- for Best Buy Customers55
- for Cash Rewards65
- for Everyday use68
My Best Buy® Visa® Credit Card
The card sometimes also has promotional offers allowing members to get 3 percent back in select categories, such as gas and groceries. In any case, it’s likely that there is a better card to fit your needs if you’re only in it for the rewards.
The Best Buy Visa card comes with between 6 and 24 months of special financing for Best Buy purchases of $199 or more, which could be a good reason to get the card. However, these special financing periods only defer interest earned until the end of the period if the balance is not paid in full. So it is necessary to completely pay for your purchase during the financing period or the offer does you no good at all. Also, you must forfeit your rewards in order to take advantage of the special financing.
Overall, the Best Buy card is an okay store card that could make sense for some customers. However, most people would do better with a fixed 2 percent cashback card like the Citi Double Cash.
Features and Benefits
The Best Buy Visa credit card doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, but it does offer decent return on spending, especially for Best Buy purchases. Additionally, if you’re making a big purchase at Best Buy, the Best Buy Visa will let you give up your rewards in exchange for a special financing period. Depending on the size and category of your purchase, special financing periods can range from six to 24 months.
What You Get
- Rewards for everyday spending, including 5.0% at Best Buy and 2.0% at restaurants
- No annual fee
- Elite Plus Membership if you spend $3,500 per year, which gives you 6% back at Best Buy
- Option to choose 0% financing for up to 24 months instead of rewards for purchases that are $199 or more
When you earn rewards with your Best Buy Visa card, you actually earn points that can be redeemed for Reward Certificates that are valid at Best Buy. The cashback percentage is equivalent to the cash back you will receive in the form of a Reward Certificate when you redeem your points.
If you make a purchase with your Best Buy Visa card, you can choose to not earn points on purchases that are $199 or more and instead get special financing. Depending on the amount of your purchase, you will receive an offer for a special financing period of 6 to 24 months. During this time, any interest accrued on your purchase is deferred or forgiven. If you fully pay off your purchase during that time, you will not need to pay any interest at all. If you are not able to fully pay off your purchase in that time, you will have to pay all of the interest that has accrued up until that point. For that reason, you only want to use the special financing offer if you know that you can pay the full amount of your purchase before the special financing period is over.
The main perk offered to cardholders is the ability to earn Elite Plus Membership. Elite Plus Membership can be earned after spending at least $3,500 on Best Buy purchases within a year. After earning Elite Plus Membership, cardholders will earn an additional 1 percent back on Best Buy purchases, for a total of 6 percent back, plus other great benefits, like free two-day shipping, free scheduled delivery, 45 days to make returns and exchanges, access to special sales and offers, free setup by Geek Squad and a dedicated 24/7 customer service line.
How Much Will You Earn with My Best Buy® Visa® Credit Card?
You can make purchases with your Best Buy Visa card at Best Buy and anywhere Visa cards are accepted. When making purchases at Best Buy, you’ll earn 5.0 percent back in rewards, dining purchases earn 2.0 percent back and all other purchases will earn 1.0 percent back. As a general rule, the Best Buy Visa will also offers limited time bonus rewards offers, like 3 percent back at gas stations and grocery stores, but they change and aren’t always available.
Best Buy Credit Card Rewards
- Car Rental
- Best Buy purchases
- All Other Purchases
What is the Value of Best Buy Card Rewards Points
The percentages listed in the section above correlate to the value of rewards you’ll earn back with your card, not the points themselves. In order to redeem for a $5 Reward Certificate, which is good for purchases at Best Buy, you’ll need 250 points. If you are making purchases that don’t fall into a bonus category, you’ll need to make $500 in purchases to earn a $5 Reward Certificate, equivalent to 1 percent back on those purchases.
Since Best Buy Rewards points are only good for Rewards Certificates that can be used at Best Buy, there’s no advantage to thinking about the rewards you earn with the card as points. In essence, you earn a percentage back for each purchase, which is good toward future Best Buy purchases. If you get 2 percent back at a restaurant, you’re essentially getting two cents toward a future Best Buy purchase for every dollar you spend. And 1 percent back earns one cent per dollar spent, etc.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
We use the following formula to calculate the CPP:
Should You Get the Best Buy Visa card?
