- for NHL Users90
- for Cash Rewards97
- for Everyday use97
NHL® Discover it® Credit Card
Like the other major sports leagues, the NHL has its own credit card, and you can choose one of 32 team designs to be branded on the front of your card to proudly show off your status as a super-fan. Unlike a lot of other credit cards that feature a logo, university or organization, this card actually has some great benefits, like the ability to earn lots of cash back on everyday purchases and Discover’s popular Cashback Match, which doubles all the rewards you earn in your first year as a cardholder.
This cashback card is part of the popular Discover it lineup, which means that your rewards come in the form of cashback, there are quarterly rotating 5 percent bonus categories for purchases and all the cash back you earn the first year is matched by Discover. There’s also no annual fee, so this is a great card to keep year after year.
Unfortunately, this card doesn’t come with a sign-up bonus. While you can earn a considerable amount of cash with this card, it would be nice to get something – even just $100 – for signing up. However, this is still a card worth a closer look.
Features and Benefits of NHL Discover it Card
The NHL card earns 1.0 percent back on every purchase as well as an extra 5.0 percent on rotating merchant categories each quarter throughout the year. While there is no sign-up bonus, your cashback earnings for the first year are doubled with no limits. So, if you spend $15,000 on the card and earned $150 in cash back, you would get another $150 at the end of the first year, for a total of $300 back. There are no caps on how much cash you can earn (or how much will be doubled).
Another nice benefit is the 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 14 months after you open your new account. This is a great intro period for a rewards credit card. That being said, we always recommend responsible spending despite the temptation to run up a big balance on your card when interest is not accruing.
That’s not all that comes with this no-fee card. You can earn extra NHL-related discounts, free FICO scores, and dedicated customer service that is completely U.S.-based.
What You Get
- 5.0% cash back on up to $1,500 spent in rotating bonus categories each quarter
- End-of-year cashback match after your first year as a card member
- 10% off every purchase at Shop.NHL.com
- 10% off a NHL.TV subscription
- 0% intro APR for the first 14 months
- No annual fee
- Your favorite NHL team’s logo branded on your card
- Free FICO score
- 100% U.S.-based customer service
Every purchase earns cash back with the NHL Discover card. Each month, your statement will reflect the rewards you earned and what your cashback balance is, but you can redeem your cash at any time. Whether you want a statement credit or a deposit to your bank account, there are no minimums to the amount you can cash out.
The NHL discounts are applied at checkout with the NLF Shop when you use the code ITPAYS. To get your discounted NHL.TV subscription, go to the NHL Shop online for the full details. Note: there’s no word yet on if this discount will continue in future seasons.
While there are no special APR offers specifically for NHL-related purchases, all your purchases and balance transfers are subject to a 0% introductory APR for your first 14 billing cycles. It’s true, you can earn great rewards and have a 0% APR all on the same card. Note that balance transfer fees do apply.
Sadly, your NHL credit card does not get you into the locker room or a meeting with the coach to share your views on defense. These cards are offered exclusively through Discover with no team involvement, so don’t try to stop by the hotdog stand either to haggle about your bill.
You can, however, use your NHL credit card to purchase merchandise from your favorite NHL team at the official online NHL shop and get 10 percent back. Plus, using your Discover it NHL card gets you a 10 percent discount on NHL.TV purchases.
Should You Get the NHL Card?
If you’re someone that wants cash back for your credit card rewards, the NHL card is definitely worth considering. You don’t need to be a hockey fan to get value out of this card. Like other Discover it products, this credit card earns cash on every purchase with different bonus categories offered every quarter throughout the year. Plus, after 12 months, your rewards will instantly double with the Discover Cashback Match. While there’s no sign-up bonus, this could be worth much more if you use this card a lot.
In addition, you could earn 5.0 percent back at gas stations, grocery stores, Amazon.com, restaurants, wholesale stores, etc., depending on what the special category is that quarter. While the rotating categories are capped at $1,500 each quarter, you can enjoy these extra earnings year after year, not just in the first year as a cardholder.
One aspect of this card we really like is the flexibility you have when it comes time to cash in your rewards. It’s easy to check your rewards balance online, and you can redeem your points for cash to your bank or a statement credit in any amount and at any time. That means you could cash in every month or give yourself an extra pay day once a year. It’s totally up to you, and your rewards won’t expire as long as your keep your account open.
