Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards
The Quicksilver credit card from Capital One is a great, no-hassle card that earns cash back on every purchase. If you’re looking for a simple, straightforward credit card with no catches, no hoops and no gimmicks, this is the card for you.
You’ll earn 1.5 percent cash back on every single purchase with no caps. It gets better because there’s no annual fee, so all the rewards you earn are yours. To get you started, Capital One gives you a $150 bonus after you spend $500 on the card within the first 3 months. With these cash rewards, you can redeem them at any time, for any amount, toward whatever you want. It’s totally up to you.
This is not a travel card. While it does offer some great benefits as a World Elite MasterCard, this is not the card for jetsetters, savvy business travelers and those who aspire to fly in first class around the world. Yes, you can use your cashback toward travel if you so choose, but this card does not offer the same travel perks as some of its competitors. If getting cash back is your game, this card is worth a look.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards offers and the value of the Capital One Capital One® Cash Back Rewards cashback you earn.
This cashback rewards card gives new card members $150 of easy money after spending $500 within the first three months. This one-time bonus is not an annual benefit or available if you change products to this card, but it’s a great way to start earning cold hard cash. However, there is no additional anniversary bonus or incentive for adding authorized users. While other cards may offer extra bonuses, the Quicksilver card has the advantage of earning 1.5 percent back on every purchase with no minimums or maximums.
What You Get
- Earn $150 after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Every purchase earns a 1.5% return
All the cashback you earn is yours to keep or redeem as long as your card stays open and active. The cash rewards don’t expire, and you can cash out whenever you like. There are no minimums to wait for and no restrictions. You can choose between either a statement credit or a check in the mail, whatever you prefer. Again, there’s no minimum (or maximum) you need to spend on the card. You’ll earn cash back on every purchase, no matter how big or small, or how many transactions you make each month.
What is the value of the Capital One® Cash Back Rewards Cashback?
Unlike other credit cards, the Capital One Cash Back Rewards program that comes with your Quicksilver card is very straightforward. Whether you redeem for cash to pad your wallet, put it toward a night out on the town, buy a gift card or pay for your dream cruise, these rewards work exactly the same. Since every purchase earns a fixed 1.5 percent cash back, your rewards are worth the same no matter how you redeem them. That’s what makes this program easy to use. For travel, whether you’re sitting in the front or the back of the plane, or going to visit Grandma or a remote village in Africa, your cashback is worth the same amount.
Everyday Earnings with Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards
Unlike other cards, you don’t need to worry about where you can use your Quicksilver credit card to earn the best rate—you’ll get 1.5 percent back on each and every purchase. Whether you’re getting gas, picking up groceries, taking your significant other out for dinner or planning your next big trip, you’ll earn 1.5 percent cash back every time with no lifetime caps. No matter where you use your card, you’ll earn cash back.
- Car Rental
- All Other Purchases
No Foreign Transaction Fee
There are no fees on purchases made outside the United States.
Any time you need anything, call up your Capital One concierge.
Travel Upgrades and Savings
With your access to the Luxury Hotels & Resorts program, you can enjoy complimentary room upgrades, early check in and late checkout, subject to availability.
Get reimbursed up to $1,500 per trip for non-refundable travel costs if your trip is canceled or ends early.
Only A-List Preferred status members get inflight Wi-Fi at no charge.
Add your KTN to your ticket and speed through security.
Earn Elite Status Fast
Even though you earn cash back at the excellent rate of 1.5 percent on every purchase, this card does not grant elite status nor help you earn it. It’s more of a cashback card than travel card, so this is not a benefit.
Fees: the cost of Having Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards
A huge benefit of this card is the lack of an annual fee. It’s not just waived the first year, it’s waived every year throughout the life of the card. No worrying about spending enough to cover the cost as you’ll never pay anything to keep your Quicksilver card. Whether you’re a big spender or put just a few expenses on the card, you’ll get great value from the simple rewards and earning scheme.
Don’t forget, you’ll earn an easy $150 by spending $500 within the first three months of opening your new Quicksilver account. That’s easy cash to use toward whatever you want, but it won’t have to go toward covering an annual fee.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
- 3% of the amount of each transfer that posts to your account within the first 9 months
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- Up to $35
Quicksilver by Capital One is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Quicksilver From Capital One
There are many great benefits of the Quicksilver card, including the easy $0 sign-up bonus and the competitive 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase. Here are the best benefits of this card:
- Great Earning Potential: For every purchase you make you’ll earn 1.5% cash back. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
- Hassle-Free Redemptions: You can redeem your cashback at any time with no minimums! You’ll either get a statement credit or a check in the mail—whatever works for you.
