Shell Drive for Five® Card
The Shell Drive for Five card offers rewards at Shell-branded gas stations only. By swiping this card at the pump, Shell customers earn 25 cents off every gallon of gas for the first two months after opening an account. After that, the card offers five cents back on every gallon of fuel you purchase every time you fill up your tank.
Because this card targets mostly those who commute to work by car, it might not be the best option for all consumers. And even then, drivers might not find the rewards as generous as they might expect. Let’s take a closer look at the Shell Drive for Five card.
Features and Benefits
New cardholders will get 25 cents off every gallon of gas they purchase at a Shell pump during the first two months of card membership. After that, you’ll get five cents off every gallon, including Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline products. The rewards are not limited or capped in any way. Every time you fill up, the discount applies. For the discount to work, you must either swipe your card or enter your Fuel Rewards ID number at the pump.
The card also gives you an option to keep track of your fuel purchases separate from all other purchases. If you drive for work and write off gas an a business expense, the card provides an easy way to access all your gas-related spending.
Using the Shell rewards card is as easy as using any other credit card. There’s no need to go inside. Simply pay at the pump, fill up and save time. There are about 25,000 Shell gas stations in the United States, and the card works at any of those locations.
Another bonus of the Shell gas card is it costs nothing to earn rewards. The more you drive, the more rewards you earn.
What You Get
- Receive 25 cents off every gallon of gas purchased within the first two months
- Get 5 cents off every gallon after that
- No annual fee
The Shell Drive for Five card does not offer any special financing to cardholders. In fact, the Annual Percentage Rate is quite high at 25.99 percent, and there’s no introductory offer. The high APR is a major drawback of this card. I recommend that you pay off your balance every month to avoid paying interest.
The Fuel Rewards program gives members instant Gold Status and rewards for every gas purchase at participating Shell locations. With Gold Status you can swipe your Fuel Rewards card and receive five cents off every gallon every time you fill up your tank. The five-cent discount can be combined with other discounts in your Fuel Rewards account.
How Much Will You Earn?
The Shell Drive for Five card offers new cardholders a nice bonus. For the first two months of being a card member, every time you fill up, you receive a 25-cent discount on every gallon of gas. Although that’s a great reward, the luster diminishes after the introductory offer. The ongoing savings rate becomes five cents off every gallon purchased at Shell gas stations.
This Shell rewards card is strictly a gas card and cannot be used at any other retailers. Compared to bank cashback cards that list gas stations as a bonus category, the Shell card is rather mediocre. It’s possible to earn more cash back that can be applied toward anything, not just fuel, with other no-fee rewards cards.
Should You Get the Shell Drive for Five Card?
The Shell rewards card is nothing to write home about. The rewards are limited because the discount applies to just Shell gas stations, and the card cannot be used elsewhere. There’s no sign-up bonus, and there’s little incentive to keep using the card after the first two months.
The discount on fuel is substantial only for the first two months of card membership when you’ll get 25 cents off per gallon. After that, the five cents back you’ll receive per gallon is rather lackluster. You can save a lot more than that by participating in a grocery store fuel rewards program or by holding a no-fee cashback credit card that allows you to redeem your points toward anything.
For example, as of this writing, the national gas price average is $2.56 per gallon. Let’s say your gas tank can fit at least 15 gallons of fuel. It’ll cost you $38.40 to fill up, and you will save 75 cents with the Shell Drive for Five card’s standard five-cent per gallon discount.
However, using the Bank of America Cash Rewards credit card, which offers 3 percent back on gas purchases, will net you $1.15 back every time you fill up your tank. Using the Chase Freedom card during a quarter in which gas stations are a bonus category will result in $1.92 cash back. As you can see, using the Shell rewards card isn’t the best-case scenario.
However, there is one case in which using the Drive for Five credit card might work out in your favor. If you have a low credit score and cannot qualify for a bank-issued cash rewards card, you may get approved for the Shell card. It’s relatively easy to get, even if your score is in the low 600s. If you are working on improving your credit, it could make sense to apply for this card and start earning rewards, no matter how small they may be. Once you build enough credit history, you can graduate to some of the better cards in terms of the rewards they offer.
Overall, the card is not the best option for most people, especially for those who take public transportation or don’t drive a lot, and the rewards leave a lot to be desired.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Shell customers who would like to apply for this rewards card must have a fair credit score to be approved. If your score is at least 630, you’ve got a good chance. Although approval is not guaranteed, use the score as a guideline.If your credit score is lower, your results will vary. You might still be approved, but I recommend looking for ways to solidify your credit history first. To find out where you stand with the credit bureaus, check with one of the free services, such as Credit Karma or Credit Sesame. It’s always good to know your credit score before applying for an additional credit line.
