- for Old Navy Customers72
- for Cash Rewards74
- for Everyday use69
Old Navy Visa® Credit Card
You can use the Old Navy card anywhere Visa is accepted, but it offers just 1 percent back for purchases outside of the Old Navy family of stores. It would be better to have another card to use for those purchases.
There are other cards on the market that match that 5 percent return, but the bonus categories for purchases rotate quarterly. They can vary from gas stations to wholesale clubs, and may not ever feature a bonus for Old Navy. That’s why, if you’re a regular Old Navy shopper, it’s probably worth applying for the Old Navy card.
In addition to the points you can earn from purchases made on the Old Navy card, you’ll get a $10 reward when you sign up. You’ll also get NAVYIST elite status if you earn 5,000 points within a calendar year. Status comes with a variety of benefits, including a 20 percent reward bonus each quarter, free shipping for online purchases from Old Navy and its family of stores, and free basic alterations on Banana Republic purchases. Overall, this is a solid card for Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta customers.
Features and Benefits
The Old Navy credit card offers bonus points when you make purchases at any of the brands in their family, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Gap and Athleta. This card doesn’t have an annual fee and is accepted anywhere that Visa is accepted.
Additionally, if you reach NAVYIST status you’ll get a 20 percent reward bonus every quarter, free shipping on online purchases from Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and free basic alterations on Banana Republic purchases. You can also earn a free $10 reward when you sign up, as long as you include your email address and accept paperless statements.
What You Get
- 5% back at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta
- $10 reward certificate for signing up
- No annual fee
- NAVYIST status after earning 5,000 points in a year
- Worldwide acceptance
When you’re ready to redeem, every 500 points is worth a $5 reward that is valid only with the Old Navy family of brands. You can use your rewards for online or in-store purchases.
The Old Navy credit card does not offer special in-store financing.
If you can earn status, you can really get quite a few benefits. In order to get NAVYIST status, you need to earn at least 5,000 points within a calendar year. As a NAVYIST member, you’ll get a 20 percent reward bonus each quarter, free shipping for online purchases from Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and free basic alterations on Banana Republic purchases.
How Much Will You Earn with Old Navy Visa® Credit Card?
You’ll earn 5 points per dollar spent at Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta. Both in-store and online purchases are included. You’ll also earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. You can redeem 500 points for a $5 reward, which makes each point worth one cent.
That means that your Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta purchases earn 5 percent back, and purchases made elsewhere earn 1 percent.
If you earn NAVYIST status, you’ll get a 20 percent bonus on all of your rewards at the end of each quarter. That means that your purchases at Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta will earn 6 percent back, and all other purchases will earn 1.2 percent back. That’s not bad for a store card.
Old Navy Credit Card Rewards
- Banana Republic
- Old Navy
- Athleta purchases
- All Other Purchases
Should You Get the Old Navy Credit Card?
The Old Navy card isn’t bad for a store card, especially if you shop at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta on a regular basis. You’ll earn 5 percent back on those purchases and 1 percent back on all other purchases. You’re really not going to beat a 5 percent return at Old Navy and its family of stores.
If you earn at least 5,000 points a year, you’ll be rewarded with NAVYIST status. That gets you 20 percent more points, plus other perks. With the 20 percent bonus, you’ll actually be earning 6 percent back at Old Navy and its family of brands, which is unbeatable. Plus you’ll get 1.2 percent back on all other purchases, which is really quite good for a no annual fee store card.
Should you get the card? It depends how often you shop at Old Navy and its family of stores. If you spend over $1,000 per year at Old Navy, you should get this card hands down because that’s enough to earn NAVYIST status. Even if you don’t spend quite that much, 5 percent is a really good return on spending.
If you don’t shop at Old Navy and its family of stores very often, it’s not worth getting the Old Navy card. Earning only 1 percent back at other stores isn’t good. There are other cards that offer 2 percent back on all purchases, like Citi® Double Cash Card.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Most people who are successfully approved for the Old Navy credit card have a credit score of 600 or higher. If your credit score is lower, it is still possible that you will be approved, and a higher score does not guarantee approval. Your entire application will be evaluated before a decision is reached.
- When you make your first purchase, you will automatically be given an online account, or you can set it up yourself ahead of time. There are several benefits to having a single online account with Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta.Whether your shopping trip includes one of the online stores or all four, you can sign in with a single username and password, collect all your items in the same shopping bag and check out just once. Your billing information is securely saved so you don't have to enter it over again.You’ll also have quick and easy access to all of the addresses you use since all of your shipping addresses are saved in one place. You can follow the progress of your current order and look back at your past orders, too.If you choose, you will be emailed updates about merchandise and what's going on at all Old Navy and family stores.
Can I use the rewards certificate that I earned from my Old Navy credit card at Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta?Yes, you can. You can both earn bonus points and use rewards certificates at all the stores within the Gap, Inc. family of brands, which includes all four stores (Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta).
- You can’t. You need the Old Navy credit card, or a credit card from Banana Republic, Gap or Athleta, in order to earn rewards for your purchases at Old Navy.
- Your rewards will automatically be mailed to you as soon as you have earned enough points for a reward. Reward certificates will arrive with your monthly statement.
- Yes, you can redeem your rewards certificate online or in-store.
- No, promotion codes are different from rewards certificates. You earn rewards certificates from spending on your Old Navy credit card. Promotions are special offers that are offered to new and current customers. They may provide a discount on merchandise or free shipping on an order. They usually have an expiration date.Before using any promotion, be sure to check its terms and conditions for specific guidelines and restrictions. Most promotions cannot be combined with other offers or discounts.There are two kinds of promotions. The first is coded promotions, which require you to enter a code as you check out. Unique codes are used for promotions offered to current customers via email, the postal service or in person. Unique codes are usually found under or near a barcode, or in a designated area of the message or coupon.Generic codes are used for promotions available to new and returning customers, via email, in stores, on websites or on Facebook or Twitter. Generic codes can be any number of letters or numbers, but often represent the promotion itself (for example, "FREESHIP" or "TAKE30OFF").Category promotions, which don't require the use of a code, are offered to anyone who shops on one of the store websites for a specific item or category of items, such as jeans or kids’ shirts, or during a specific period, such as Labor Day. The discounted price appears with the item description.
