- for Sun Country users70
- for Frequent Flyers66
- for Everyday Use56
Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Credit Card
Sun Country Airlines is based in Minneapolis, so Midwesterners and travelers geographically situated to use the airline’s limited network may benefit from having the Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature card. With current Visa Signature travel benefits, a generous 30,000 points sign-up bonus and the ability to pool points with other members, the card may warrant a place in the wallet of the avid Sun Country traveler.
For everyone else, the limited awards redemption options and mediocre earning potential on everyday purchases may deter you from becoming a cardholder, especially when there are travel cards that offer greater earning and more flexibility. Still, for the Sun Country customer, trying the card out will make it a compelling option, and it might even result in notable savings and a couple of free award tickets.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card offers and the value of the First National Bank points you earn.
Sign up for the Sun Country Airlines Sun Country Rewards program and jumpstart your earnings with 30,000 points after spending $1,500 on your Sun Country Visa. Spend $10,000 or more in the first 12 billing cycles and you’ll get an additional 10,000 bonus points. You’ll also earn two points per dollar spent on Sun Country Airline purchases and one point per dollar for all other purchases.
What You Get
- Earn 30,000 Points when you spend $1,500 within the first three billing cycles.
- Earn 10,000 bonus points when you spend $10,000 on your card during each 12 billing cycle period.
- 3 points for each $1 spent on Sun Country Airlines® purchases.
- 2 points per $1 spent on Gas and Grocery Purchases purchases.
- 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else.
Sun Country Rewards points do not expire as long as there is activity in the program every three years. Activity is defined as earning points, redeeming points or making a donation of points to Make-A-Wish Minnesota.
What is the value of the Sun Country Rewards Points?
The value you receive for Sun Country Rewards points can vary. If you need to book a ticket at the last minute during a peak travel period, you’ll receive the least value for your points. This is because a point surcharge is added for tickets purchased less than six months in advance, and a premium is added to the number of points needed in peak periods.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket (minus taxes and fees charged for an award ticket) by the number of miles the award flight costs. This is a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the flight in both cash and miles fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPM:
The Best Ways to Redeem Sun Country Rewards Points
You’ll get the best value for your Sun Country Rewards points when you redeem greater than six months in advance. Tickets purchased closer than six months from departure are charged an additional 5,000 points.
Off-peak award tickets also result in better value because the number of points needed is determined by multiplying the price of the ticket by 110 versus 130 during peak periods. For example, a $300 ticket off-peak costs 33,000 points, while purchasing it during peak times costs 39,000 points.
Points are also redeemable for vacation packages, upgrades, bag fees and preferred seat selection.
Other ways you can redeem points
Sun Country points cannot be redeemed for hotel stays, however Sun Country points can be used to purchase Sun Country vacation packages which include both accommodation and flights on Sun Country Airlines.
Car Rental2 partners2 part.
While Sun Country rewards points cannot be redeemed for rental cars, you can earn Sun Country points with select car rental partners.
Everyday Earnings with Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card
The Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature card earns one point for each dollar spent on everyday purchases. Since there are travel credit cards that offer higher earnings for these expenditures, the better use of your card is for purchases made directly with Sun Country, which earn three points per dollar.
Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card Rewards
- Car Rental
- Sun Country purchases
- All Other Purchases
Free Checked Bag
Visa Concierge Service
Get assistance with restaurant reservations, tour recommendations and traveling planning.
Receive invitations to exclusive events and enjoy perks at Luxury Hotel Collections properties.
Foreign Transaction Fees
Beware that purchases made abroad will incur a 3% foreign transaction fee.
Fees: the cost of Having Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card
The card’s annual fee is $69, which is waived for the first year. If you earn just one point per dollar, you’ll need to spend at least $7,590 a year, or $633 a month, to cover the cost. That’s because we value Sun Country Rewards points at .9 cents each.
The 30,000 points sign-up bonus is worth about $300 in Sun Country travel, so that can cover your annual fees for about four years.
- Annual Fee
$0 first year, then $69
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
Get anniversary bonus: 10,000 points
You will receive 10,000 bonus points each anniversary year – enough to cover more than a half of the annual fee.
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $2,300 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature card. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card
Earn a free flight faster with a generous 30,000 point sign-up bonus and the ability to pool points with other members.