- Great Sign-Up Bonus: This card comes with a sign-up bonus of $150 after spending only $500 within the first 3 months. After a few cell phone payments and trips to the grocery store, you’ll have a cool $150 very quickly!
- No Annual Fee: No matter how you use your card, you won’t pay an annual fee. You don’t have to worry about paying a hefty annual fee and all the rewards are all yours.
- 0% Intro APR: For the first 9 months you have your card, you won’t pay any interest as long as you make your minimum payment on time. If you’re just getting started out using credit cards or need to finance a big purchase, this is an easy way to save on interest.
Should You Get the Quicksilver From Capital One?
Capital One’s Quicksilver card is a great card for earning cash back. If you want to simplify your wallet and you value cash more than miles and points, this is the card for you. Since you can earn 1.5 percent back on every single purchase you make and never pay an annual fee, you can earn some serious cash on everyday purchases, big ticket items, all types of travel or whatever else you choose.
Again, since this card has no annual fee, there’s little downside to the Quicksilver credit card. Yet, it still comes with the elevated MasterCard World Elite protections. As far as travel cards go, this is not a premium card that helps earn status, free checked bags or lounge access, but if you’re an occasional traveler or prefer to fly economy, this card is still a good bet. The cashback you earn can be used toward travel or any other purchase you make. Flexibility makes this a great card.
If you’re just starting to learn about credit cards, this is definitely one to consider. You don’t have an annual fee to worry about and you can take advantage of the cash rewards even if you don’t spend a lot on your card. If juggling lots of cards isn’t your thing, this card is also worth considering because of the competitive cashback you earn every day.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Unfortunately, no. Other card issuers allow you to combine certain types of points, but not with this credit card. If you have multiple Capital One accounts, you can’t combine your rewards into one account or one program. However, since you can cash out some or all of your rewards any time you choose, you could send yourself a check from your Quicksilver card and redeem rewards from your other card simultaneously to use toward your purchase.
- In short, any travel is eligible! Unlike other fixed-rate cards, you can use your cashback rewards toward any type of travel you choose. Flights, hotels, cars and more–they’re all included. And unlike other travel cards that offer miles, you can redeem for cash with your Quicksilver card at any time in any denomination. Just bought a $300 flight? You can redeem $10 of your earned cash rewards if you choose. Or did you decide to finally replace that rusty lawnmower? You can redeem cash for that instead. It’s up to you.
It depends. If you are interested in travel, you need to ask yourself what you’d like to do with any rewards you earn on this or any other card. If free flights are what you seek, this may not be the card for you. Yes, you can save up your cashback rewards and redeem them for travel, but earning miles with your preferred carrier may be a better bet. Moreover, premium cards that come with annual fees often have flexible points that you can use for free flights on a variety of carriers, and most of the time you get more than one cent in value per point.
Further, certain co-branded airline cards come with valuable benefits that are similar to low-level elite status, like priority boarding and free checked bags. If you don’t travel enough with one carrier to earn elite status, these credit cards can be a good substitute. The Quicksilver card offers no such features, so you need to weigh your travel habits against the type of credit card benefits and rewards that matter most to you.
- Nice try! Certain transactions don’t earn rewards on this or any other credit card. They include cash advances, balance transfers or any type of fee incurred. Only net purchases (new purchases minus any returns) earn cash back.
Other Quicksilver cards
Since the Quicksilver card doesn’t earn miles, there aren’t any cards exactly like it in Capital One’s lineup, but there are other cashback cards from Capital One. And like all cashback cards, they operate similarly, earning cash back (as opposed to points and miles) on every purchase. The cards below don’t have annual fees.
|Savor℠Credit Card from Capital One|
|APR On Purchases||15.74% to 24.49% Variable±||14.24% to 24.24% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$240||$360|
The main difference between these cards is how they earn cash back. With the Quicksilver card, you earn a flat 1.5 percent rate of return on every purchase regardless of who the merchant is. With the Savor℠Credit Card, the cashback you earn is tiered based on what type of purchase you’re making. If you go out to eat, you’ll earn 3.0 percent cash back; if you buy groceries, you’ll earn 2.0 percent back. And for everything else, you’ll earn just 1.0 percent.
