Target REDcard™ Credit Card
Cardholders also receive early access to special sales events like Black Friday, plus free shipping and an extended period to return merchandise. One downside of the card is that you can only use it for Target purchases. Another negative is that the APR and late fees are extremely high, making it a terrible choice for anyone who does not pay off their balances each month.
If you’re a regular Target shopper with at least a fair credit score, you should consider the Target REDcard credit card, which works well for building credit and getting great discounts. Add a solid cashback card to your wallet, and you’ve got a good combination for the avid Target shopper.
Features and Benefits of Target Red Card
Target rewards its loyal customers with special sales, promotional discounts and coupons. If you have the REDcard credit card, you’ll reap even more benefits, including a healthy discount on all purchases, free shipping, an extended return policy, a card anniversary gift and no annual fee. If you’re a Target shopper, your experience and savings will be elevated by having this card.
What You Get
- A Discount on Every Purchase: You’ll receive an immediate 5% discount on your purchases from Target stores and on Target.com.
- Free Shipping: Cardholders receive free shipping when shopping on Target.com.
- Extended Return Policy: The period for returning merchandise is extended an additional 30 days for cardholders.
- Stackable Discounts: You can use coupons, promotional codes and other discounts towards your Target purchase, and you’ll still receive the 5% discount when using your REDcard credit card.
- Advance Access to Special Sales: You’ll be alerted to special sales, such as Black Friday deals and other promotions, before they are announced to the public.
- Anniversary Gift: You’ll receive a special discount coupon on your card anniversary.
- No Annual Fee: Keep the card for as long as you desire as you’ll never be charged an annual fee.
The Target REDcard’s 5 percent discount is automatically applied after any coupons or promotional discounts when you use your card to pay for your purchase. There is no limit on the amount of discount you can receive.
Cardholders do not receive any special financing arrangements, installment plans or introductory APRs.
REDcard cardholders can enjoy shopping from the comfort of their home and receive free shipping from Target.com.
Download the Target app and shop with Cartwheel to save 5 to 50 percent on select in-store products. While all Target shoppers can utilize the in-store Cartwheel shopping app, only cardholders receive 5 percent off their purchase in addition to Cartwheel discounts.
Cardholders are also rewarded with early access to special sales, promotions and discount coupons. Savings escalate even more as promotional offers can be combined with the automatic 5 percent discount that comes with the Target credit card. Another benefit is the extended period, up to 30 extra days, for cardholders to return merchandise.
How Much Will You Earn with Target RED Credit Card?
The Target REDcard credit card has a simplified rewards system. You receive a 5 percent discount on your purchases at Target stores or at Target.com. If you spend $1,200 a year at Target, your total discount will be $60. You cannot use your Target REDcard credit card anywhere but Target stores, online at Target.com and at in-store Starbucks locations.
There are no special bonus categories to keep track of as all of your purchases receive a 5 percent discount. You can, however, benefit from additional discounts because promotional offers, coupons, and other discounts, such as those on the Cartwheel app, can be combined with your 5 percent off for even greater savings.
Should You Get Target Credit Card?
If you shop at Target, the simple answer is yes, you should get the card. You can’t go wrong with a 5 percent discount on everything you buy at Target. That’s a respectable discount to get from a credit card. Most cashback cards don’t offer a 5 percent return, and if they do, the spending category is narrowly defined and the timeframe is limited.
With your Target Credit Card, you’ll get a 5 percent discount each and every time you shop. If you spend $3,000 a year, this translates to a $150 discount. You won’t have to wait to accumulate a stash of rewards points or cash back before receiving a discount or redeeming points. You’re also going to receive the benefits of free shipping when shopping on Target.com and an extended period of time to return merchandise.
The downside of the Target credit card is that you can only use it to shop at Target. While the store does offer just about anything you might need, the card is not going to allow you to earn rewards on other purchases. Obviously if you’re not a Target shopper, you shouldn’t consider the card. But if you frequent the store or shop online at Target, you might want to get the Target card and then supplement it with a good no annual fee cashback card.
Many cashback cards come with a sign-up bonus. Both the Chase Freedom Unlimited and the Capital One Quicksilver offer a $150 bonus after spending $500 on the card. You’d have to spend $3,000 at Target to receive this level of value with the Target card 5 percent discount.
In regards to ongoing spending, you’ll earn 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase with the Freedom Unlimited or the Quicksilver card. So let’s assume you spend $500 at Target and charge it on your Target card. You would receive a discount of $25. Spend that same $500 at Target and charge it with the Freedom Unlimited or Quicksilver credit card and you would earn the $150 sign-up bonus and another $7.50 in cash back.
You could then continue to use the cashback card for non-Target purchases and still receive 1.5 percent cash back. And of course you could now use your Target credit card for subsequent Target purchases to receive the 5 percent discount.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- You will receive a 5 percent discount on any purchase from Target stores and at Target.com when you pay with your Target REDcard credit card. The 5 percent is deducted from your total at checkout. If you use more than one credit card for your transaction, only the portion paid for with your Target REDcard credit card will receive the 5 percent discount. If you use any coupons or receive any other discounts towards your purchase, the 5 percent discount will be applied to your net purchase.The 5 percent discount does not apply to prescriptions or clinic services, eye exams, gift cards, certain restaurants located in Target, shipping and handling charges, wireless service carrier deposits and protection programs. This is really not a long exclusion list for a store that carries such a wide variety of goods and services. Your 5 percent discount even applies to purchases at in-store Starbucks.