- Generous Sign-Up Bonus: The 30,000 points sign-up bonus is enough for a free ticket. Earn 10,000 bonus points when you spend $10,000 on your card during each 12 billing cycle period.
- Great Earning Potential: 3 points for each $1 spent on Sun Country Airlines purchases.
- Rewards: You’ll get 2 points per $1 spent on Gas and Grocery Purchases purchases and 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else.
- $100 Vacation Voucher: Each vacation package booked with Sun Country earns a $100 certificate good for future travel. There is no limit on how many you can earn.
- Earn Free Flights Faster: Points can be pooled with family, friends and other members to make earning a free trip easier and faster.
Should You Get the Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card?
If you’re an avid Sun Country Airlines flyer and spend a lot with the airline, you’re going to fare well with the Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature Card. Since you receive 30,000 Sun Country points as a sign-up bonus, you might come out ahead and have enough points to redeem for a free ticket.
If you spend $10,000 a year on the card, whether with Sun Country at two points per dollar or for everyday purchases at one point per dollar, you’ll earn at least another 20,000 points for use towards Sun Country travel. Add a $100 voucher for each international Sun Country vacation package you purchase and you’ve gained even more value from the card.
But if you don’t fly Sun Country Airlines, and you won’t benefit from the airline’s redemption options, this obviously isn’t a card you should consider.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- If you purchase a qualifying international vacation package with Sun Country Airlines and pay for at least half of the package with your Sun Country Visa card, you will receive a $100 travel voucher. A qualifying vacation package is one that includes both a Sun Country flight and hotel accommodations.The travel certificate will be sent to you via email and it will be redeemable for future travel on Sun Country Airlines. You should receive the certificate from 4 to 6 weeks after your vacation package is paid for. There is no limit on how many $100 travel certificates you can earn, but cardholders can only earn one per booking.
- As soon as the points you have earned from spending on your Sun Country Airlines Visa card have been deposited into your Sun Country Rewards account, they are available for you to redeem. Points may be redeemed for Sun Country Airlines flights and for flight/hotel packages. You can also use your points to pay for seat and bag fees.Redemptions must be made in advance as points cannot be redeemed at the airport or onboard the aircraft. Points can be redeemed for upgrades on U.S. flights only within 24 hours of departure. Points can be used to purchase an award ticket for another person and points can be pooled with other friends and family who are Sun Country Rewards members for faster redemptions.
- While the Sun Country Visa does offer a generous 30,000 points sign-up bonus after spending $1,500 within the first three billing cycles, there are additional ways to earn points. First, you’ll be earning two points per dollar on Sun Country Airlines purchases and one point per dollar for all other purchases. Plus, if you spend a total of $10,000 on the Sun Country Airlines Visa card in a year, you’ll receive an additional 10,000 points at your card anniversary.As a Sun Country Airlines Sun Country Rewards program member, you’ll earn additional miles when you fly on tickets you’ve purchased. You’ll receive 10 points per dollar spent on Sun Country flights, Sun Country vacation packages, first class upgrades, premium seat assignments, travel protection, checked baggage fees, Apple Vacations and Funjet Vacations. You can also earn points on rental cars through Alamo and National.
Each of the co-branded airline credit cards in this collection caters to a niche traveler who frequents a particular airline and spends accordingly. You can earn points quickly on any of these cards as spending on the respective airline earns two points or miles for each dollar spent.
Other Airline cards
|Spirit Airlines™ World Mastercard®||Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®||Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard®|
|Sign-up bonus||15,000 miles||30,000 points||40,000 miles||35,000 miles|
$0 first year, then $59
$0 first year, then $69
|APR On Purchases||14.49% to 24.49% Variable±||17.24% to 25.24% Variable±||17.49% to 26.49% Variable±||17.49% to 26.49% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$726||$340||$362||$461|
The Hawaiian Airlines, Frontier Airlines and Sun Countrycards charge annual fees the first year and thereafter. However, you receive a bigger sign-up bonus with these cards. With Hawaiian Airlines specifically, you receive additional valuable discounts on companion tickets that help offset the fee.
Spirit waive that annual fee the first year and offer decent sign-up bonuses. Not having to pay a fee up front allows you to try out a card before investing any money. Spirit also grants the sign-up bonus after your first purchase, making it the easiest sign-up bonus to obtain among these cards. However, you’ll find that the $100 voucher you receive on every international Sun Country vacation package more than offsets the $69 annual fee for the Sun Country Visa.