- The discount, which is five cents per gallon after the first two months, is not visible at the pump. The fuel purchase discount applies automatically in the form of a statement credit. When calculating the credit amount, the number of gallons is multiplied by 0.05 and rounded to the nearest cent.
- The card is not part of either the Visa or MasterCard networks and therefore cannot be used at any other merchants. The Shell Drive for Five card can be swiped at Shell locations only. The card can be used for any purchase at a Shell station, except lottery tickets, but the discount applies to fuel only.Shell also offers another card for consumers, the Shell Platinum Select MasterCard, which can be used at any merchant and also offers rewards based on your monthly spending.
- You can save money at Shell gas stations simply by shopping at your local grocery store. Redeem your points accumulated during a previous calendar month at participating Shell locations. Every $100 you spend at the store turns into a 10-cent savings on fuel. The discount applies at the pump when you enter your member ID number.The following grocery stores participate in the Fuel Rewards program: Dillons, Food for Less, Fred Meyer, Fry’s, Giant, Homeland, HyVee, Jewel-Osco, Jay C, Kroger, King Soopers and City Market, PayLess, QFC, Ralph’s, Stop & Shop and Smith’s.
- Not sure where to go to fill up? The gas station’s website has a map of Shell locations. Simply click on Gas Station Near Me and enter your location.You’ll notice that some states do not have as many Shell gas stations as others, so that’s another factor to consider when applying for the Shell Drive for Five card. If there aren’t many Shell locations in your area, you’ll likely find little use from the Shell credit card.
Shell offers two co-branded credit cards to consumers: the Shell Drive for Five card and the Shell Platinum Select MasterCard. Let’s review the MasterCard’s key points.
Compare Cards in the Same Lineup
|Sign-up bonus||$0||0 cashback|
|APR On Purchases||N/A||25.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$0||$0|
The Shell Saver card is a payment option that is linked directly to your checking account and offers you a savings of two cents off every gallon. Every time you use the Shell Saver card at a pump, the amount is withdrawn directly from your checking account and the discount is applied. The program costs nothing to enroll in and has no annual fees.
Some Alternative Cards for Shell Customers
Although store cards are easier to qualify for in terms of credit history, cashback cards offer a lot more value. The Shell rewards card earns limited rewards that can be redeemed at Shell gas stations only. Let’s take a look at a few cashback cards with flexible rewards.
- Discover it® - Cashback Match™
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash Card
1% cash back on purchases and 1% as you pay for those purchasesRead Review
- Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®
$200 cash rewards offerRead Review
Best Cashback Card
The Citi Double Cash card earns 2.0 points for every dollar spent anywhere. You earn 1 percent back when you make a purchase and then another
Every single purchase earns cash back, without category restrictions. Rewards can be applied toward any statement in any amount. Dining? Groceries? Gas? You got it! When it comes to cashback credit cards, Citi Double Cash is one of the best options on the market at the moment.
Best Card for Gas Purchases
Discover it Chrome offers rather generous rewards. This credit card earns 2 percent back at restaurants and gas stations, and 1 percent back on everything else. Keep in mind that double rewards on fuel and dining are limited to the first $1,000, but if those two are your main spending categories, then you can earn a lot. The card charges no annual fees and doubles all cash back earned at the end of the first membership year.
Best Rotating Category Card
The Discover it card earns 5.0 percent cash back in popular rotating categories, such as grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, gas stations and movie theaters. Although the bonus cash back is capped at $1,500 every quarter, there’s no limit to how much you can earn after the cap is reached.
At the end of the first year, Discover will double all the cash back you’ve earned. All you have to do is sit back, relax and watch your rewards grow. The card doesn’t charge annual fees, and the rewards can be redeemed toward any purchase.
Get the Biggest Bonus
Earn a $200 cash bonus with the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of account approval. The card earns 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase with no limits or spending categories.
Cash rewards do not expire for as long as the account is open, but redemptions have a minimum threshold. Redemptions start at $50 or 5,000 points. You can receive a check, a gift card or a deposit into your bank account. This cashback card charges no fees and offers a nice welcome bonus to first-time cardholders.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Shell Drive for Five card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 25.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 29.99% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
You credit account is secured by Citibank, and the Shell Drive for Five card offers zero liability on unauthorized charges. If you become victim of identity theft, Citi will provide help. There’s also an option to manage your account online and view all charges as they’re made. The card does not come with a chip, only a magnetic strip.