The benefits don’t stop there. This card also offers an excellent 0% introductory APR on all purchases and balance transfers for the first full year of card membership plus two extra months. That’s right, you’ll get 14 months of 0%. You still need to make at least the minimum payment on your card every month, but this is a nice period of time to finance a big purchase or give yourself a little extra breathing room if you can’t pay off your balance in full.
Remember, though, interest will eventually kick in. We don’t advise carrying a balance, if possible, beyond the intro period. The interest charges you’ll pay will be a lot higher than the cash rewards you can earn.
Another perk is that this card will never have an annual fee. Some other popular cards do charge a fee after the first year, but not the NHL Discover it.
After the first year, the base rate of 1.0 percent back is not great, and there are other cards out there that earn 1.5X or 2X on every purchase, like the Quicksilver and Double Cash cards. But the 5.0 percent back categories and no annual fee can make this card worth keeping long term. You really just have to look at your spending and see what makes sense for you.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
Where can I apply for an NHL credit card? Do I have to live in the city or state of the team I want?The easiest place to apply for a card is online through Discover’s website. You can find limited information on the NHL’s website, but discover.com is your best resource.If your favorite team is not the home team of the city in which you live, it’s no problem. You can apply for any team’s card, not just the ones in your city or state.
- Unfortunately, you can’t. All rewards earned on different Discover cards are handled separately, but since you can redeem cash in any amount, there’s no real advantage to combining with other Discover cards you may have.
- Each year, Discover announces what the bonus categories will be every quarter. You have to activate your enrollment each time, but then your card will earn a total of 5.0 percent back on your first $1,500 in purchases in that category each quarter.If you max out those purchases, you’ll get a total of $75 back each quarter, which is a great of return. Remember, in your first year of card membership you’ll get the Cashback Match, doubling your rewards, even on the rotating 5.0 percent categories.
- Absolutely. The Cashback Match is one of the most popular benefits of Discover it cards. No matter where you like to spend your money, you can earn rewards. And no matter how you earn, including those 5 percent categories, it’ll be doubled at the end of 12 consecutive billing cycles.
- Hey, it happens. Whether your childhood team has fallen on hard times, or maybe you moved and just like your new team better, you’re not stuck with the card you originally applied for. Simply call up Discover, and they can send you a new reprinted card with a different team logo.
- Out of all the major sports in the U.S., the NHL card is by far the best. The NBA credit card has been discontinued, and the NFL card has more restrictions on how you can redeem rewards. Bank of America’s MLB cards aren’t bad, though, as they earn 2 percent and 3 percent back in various categories.However, none of those cards double your rewards after the first year, earn 5 percent back or let you redeem cash back in any amount. Heck, even if you don’t love hockey, this card is still the one to get.The MLB and NFL cards do have the edge when it comes to a sign-up bonus, though. But if you use your NHL credit card consistently throughout the year, you’ll probably earn more rewards through the first-year match.
- If cash back is what you’re after, you can redeem your rewards any time, for any amount. You can get a statement credit, a check in the mail or a deposit to your bank account. This is the ultimate flexibility, and your points are worth one cent each no matter how often you redeem.However, if you would like to get a gift card instead of cash, you must have 2,000 points saved up in order to redeem. Then again, if you really wanted a $10 gift card and have enough points, you could go to that store, buy the card and then redeem your points as a credit to cover your purchase.
Compare Discover it Cards
Discover offers multiple flavors of their popular Discover it cards that operate similarly. They all have no annual fee and match your rewards after the first year, but there are slight differences as well.
Compare Cards in the Same Lineup
At first glance, these cards appear very similar, but they do have a few minor differences. The NHL card offers 1.0 percent back on every purchase with rotating 5.0 percent categories.
The Chrome Restaurant and Gas card also earns 1.0 percent back everywhere, but it offers 2.0 cash rewards on the first $1,000 spent each quarter on restaurants and gas station purchases. This card is nice for earning extra cash on dining every quarter, but compared to the NHL card, the threshold is lower ($1,000 vs. $1,500), and it’s only an extra 1 percent in rewards.
