- for Frequent Flyers97
- for Everyday use98
Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
The Spark Miles Select business card isn’t one of the most talked about travel rewards credit cards, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pay attention to it. The card comes with a decent 20,000 -point sign-up bonus and earns 1 miles on all purchases. Additionally, employee cards are free, there’s no annual fee and you’ll get 0% APR on purchases for the first nine months. That’s a great perk if you have a big business purchase coming up!
While it’s not the most rewarding card out there, it does offer one amazing thing: simplicity. You don’t have to keep track of bonus-earning categories for spending and your miles are always worth 1 cent each toward travel purchases. There’s nothing you need to do to maximize your rewards. If you don’t mind spending the extra time and effort researching redemptions and earning schemes to squeeze the maximum value out of your points, the Spark Miles card might not be the best option for you.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business offers and the value of the Capital One Venture® Rewards miles you earn.
The Spark Miles card earns a sign-up bonus of 20,000 miles after spending 3,000 within the first three months of being a card member. This sign-up bonus is worth $200 when it is redeemed for travel purchases. Additionally, all Spark Miles card holders get free employee cards, which is an easy way to keep track of your business spending and earn additional rewards at the same time.
What You Get
- Earn 1.5 miles per $1 on every purchase
- Plus, a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account, and there are no categories to limit where or what you buy
- Save on interest with 0% intro APR on purchases for 9 months; 15.24%-23.24% variable APR after that
- Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Get online Quarterly and Year-End Summaries
- There's no limit to the amount of miles you can earn
- Fly on any airline, anytime, with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
With the Capital One, you don’t have to worry about your miles expiring as long as your account is open and in good standing. Since the Spark Miles Business card doesn’t have an annual fee, there’s no reason to close your account even if you decide you’re not going to use the card anymore. If you do want to simplify your expenses and feel the need to close your Spark Miles account, you should first redeem your rewards. If you don’t, they will be lost.
What is the value of the Venture® Rewards Miles?
Spark miles are always worth one cent each when you redeem them toward travel. This means that since you earn 1 miles per dollar spent on all of your purchases, you are effectively earning 1.5% cash back to use toward travel purchases. It doesn’t matter if you are flying economy, business, domestic or international, your Spark Miles will always be worth the same one cent per point. Redemptions are made through Capital One’s travel portal, which is run by Orbitz.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles or points. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile or point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket by the number of miles or points the award flight costs. That amount is multiplied by the number of miles or points earned per dollar spent on everyday purchases to account for cards that earn more than one mile per dollar spent.
How we calculate CPM:
The Best Ways to Redeem Capital One Miles
The best way to redeem your Spark miles is through Capital One’s travel portal or by using the Purchase Eraser. If you haven’t yet booked your travel, you can book directly through Capital One’s travel portal and achieve a value of one cent per mile toward your booking. There’s no minimum to the number of points you need to redeem in this way. If you have already booked and you used your Spark card, you can apply your points to the purchase and get a statement credit, which gets you the same value of 1 cent per point. The minimum redemption for the Purchase Eraser is 2,500 miles.
New York–PhiladelphiaEconomy classMiles price84,300miles+$0 feeDollars price$843
Seattle–Los AngelesEconomy classMiles price60,500miles+$0 feeDollars price$605
San Francisco–WashingtonEconomy classMiles price64,000miles+$0 feeDollars price$640
New York–PeruEconomy classMiles price68,390miles+$0 feeDollars price$683
Los Angeles–CairoEconomy classMiles price153,768miles+$0 feeDollars price$1,537
San Francisco–SeoulEconomy classMiles price141,322miles+$0 feeDollars price$1,413
Miami–AtlantaBusiness classMiles price48,400miles+$0 feeDollars price$484
Orlando–Las VegasBusiness classMiles price145,440miles+$0 feeDollars price$1,454
Denver–HoustonBusiness classMiles price239,400miles+$0 feeDollars price$2,394
Dallas–Hong KongBusiness classMiles price407,548miles+$0 feeDollars price$4,075
Chicago–MontrealBusiness classMiles price55,670miles+$71.7 feeDollars price$557
Honolulu–San JoseBusiness classMiles price155,059miles+$0 feeDollars price$1,551
Other ways you can redeem miles
Capital One doesn’t have direct hotel partners, but you can redeem your points toward hotel stays at any hotel booked through Capital One’s travel portal, or receive statement credits to cover the cost if the stay codes as a travel purchase.