When it comes to earning potential, all of these cards earn two points per dollar on their respective airline, but the Spirit MasterCard earns a total of two points per dollar on every purchase. The other cards earn only one point on other purchases.
If you’re looking for a card with a balance transfer option, both the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard and the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard offer a 15-month 0% APR for balance transfers.
When it comes time to redeem your points, you’ll have to select from the limited offerings of your particular card’s airline. While Hawaiian Airlines has the advantage here with six additional airline redemption partners, avid Spirit travelers can turn their 15,000 points sign-up bonus into as many as three off-peak round-trip tickets.
The bottom line for co-branded airline credit cards is to select a one that works with your travel patterns and airline of choice. In absence of those loyalties, select other travel cards offering better earning potential and more flexible redemption options.
Compare the Sun Country Visa to Other Cards
All of the cards below have simple redemption options that do not involve transferring or redeeming miles or points with other travel partners. Only Sun Country Visa charges an annual fee the first year. There are, however, many features, benefits and limitations that differentiate the cards.
- Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
20,000 miles offerRead Review
- Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card
20,000 miles offerRead Review
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®
70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 daysRead Review
With the highest sign-up bonus, the Barclaycard Arrival Plus stands out as a card that offers great value. Earning potential continues with two miles earned per dollar for all purchases. With a one cent per point value when redeeming for travel and 5 percent back on those redemptions, you can get a lot out of this card quickly.
The VentureOne Rewards card offers a 20,000 miles sign-up bonus worth $250 toward travel. Both Capital One credit cards have no annual fee and offer the same sign-up bonus. But instead of earning 1.5 miles per dollar spent, the VentureOne card earns only 1.25 miles.
While the Sun Country Airlines Visa is the only card above that requires redemptions through a specific airline, those who spend and fly on Sun Country can find value in having the card. The 30,000 points sign-up bonus, 10,000 points bonus for spending $10,000 in a year, the $100 travel vouchers and two points per dollar with Sun Country still deliver plenty of free travel to the cardholder. If you’re not a frequent Sun Country flyer, though, any one of the other cards is a better choice.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Sun Country Airlines Visa Signature card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa Signature card.
- Intro APR:
- 0.00% introductory APR for the first 6 billing cycles
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- Ongoing APR:
- 17.24% to 25.24% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 21 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- For eligible warranties that are less than 3 years in length, an extra year of coverage is provided.
- Purchase Protection:
- Your eligible purchases are covered for theft, fire and vandalism for 90 days and up to $500 per item.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 27.49% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
With access to your account anytime and anywhere, you can keep track of your spending and even pay your bill. You’ll have peace of mind knowing your account is being monitored for suspicious transactions and the confidence that your card will be accepted anywhere chip technology terminals are used.
- Fraud Notification:
- Receive automatic fraud alerts when there is suspicious activity on your account.
- Mobile App Convenience:
- Access your account, track your spending and pay balances from your mobile device.
- Chip Technology:
- Chip card technology ensures security and acceptance at chip card terminals throughout the U.S. and abroad.
- Free FICO Scores:
- Cardholders receive free access to monthly FICO scores and educational credit-management tools.
You can monitor and manage your account conveniently and securely from anywhere and at anytime with the Sun Country Airlines Visa Mobile app. Check transactions, set alerts and make payments.
- Digital Payments:
- The Sun Country Airlines Visa can conveniently be used with Apple Pay.
- First Bankcard Mobile App:
- Download the IOS or Android app to your smart phone and access your account while you’re on the go.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Sun Country credit card offers premium Visa Signature cardholder benefits, including rental car coverage, roadside assistance referral services and emergency travel services.
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Decline the rental company’s insurance and receive theft and collision coverage for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance in the U.S.
- Lost Luggage Replacement:
- When traveling on a common carrier, checked or carry-on baggage is covered against loss or theft.
- Roadside Assistance:
- Referral services that can help you obtain lockout service, towing, jumpstart and gas delivery help. Service fees apply.
- Travel and Emergency Services:
- Assistance and referrals for arranging emergency transport, sending messages and replacing tickets.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
UGC Disclosure: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.