mobile App:
- Track your account with the mobile app while you’re on the go.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Monitoring/Reports:
- Receive free FICO scores.
- Zero Fraud Liability:
- You will not be held liable for any fraudulent charges that are posted to your account.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
In addition to the benefits already discussed, the Walmart MasterCard offers the following:
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage for
- MasterCard Global Service:
- Available when traveling in a foreign country. Includes lost/stolen card reporting and replacement, emergency cash advances and information on ATM locations.
- Identity Theft Resolution Services:
- Provides assistance in the event of identity theft, including contacting credit bureaus and issuing an ID Theft Affidavit.
- Access to the Fuel Rewards Network:
- Cardholders can join the Fuel Rewards Network by linking their MasterCard to the network. Using the card at certain locations or for certain types of purchases will earn rewards in the form of discounts on gas purchases from participating gas stations.