- You can return purchases in original condition within 45 days either to a store or by mail. Some items are not eligible for return or have additional restrictions. Banana Republic, Gap and Athleta all have somewhat different return policies.
- Yes, you can return purchases that were made online. These purchases follow the same return policy as purchases made in a store. Keep in mind, the 45 day return window requires that merchandise be received by that time, so you should leave time for the mail to be delivered.
- It is possible to return international orders, but exchanges are not currently possible. Shipping charges cannot be refunded.
- Yes, you can use your Old Navy credit card to buy a gift card from Old Navy or anywhere else. You can use the Old Navy card for purchases anywhere Visa is accepted.
There aren’t any other Old Navy cards, but Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta all offer credit cards.
Compare Cards in the Same Lineup
|Gap Visa® Card|
|Sign-up bonus||3,000 points||0 points||3,000 points||2,000 points|
|APR On Purchases||26.49% Variable±||26.49% Variable±||26.49% Variable±||26.49% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$240||$240||$240||$240|
For the most part, these cards are all pretty similar. In fact, they’re exactly the same in terms of rewards earned for everyday spending. However, from there, each card offers a few unique benefits.
The Gap card offers an extra 10 percent off every time you shop at Gap and Gap Factory stores, access to special events with exclusive discounts, bonus-point shopping days, a special birthday gift and receipt-free returns.
The Banana Republic card offers 20 percent off your first online purchase, double-point shopping days, card member-only offers and discounts, free standard shipping on all online orders of $50, a birthday gift and receipt-free returns.
The Athleta credit card offers a special birthday gift, exclusive bonus-point shopping days, two free expedited shipping passes per year, early access to sales and early access to new seasonal arrivals.
Since the points earning is the same between all of these cards, you should consider which of the four stores in the Gap, Inc. family you usually shop at. The additional benefits of each card are mostly related to a specific store. If you shop at multiple stores in the Gap family, it could make sense to have more than one of these card.
Some Alternative Cards for Old Navy Shoppers
Before you apply for the Old Navy credit card, it’s worth considering a few cashback cards. We will look at the Discover it – Cashback Match card, Citi Double Cash and the Chase Freedom Unlimited to see if one of these cards would work for Old Navy shoppers.
- Discover it® - Cashback Match™
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash CardRead Review
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®
15,000 points offerRead Review
Best Cashback Card
The best cashback card of this group is the Citi Double Cash. It offers 1 percent back when you make a purchase and an additional 1 percent back when you pay off your balance. This means that it’s really a 2.0 percent cashback card.
You’re not going to beat the 5 percent you can get at Old Navy with the Old Navy credit card, but you will be better off putting other purchases on the Citi Double Cash card for a 2.0 percent return instead of 1 percent from the Old Navy credit card. The Citi Double Cash card does not have an annual fee.
Best Rotating Category Card
The best credit card with rotating categories is Discover it – Cashback Match. This card offers 5.0 percent back for purchase categories that rotate every quarter. Department stores are typically included in one of these categories at some point during the year. That means that during one quarter of the year, this card will offer you the same amount of cash back for Old Navy purchases as the Old Navy credit card. The rest of the year, though, the Old Navy credit card is still a better bet.
The 5.0 percent category from the Discover it card often includes gas, grocery stores and drug stores for at least part of the year, so there’s an opportunity to get bigger returns from the Discover it card than the Old Navy card for non-Old Navy purchases. The Discover it card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Get the Biggest Bonus
The Chase Freedom Unlimited currently comes with a sign-up bonus of $150 after spending $500 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. It offers 1.5 points per dollar spent on all purchases, which can be redeemed for cash back at a rate of one cent per point. That makes it a 1.5 percent cashback card.
If you have a premium Chase card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, it’s possible to redeem those points through Chase’s travel portal at a higher rate. You could also transfer the Ultimate Rewards points to airline and hotel partners for even more value. It’s regularly possible to get well over two cents per point in value this way.
If you always redeem your points for two cents each, that makes the Chase Freedom Unlimited effectively a 3 percent back card for all purchases. That still doesn’t beat the Old Navy card for Old Navy and Gap, Inc. purchases, but it is significantly better for all other purchases. The Chase Freedom Unlimited doesn’t have an annual fee.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Old Navy credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Products with a manufacturer’s warranty of 3 years or less can be registered for the warranty to be doubled, up to 1 additional year.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 28.49% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Old Navy credit card offers standard security features including:
- Banking On the Go
- Track your account with the mobile app.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Zero Liability for Fraudulent Charges:
- Any suspicious or unfamiliar charges on the account can be reported and will be resolved appropriately.
- Year End Summary Statement:
- A detailed report of yearly spending, organized by category.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
This card does offer a couple of additional benefits.
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Provides coverage for rented vehicles against collision and theft, as long as the car rental company’s own insurance is declined. Coverage is secondary.
- Roadside Dispatch:
- A referral service for emergency roadside services, such as towing, jumpstarts, locksmiths and fuel delivery. Service calls cost $59.95.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Provides assistance and referrals with tasks like arranging for emergency transportation, sending messages, replacing tickets and finding lost luggage.
- Emergency Card Replacement and Emergency Cash Disbursement:
- Call Visa Global Customer Care Services toll free to have your card replaced or receive an emergency cash advance.