Capital One doesn’t have direct car rental partners, but you can redeem your points toward car rentals either through Capital One’s travel portal or in the form of a statement credit.
You can redeem miles for different gift cards, but the rates are not constant and are subject to change at any time. In general, you’ll get better value if you redeem for travel.
You can’t directly redeem your Spark miles for cash back, but if you’ve made a travel purchase, you can get a statement credit up to the amount of that purchase in exchange for the appropriate number of miles.
Everyday Earnings with Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
One of the things that is great about the Spark Miles for Business card is that the everyday earning is very simple. You don’t need to pay attention to bonus categories or categories that rotate every quarter. Every purchase will earn 1 miles per dollar spent, and there are no caps on the number of rewards you can earn in a year. The downside to this simplicity is that there is no way to increase the number of points you earn for purchases.
Spark Miles Select business Rewards
- On every purchase, every day
No Foreign Transaction Fee
You’ll never have to pay a fee to use the Spark Miles card while traveling abroad.
Earn Elite Status Fast
The Capital One Spark Miles card doesn’t offer the opportunity to earn elite status with any airline or hotel program.
Fees: the cost of Having Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
- Annual Fee
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $39
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
Spark Miles Select is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Spark Miles Select From Spark Business
There’s a lot to love about the Spark Miles Select Business credit card. The best benefit is that there are no hassles with this card—you always earn the same amount miles and they have a fixed value.
- No Hassle: Whatever you buy, you’re going to earn bonus miles because every dollar spent is worth 1 miles. And every time you redeem a mile for travel, you’re going to get a cent each. That means you’ll have more time to focus on your business instead of thinking about your credit card rewards.
- No Minimum Redemption: As long as you use Capital One’s travel portal, there is no minimum redemption to use your miles. If you have 10 miles you can use them!
- Flexible Travel Definition for Redemptions: You might have to call to get Capital One to redeem your miles for some travel purchases, but they are generous when they consider what counts as travel.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Don’t worry about paying extra when you travel. The Spark Miles Select card doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees.
- No Annual Fee: Spark Miles for Business gives you all of these great benefits without an annual fee!
Should You Get the Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business Card?
The Spark Miles Select Business credit card is a great option for the business owner who doesn’t want to spend a bunch of time thinking about credit card rewards, but still wants to earn valuable miles that can be used for travel. The Spark Miles card earns 1 miles for every dollar spent with no caps, and those miles can always be redeemed for one cent each either through Capital One’s travel portal or to erase a travel purchase as a statement credit.
When you decide to redeem your miles for a trip, take your Spark Miles card along with you because you won’t be charged foreign transaction fees on purchases made abroad. As an added bonus, the Spark Miles Select card doesn’t have an annual fee and additional employee cards are free.
Even if you don’t mind having a bunch of credit cards and scheming to get the best rewards, the Spark Select might still work for you. It isn’t the most rewarding card for some purchases, like groceries and restaurants, but it can still be a good card to have in your wallet for categories that otherwise wouldn’t earn a bonus on another credit card.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
Most applicants who report being approved for the Capital One Spark Miles card have a credit score of at least 690.
- You do need to have a business, but it doesn’t need to be a big operation! If you sell crafts on Etsy or electronics on eBay, you might be surprised to know that you have a business. When you apply for a business credit card, you can apply as a sole proprietor with just your Social Security number.
- You can’t transfer the miles you earn with your Capital One Spark card to an airline or hotel program, but you can redeem your miles for flights or hotels through Capital One’s travel portal. Additionally, you can purchase your flight or hotel stay directly through the airline or hotel and use Capital One’s Purchase Eraser to have a statement credit applied to your account.
The Spark Business card doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. This could mean a savings of 1 to 3 percent when you’re traveling abroad.
If you already have the card, you can call the number that is located on the back. If you don’t yet have the card, call 1-844- 88-SPARK.