- There are several possible fees you could encounter while holding the Target REDcard credit card. Before you apply for the Target REDcard, you’ll want to review the full terms and conditions which contain a list of these fees.If your scheduled minimum payment is late and not paid by the due date, for instance, you will be assessed a $27 late fee the first time it happens. Subsequent late payments are assessed at $38 per incident. Once you have made six consecutive on time payments after the late payment, however, the fee drops back to $27.If a check you submit as payment is returned, or if an electronic payment is not honored by your financial institution, you will be assessed a $27 fee. If your card is lost or stolen, a replacement card will be sent free of charge. If you want the card expedited to you, a fee of $25 is charged. The last fee you may encounter is a $2 document fee if you want a duplicate copy of any account documents sent to you.
- Your Target REDcard credit card contains the latest chip and pin technology to keep your information safer and make it harder for someone to use your card if it is lost or stolen. When you receive your card, you’ll set up your own personal pin. When making a purchase you’ll insert your card into the reader then use this pin to authorize transactions at Target stores instead of swiping your card and signing.You’ll also notice that your card does not have a magnetic strip or even a signature space as is common with older, less secure cards. You can reset your pin at anytime online or by calling the number on the back of your card.
- Target issues two types of REDcards, the debit card and the credit card. Both offer a 5 percent discount on purchases at Target stores and on Target.com. Each card also includes free shipping on Target.com and 30 extra days to return purchased items. Both cards are embedded with chip and pin technology.The Target REDcard debit card links to your existing checking account, which is debited whenever you make a purchase with the card. Cash withdrawls are allowed at checkout for up to $40. You can also load cash to the card for the purpose of budget management and convenience.The credit card is quite different. You charge items and receive a monthly statement of your purchases.Both cards offer discounts, special offers, 5 percent off in-store Starbucks purchases, online account management and access to Cartwheel, Target’s app that gives additional discounts on select items throughout the store. You can apply for either card online.
- Target bestows new shopping benefits to its cardholders on a regular basis. For instance, cardholders now receive early access to Black Friday shopping specials, invitations to special events and an exclusive 10 percent discount coupon on their card anniversary.While everyone has access to the Cartwheel app which adds a 5 to 50 percent discount on items throughout the store as you shop, cardholders can stack these discounts with the 5 percent they receive with the Target credit card. The app is available on Google Play and the Apple Store for download to your smart phone.Target also offers a subscription service for thousands of everyday items, such as cleaning products, pet care, health and beauty, and other household items. There are even book and art project subscriptions. The subscription service offers free shipping and a 5 percent discount. Cardholders receive an additional 5 percent discount. If you sign up to receive Target emails, you’ll receive discount coupons and offers.
- The Target REDcard credit card is a store-branded card issued by TD Bank. It can only be used at Target stores and on Target.com. You can also use your card at Starbucks located within a Target store.Target has locations worldwide, so if you’re traveling to Canada or Mexico, for instance, you can use your Target REDcard. Since the card does not charge a foreign transaction fee, you’ll incur no additional cost when shopping at Target stores outside of the U.S. You’ll also have the peace of mind that your transaction is secure with chip and pin technology.
Most store-branded credit cards have no annual fee, and the cards below are no different. Also, store-branded credit cards, like those we’re comparing, usually don’t allow you to use the card anywhere but at the affiliated store. The trade off of this brand loyalty limitation is that you’ll be well rewarded with discounts, special offers and shopping incentives. These store cards tend to have exorbitant APRs and late fees, so cardholders will need to pay off balances on a monthly basis to realize any value from the cards.
Compare Similar Store Cards
|Sign-up bonus||$25||0 cashback||0 points|
|APR On Purchases||17.90% to 23.90% Variable±||23.90% Variable±||26.24% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$240||$0||$1,200|
When we compare welcome offers, the Kohl’s charge card comes out ahead with 25 percent off your first purchase after your card is approved, and 15 percent off your next purchases after your card arrives.
While the Walmart Credit Card offers up to a 47 percent discount on your first purchase, the maximum purchase is $75, so you’ll get no more than $35 off. If you’re doing some Christmas or back-to-school shopping at Kohl’s, that 25 percent discount could equate to a $150 off of a $500 purchase. Not bad for a card with no annual fee.
Comparing rewards rates on these cards, the Kohl’s card may appear to finish last with only one point per dollar compared to the 5 percent discount on every purchase with the Target card and 3 percent cash back on the Walmart card. However, you’ll receive a $5 shopping certificate for the 100 points you’ll earn at Kohl’s. That’s the equivalent of a respectable 5 percent return.
The Target credit card does not offer a sign-up bonus, but it delivers consistent value with its 5 percent discount. Free shipping on Target.com and an extended period to return items add to the value of the card.
Obviously you’re going to select a store-branded credit card for the department store you shop at most frequently. Keep in mind that you will not be able to use any of these cards for other purchases, so you may want to supplement the store credit card with a no annual fee cashback card for the purpose of earning rewards on all of your expenditures.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
IssuerTD Bank, N.A.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Target REDcard credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 23.90% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Return Policy:
- Cardholders receive an extra 30 days to return merchandise.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Cash Advance Fee:
- See Terms and Conditions
Security and Protections
Store-branded credit cards that are not MasterCard or Visa generally offer few security features. The Target REDcard credit card issued by TD Bank does have online account access, chip and pin technology and no liability for fraudulent charges.
- Online Account Access:
- You can manage your Target REDcard account online. Set up and change your pin, make a payment and review your balances and transaction history.
- Chip Technology:
- The Target REDcard credit card contains EMV chip and pin technology for increased acceptance and an extra layer of security.
- Fraud Protection:
- You are not responsible for unauthorized charges.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Target REDcard credit card is issued by TD Bank and does not offer any additional cardholder benefits, such as those that are commonly found on MasterCard or Visa credit cards.