The Discover it Miles card earns a flat 1.5 miles per dollar spent on every purchase. These miles are really another form a cash back which can only be redeemed as statement credits toward travel purchases. It does earn the full Discover match each year, but these rewards aren’t as flexible.
Cards with no annual fee are great, but it’s a good idea to crunch the numbers based on your spending habits to see which card is best for you. If you don’t travel much, the Miles card probably isn’t for you. Maybe you like to dine out a lot. Then the Chrome Restaurant and Gas card may be a better fit. Or, the NHL card may be your best bet if you can maximize the quarterly bonus categories.
Some Alternative Cashback Cards
Cash is king, and every bank offers some sort of cashback card. A lot of credit card users shy away from annual fees, so offering a card without one is very popular as well. Let’s take a look at some no-fee, cashback cards.
- Citi® Double Cash Card
$100 cash back bonusRead Review
- American Express® Blue Cash® Card
3% at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores
- Chase Freedom® Card
$150 bonus offerRead Review
Best Everyday Cashback Card
Citi’s Double Cash card can earn 2.0 percent back on every purchase. This is a great deal for a card with no annual fee, but this card does have a small gimmick to earning your rewards.
With each purchase, you get 1 percent back in cash, but you earn the other 1 percent each time you pay your bill on time. If you spend $100, that’s $1 back when you spend, then another $1 once you send Citi a payment for that purchase. Still, 2 percent back on all purchases is hard to beat.
Best Consistent Bonus Categories
If you’re like most Americans, you probably spend a lot of your paycheck at the supermarket and at the gas station. With the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express, you’ll get 3 percent back on the first $6,000 in purchases each year at the grocery store. Then, you’ll earn an unlimited 2 percent back at the pump and 1 percent back everywhere else. With this card, your cash can add up fast, particularly if you typically have high grocery bills.
The card most like the NHL Discover card is the Chase Freedom. It also offers 1.0 percent back on every purchase with 5.0 percent rotating categories on up to $1,500 in spending each quarter. As we mentioned, neither card has an annual fee.
The Discover card has the leg up because of the Cashback Match, which could be a huge influx of cash at the end of your first cardholder year. However, the Freedom card rewards can also be combined with Chase’s premium Sapphire or Ink cards, which would let you either redeem points at a higher rate or transfer them to Chase’s travel partners. None of the other cards we’ve discussed have this potential flexibility, and that’s why the Chase Freedom is a popular card for customers that value Chase’s Ultimate Rewards program.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the NHL credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Discover card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% intro APR for 14 months from date of account opening
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% intro APR for 14 months from date of first transfer, for transfers under this offer that post to your account by June 10, 2018
- Ongoing APR:
- 13.24% to 24.24% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Your Discover card will extend the warranty of certain big-ticket items for up to a full year if the manufacturer’s warranty is 36 months or less.
- Purchase Protection:
- Certain purchases are covered for up to $500if they are damaged or stolen within 90 days.
- Price Protection:
- Have you ever made a purchase then the price drops a week later? With your Discover it card, you will refunded the difference up to $500 within 90 days of purchase.
- Return Protection:
- Discover will cover eligible purchases for up to $500 if the original store will not return the item within 90 days.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
Discover takes its customers’ security seriously and offers many ways to help safeguard your account. They offered free credit scores before most other banks, and that information can help you detect a problem with your credit quickly. They also offer free credit alerts, the ability to freeze your account and other online tools to help you manage your financial life.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the Discover mobile app, and of course, you can check your account from your home or office computer at any time.
- Chip Technology:
- Every Discover card has an embedded chip for greater security and worldwide acceptance.
- Credit Score Monitoring:
- Discover helps you monitor your credit with free credit alerts, and they’re even offered for noncustomers.
- Freeze It:
- Lost your card? You can log in to freeze your account so no new purchases will be authorized until you locate your card.
- Mobile Wallet:
- Mobile payments are even more secure, and Discover cards can be used with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Android Pay and Walmart Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The NHL credit card is offered with Discover’s standard benefits. See below.
Discover Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Get up to $25,000 in vehicle coverage for your rental. Coverage is secondary to your personal auto insurance.
- Flight Accident Insurance:
- Buy your ticket with your Discover card and get up to $500,000 in coverage for you and your travel companions.