Compare the Spark Miles Select Card to Other Cards
Capital One offers a couple of other cards that are part of the same rewards program, including Capital One Venture Rewards, the standard Spark Miles Business card and VentureOne Rewards.
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business||Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card||Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Sign-up bonus||50,000 miles||20,000 miles||20,000 miles||50,000 miles|
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
|APR On Purchases||19.24% (Variable)||15.24%-23.24% (Variable)||14.24% - 24.24% (Variable)||17.99% - 25.24% (Variable)|
|Second Year Value||$480||$360||$300||$480|
The main differences between these cards are the annual fees, sign-up bonuses and points earned for spending. Like the Spark Miles Select card, the Capital One VentureOne credit card has no annual fee and offers the same sign-up bonus of 20,000 miles. But instead of earning 1.5 miles per dollar spent, the VentureOne card earns only 1.25 miles.
Both the Venture and standard Spark Miles cards have a $95 annual fee that is waived the first year. The Capital One Venture offers a 50,000 miles sign-up bonus, and the Spark Miles offers 50,000 miles. The Venture and Spark both earn 1 miles per dollar spent on all purchases. If you are a big spender, it would be very easy to recoup the annual fee considering the higher earning potential offered by these cards.
Compare Venture® Rewards Credit Card to Other Cards
Even if you’re pretty sure that the Spark Select is a good choice for you, you should take a quick look at these other business credit cards and consider whether they might be a better choice.
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®
70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 daysRead Review
- Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
50,000 Miles once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account openingRead Review
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
75,000 bonus points offerRead Review
The standard Spark Miles Business card is the premium version of the Spark Miles Select card, offering a higher sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles and earning 2 miles per dollar spent on all purchases. It does, however, have an annual fee of 95 that is waived the first year.
Two other credit cards worth taking a look at are the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard and the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex card. The Barclaycard Arrival is another card that earns 2 miles for all purchases. Like Venture Rewards miles, they are also worth 1 cent each toward travel purchases. It comes with an $89 annual fee.
The SPG Amex is a great option if you are looking for something that’s more rewarding, even if it’s a little more complicated to use. The points you earn with the SPG card can be transferred directly to a huge number of airline and hotel partners, as well as being redeemable for stays at Starwood properties. It has a $95 annual fee
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Capital One VentureOne card, it's worth taking a closer look at the card's terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with the Capital One card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% on purchases for 9 months
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- Ongoing APR:
- 15.24%-23.24% (Variable)
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- You'll get additional warranty protection at no charge on eligible items that are purchased with your business card, up to one year past the manufacturer's warranty.
- Purchase Protection:
- Enjoy coverage for eligible items you buy with your Spark Business card if they are lost or stolen within 90 days of your purchase.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 25.24% (Variable)
- Cash Advance Fee:
- 3% of the amount of the cash advance, but not less than $10
Security and Protections
With the Capital One Spark Select card, you don’t have to worry about unauthorized purchases because you’ll always be covered. Additionally, Spark offers account alerts, banking on the go through the Capital One Mobile App and EMV Chip + Signature technology.
- Account alerts:
- Get personalized emails and text messages about your account and recent activity.
- Banking on the Go:
- Track your account with the Capital One Mobile App.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced Chip + Signature security at merchants that use chip enabled terminals.
- 24/7 Account Monitoring:
- Capital One will keep a constant eye on your account and let you know if there’s any unusual activity.
Capital One offers mobile banking through their iOS and Android Apps. You can view your recent activity through the app so you can notice unauthorized purchases right away.
Chase Mobile Banking: Use the Chase Mobile app to pay bills, transfer money, check balances, deposit checks and more. This all-in-one banking app is secure, flexible and user-friendly.
Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay: Available with the Capital One Spark Select.
Capital One Mobile App: Spot unauthorized activity and monitor your spending through Capital One’s Mobile App.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Capital One Spark Business credit card doesn’t offer a ton of issuer benefits, but it does offer an car rental insurance and emergency assistance.
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad, excluding luxury cars. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance, so you will need to make any claims to your own insurance first. The Spark card will cover what is not covered by your own insurance.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Legal, medical and other travel and emergency assistance is available any time of day. Service charges apply.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
UGC Disclosure: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.