- for QuikTrip® Customers71
- for Cash Rewards72
- for Everyday use65
QuikTrip® Credit Card
One big drawback to this card is that gas purchases do not earn rewards. You will, however, get a three-cent discount per gallon. Unfortunately, that works out to a low percentage of return, depending on the current price of gas. For example, three cents off a $3 gallon of gas is just 1 percent back; you’ll do slightly better for a $2.50 gallon, earning 1.2 percent back.
You could be getting 2 percent back at gas stations and for other purchases with a variety of other rewards cards. Those cards also offer much more flexible spending and rewards than the QuikTrip credit card. That means that there’s almost no reason to get the QuikTrip card unless you make a lot of non-gas purchases from QT’s convenience stores.
Features and Benefits
The QuikTrip credit card offers a few benefits for QT shoppers. The best benefit is that you’ll receive three cents off every single gallon of gas you purchase from QuikTrip. Additionally, cardholders will receive a 22-cent-per-gallon rebate on the first 200 gallons of gas purchased within the first two months as a card member.
If you max out this introductory bonus, you’ll get $44 back, which is essentially the card’s sign-up bonus, plus the three cents per gallon that you will regularly save. In addition to the 22 cents per gallon bonus, you’ll also receive 100 bonus points on your first billing statement.
When it comes to earning points, you will earn one point per dollar spent on QuikTrip in-store purchases. Note that these purchases exclude fuel, tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets and more. Points are automatically redeemed for a $10 QuikTrip gift card every time you reach 200 points.
When you earn $10 QuickTrip gift cards, they will automatically be sent to the cardholder’s address. This can take 30 to 60 days after the close of the statement that the 200-point threshold has been reached.
This card does not have an annual fee.
What You Get
- 22 -cent discount per gallon on up to 200 gallons of gas purchased within 2 months of account opening
- 100 bonus points on first billing statement
- 3 cents off every gallon of gas
- 5% return in the form of QT gift cards on non-fuel purchases
- No annual fee
The QuikTrip credit card does not offer in-store financing.
The best perk of the QuikTrip credit card is the ability to save three cents per gallon. However, there are other cards that offer more back on gas purchases, so this might not be the best card out there for QuikTrip gas purchases.
What is the Value of QuikTrip Points
When you earn 200 points, they will automatically be converted into a $10 QuikTrip gift card. That’s essentially a 5 percent return on spending at QT convenience stores, or five cents per dollar spent.
When you earn $10 QT gift cards, they will be sent to the same address as the account holder’s statements. This can take 30 to 60 days after the close of the statement where the 200-point threshold was reached. If you earn multiple gift cards on the same statement, $10 gift cards will be mailed to you separately.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
We use the following formula to calculate the CPP:
How Much Will You Earn with QuikTrip® Credit Card?
You will earn one point per dollar spent on select purchases from QuikTrip. Point-earning purchases exclude fuel, tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets, postage stamps, gift cards, phone cards, money orders, event tickets and passes, and rentals. The card can only be used at QuikTrip.
Note that a point is worth more than the standard one cent each. We’ll cover this in the next section.
You will also receive a three cents off every gallon of gas purchased at QuikTrip.
Should You Get the QuikTrip Credit Card?
Overall, the QuikTrip credit card is an okay option if you shop and buy gas at QuikTrip on a regular basis. In fact, 5 percent back at for purchases is pretty good, but that doesn’t apply to fuel. And the three cents you get off per gallon of gas isn’t so great.
If we assume gas costs $3 per gallon, you would only get 1 percent back on your gas purchase. There are many cards that offer higher rewards at gas stations. It could make sense to use the QuikTrip credit card for non-gas purchases only, and then get a different credit card to use at the pump.
If you don’t make in-store purchases at QuikTrip, or only make these purchases rarely, this isn’t the card for you, especially considering that it can’t be used at other stores.
Assuming this isn’t the card for you, there are points cards and cashback cards that don’t have annual fees that are worth looking into. We will compare the QuikTrip credit card to a handful of other cards below.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Yes, QuikTrip offers rewards cards that are separate from the credit card. QuikTrip rewards cards are available at QuikTrip locations.
- For every $2 in qualifying purchases, you’ll earn one rewards point. For every two gallons of qualified fuel purchases, you’ll also earn one rewards point. Each point earned is worth one cent off per gallon.Non-qualifying purchases include alcohol, tobacco, lottery, lotto, postage stamps, gift cards, phone cards, money orders, fuel purchased using rewards points, taxes, event tickets and passes, rentals, other service items and any items prohibited by law.
- Visit any QuikTrip store and follow the directions on the pump. When prompted, insert your QT Rewards card, select Redeem and the dispenser will automatically reduce the price for the selected fuel and redeem the maximum rewards points allowed.
- Points expire one year from the date the rewards points are earned.
- Due to pump limitations, rewards points can only be used up to the price advertised at the pump, minus one cent. Any remaining points will be saved in your account and can be used for future fuel purchases.
- You can purchase up to 20 gallons of fuel with your QT Rewards card.
- All available rewards points will be redeemed in a single transaction, except in the event the available rewards points are greater than the price per gallon at the pump, minus one cent. In this case, the excess rewards point balance will be carried forward and remain in your account for future fuel purchases. Excess points from any one fuel purchase are good for one year from the date they are carried forward.