At first glance, the Savor℠Credit Card may seem like a better deal. Depending on your spending habits, it might be. Obviously, the Quicksilver card earns more cash back on every day, non-bonus purchases. Again, depending on how you spend, this may even out.
Both offer World Elite MasterCard benefits. While the Quicksilver card earns a $150 sign-up bonus, the Savor℠Credit Card gets $150. In a lot of ways, these cards are more similar than different, so it really comes down to you and what you spend money on.
Compare Quicksilver From Capital One to Other Cards
Cashback cards are some of the most popular credit cards around, so the Quicksilver has a lot of competition. The cards below have no annual fee and earn cash back, but in different ways. Let’s see how they stack up.
All these cards are targeting customers with the lure of earning cash back on their purchases. We already know the Quicksilver earns 1.5 percent back on every purchase, so that’s our benchmark. With the Chase Freedom, you earn only one percent back on most purchases. But every quarter, there are rotating bonus categories where you can earn five percent back on up to $1,500.
The Discover it Cashback Match card works exactly the same way, but the advantage here is that Discover matches all the cash you earn in your first full year of card membership (including the five percent categories). That has huge potential.
With the Citi Double Cash card, you earn one percent cash back on every purchase. After you pay your bill, you get another one percent back. The catch here is that you only earn the extra cash on the payments you make. So if you don’t pay your balance in full, you only earn the double cash on what you pay. Then again, if you’re carrying a balance, you’ll pay more interest than you’ll earn in cashback.
Another difference among these cards is that only two of them offer a sign-up bonus: the Quicksilver card and the Chase Freedom. The Citi Double Cash card offers no category or sign-up bonuses. Meanwhile, while the Discover it Cashback Match doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, it does offer the anniversary bonus, essentially doubling all the cashback you earned your first year. However, this is a one-time bonus and doesn’t happen every year.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by Quicksilver from Capital One, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with the MasterCard card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% introductory APR for the first 9 months that your account is open
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first 9 months that your account is open
- Ongoing APR:
- 14.24% to 24.24% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- The Quicksilver card offers peace of mind with an extended warranty on your big-ticket purchases. You’ll get additional warranty protection at no charge on items that are purchased with this credit card.
- Price Protection:
- Capital One offers a great price protection guarantee with this card. Get reimbursed the price difference on eligible items when you find the same item for a lower price within 120 days of purchasing it with your credit card.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 24.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
Capital One offers several great security features that come with your Quicksilver credit card. Security alerts are automatically sent by text, email and voice whenever something doesn’t appear right with your account. You’re also covered by the standard $0 Fraud Liability for any unauthorized transactions.
- Account alerts:
- Set up personalized alerts in addition to the automatic alerts to stay on top of your account.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Use your card with confidence with merchants that accept chip technology.
- CreditWise From Capital One:
- Monitor your credit for free with this unique app from Capital One.
Banking on the go has never been easier thanks to the Capital One mobile app and mobile website. Check your balance, account activity and more whenever you want and wherever you are. You don’t need to be near a computer to stay on top of this card.
- Pay with Your Smartphone:
- This card is compatible with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Bank on Your Mobile Device:
- Get the Capital One app for your Android, iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch.
- Capital One Wallet:
- Free tools to monitor and track all your credit card purchases in one place in real time.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Quicksilver card from Capital One comes with World Elite MasterCard benefits. You may not use these benefits every day, but they’re available when you have the need. You never know when the complimentary concierge service will come in handy with dinner reservations, and travel protection has you covered if you need to cancel your vacation or cut it short.
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Waive the collision damage waiver when renting a car with your card and you’ll be covered against theft or damage due to collision. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- 24-Hour Travel Assistance Services:
- If you lose your card or your wallet is stolen, get an emergency replacement card and access to cash.
- Complimentary Concierge:
- You can get free assistance booking travel, locating hard-to-find items or setting up dinner reservations.
- Identity Theft Resolution Services:
- If you’re ever the victim of identity theft, Capital One is there to help with a number of services.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- When you use your card to purchase your fare, you get automatic insurance for covered losses.