- QuikTrip does not offer other consumer credit cards, but there are a few different options that you can consider.QuikTrip sells gift cards that can be a good option for gifts or if you want to budget a specific amount for in-store purchases and gas. Gift cards are available in denominations of up to $300 and can be purchased or reloaded in any QuikTrip store or online.QuikTrip also offers Fleetmaster cards that are good for businesses of any size. These cards include fleet management services, such as information-rich reports to monitor individual purchases on each card and customizable limits.The Fleemaster cards comes in three varieties: Fleetmaster, Fleetmaster Express and Fleetmaster Plus. Any Fleetmaster card will help you manage vehicle fueling expenses easily. The standard card saves up to five cents per gallon at every QuikTrip location. The Fleetmaster Express card offers some additional benefits, and the Fleetmaster Express card offers even more.QuikTrip also offers the PumpStart card, which makes it possible to skip prepaying for gasoline. Instead, you can pump your gas first and then go inside to pay.
- As a general rule, store credit cards are a good way to built credit history because they are easier to be approved for. There’s a good chance that you’ll be approved for the QuikTrip card if you have a credit score over 600, but it’s not guaranteed. Likewise, even if you have a lower credit score, you could still be approved. Your credit application will be evaluated in full before a decision is made.
- When you swipe a debit or check card as credit at a gas pump, a message is sent through Visa or MasterCard to your financial institution asking for $1 preauthorization. This is a status check that Visa or MasterCard has approved and guarantees payment to the merchant up to $75. Your financial institution checks the account and sends a message back to the pump with an approval (valid account) or a decline (invalid account). Once preauthorized, you can begin filling your tank.Since banks do not know how much gas you will be pumping, the bank places a limit on the account for the amount they determine to be sufficient to guarantee payment for the gasoline purchase. The merchant settles all transactions once a day with their processor, and the issuing bank receives it within 1 to 2 days. The bank can hold funds against the account until the actual amount is received from the merchant, which can take up to three days.
Many gas stations offer some sort of credit card, so below we will take a look at a few other gas station credit cards and compare them to the QuikTrip card. We will look at Shell, BP and Exxon Mobil credit cards.
Compare Cards in the Same Lineup
|BP® Visa® Credit Card|
|Sign-up bonus||$0||100 points||0 cashback||0 cashback|
|APR On Purchases||28.24% Variable±||26.99% Variable±||26.49% Variable±||25.49% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$12||$1,200||$0||$0|
The Shell credit card is probably the most complex of these options, but it could also get you the most back on gas, depending on how much you use your card. The amount you get back during a billing cycle is based on the amount you spent the previous month.
If you spent between $500 and $999.99, you’ll get 10 cents off per gallon during the next billing cycle; if you spent between $1000 and $2,499.999, you’ll get 15 cents off per gallon during the next billing cycle; if you spend over $2,500, you’ll get 20 cents off per gallon during the next billing cycle. Unfortunately, if you spend less than $500, you will not receive a discount. The credit only applies to the first 100 gallons of Shell fuel purchased within the billing cycle.
The BP Visa credit card offers 25 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend at BP; 15 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend on eligible groceries, dining and travel purchases; and 5 cents off per gallon for every $100 you spend everywhere Visa cards are accepted (excluding non-BP gas stations).
The Exxon Mobil Smart card offers six cents off every gallon of Synergy gas purchased at Exxon and Mobil stations, plus double Plenti points at the pump.
All three of these other gas station credit cards offer more flexible rewards and spending options than the QuikTrip card. None charge annual fees. Of course, a gas card won’t do you any good if you never go to that gas station.
Some Alternative Cards for QuikTrip Shoppers
Before you jump on the QuikTrip credit card bandwagon, there are a handful of other credit cards that you should take a look at. Spoiler alert: there’s a very good chance that one of these cards will better suit your needs than the QuikTrip card. Below we will compare the Discover it – Cashback Match card, Citi Double Cash card and Blue Cash card from American Express to the QuikTrip card to see which one is the best choice.
Best Cashback Card
Of these cards, the best cashback card is Citi Double Cash. This card offers 1 percent back when you make purchases and another 1 percent back when you pay off your balance, for a total of 2.0 percent back on all purchases.
While this isn’t as good as the QuikTrip card for non-fuel purchases, it is much better for purchases at the pump. You’ll also get the 2.0 percent back from the Citi Double Cash even when you get gas somewhere other than QuikTrip.
Overall, the Citi Double Cash card will offer you way more value than the QuikTrip card unless you make A lot of non-gas purchases at QuikTrip. The Citi Double Cash card does not have an annual fee.
Best Rotating Category Card
If you are okay with a little bit more complexity, the Discover it card is a great option. It offers 5.0 percent cashback categories that rotate every quarter, including at least one quarter of gas. The 5.0 percent back is limited to $1,500 in purchases during that quarter, and you can always buy a gas station gift card if you won’t go through that much gas in one quarter if you want to earn even more rewards. Other quarters often include grocery stores, department stores and Amazon, just to name a few.
Better yet, Discover has a special offer going where all cashback earned during the first year will be matched by Discover at the end of the year. This means that for the first year the Discover it card effectively offers 10 percent cash back for its quarterly rotating bonus categories. The Discover it card does not have an annual fee.
Get the Biggest Bonus
The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express offers a pretty nice $150 sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months. This card offers 2 percent back at gas stations and select U.S. department stores, as well as 3 percent back at U.S. supermarkets for up to $6,000 in spending per year. You’ll also get 1 percent back for all other purchases.
Right away, this card beats the QuikTrip card unless you make a lot of non-fuel purchases at QuikTrip. The Blue Cash Everyday card will still offer 2 percent back on those purchases, though. The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express does not have an annual fee.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
IssuerFirst National Bank of Omaha.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the QuikTrip credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this gas card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 21 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Cash Advance Fee:
- See Terms and Conditions
Security and Protections
The QuikTrip credit card offers standard security features including the following:
- Online Banking:
- Check your account information easily with banking available online.
- Zero Fraud Liability:
- You’re never liable for unauthorized purchases made with your QuikTrip card.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The QuikTrip credit card does not offer additional cardholder benefits.