Since the rewards earned from the Best Buy Visa card are limited to Best Buy Reward Certificates, the Best Buy credit card will only make sense for people in a few specific circumstances. The most obvious being someone who frequently shops at Best Buy. Not only will you have a use for the Reward Certificates that you’ll earn, but you’ll also get 5.0 percent back on all of your purchases at Best Buy.
Even if you don’t shop at Best Buy frequently, the Best Buy credit card could still be an okay option. If you have a big Best Buy purchase coming up and want to take advantage of 6 to 24 months of special financing, the card could be a great choice. You would want to be sure that you can pay off the full purchase within the special financing period, though. If you don’t, you’ll be stuck with a bill for all of the interest that accrued during that period.
If you don’t fall into those categories but can still make use of the 2.0 percent back for dining and occasionally make purchases at Best Buy, the card may still be an okay choice.
Even if you do fall into one of the categories above, you should still consider other credit cards that might be more valuable and earn you more rewards. The 2 percent back Citi Double Cash card, for instance, earn two cent per dollar spent on all purchases. Plus, the rewards you earn with that card are straight cash back. They are not tied to any store. We will go into more detail below about other credit card options below.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Most people who apply for the Best Buy Visa card and are approved report having a credit score of 650 or higher. It is possible to get approved with a lower credit score, and a higher score does not guarantee approval. Your full application will be evaluated before a decision is reached.
- If you don’t have a My Best Buy loyalty program account when you apply for your Best Buy Visa card, you will be automatically enrolled. There is no need to enroll in My Best Buy separately.
- Status begins when you qualify, continues through the end of the following calendar year, and ends on the last day of the following February. In any subsequent year, a member may re-qualify for status when the member reaches the published spend requirement on qualifying purchases at Best Buy or BestBuy.com during the calendar year, or the spend requirement on the My Best Buy Visa.
- My Best Buy Elite members have 30 days and My Best Buy Elite Plus members have 45 days from the date of the transaction to return or exchange qualifying Best Buy and BestBuy.com purchases. Normal members have 15 days from the date of transaction.Certain products have different return policies. For example, you can return or exchange cell phones with a carrier contract and unlocked phones within 14 days. Like the carrier stores, Best Buy has a charge for the return or exchange of these products. This return period and charge also apply if you are a My Best Buy Elite or Elite Plus member.Also, Best Buy Home Security powered by Vivint has a 15 day return policy for all customers, including My Best Buy Elite and My Best Buy Elite Plus customers.
- Your family and friends can’t earn points for you unless you add them as an authorized user on your credit card. This is an option, but you’ll want to be careful of who you add because you will be responsible for any purchases they make on your Best Buy Visa account.
- Yes, you will earn points when you purchase a Best Buy gift card.
- Yes, some purchases are not eligible to earn points. They include purchases made for resale; purchases paid for with a reward certificate or Best Buy gift card; some charges and fees including sales tax, state fees and service charges; commercial purchases; payments made on any Best Buy credit card; and My Best Buy credit card or Visa purchases that use promotional credit.
- On most eligible purchases, your points will post to your account approximately 15 days from your purchase date, delivery date or shipment date, with one exception: points for purchases made outside Best Buy with a Best Buy Visa card post monthly based approximately on the credit card statement cycle.
- If there is no activity on your Best Buy account for a period of 12 consecutive months, the points in your account (excluding Elite Plus members) will be issued as a reward certificate down to the $5 level and any remaining points will be lost.
- No, you do not need to print your reward certificate. If you don’t want to print them, you can download the free Best Buy Mobile app for iPhone and Android and redeem the reward certificates right on your phone.
Compare Best Buy Cards
The only other Best Buy credit card is the My Best Buy credit card. It offers many similar benefits to the Best Buy Visa card, but it is more limited.
Compare Cards in the Same Lineup
|Sign-up bonus||0 points||$0|
|APR On Purchases||26.74% Variable±||26.74% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$0||$240|
The My Best Buy credit card is only valid for purchases at Best Buy. This is the main difference between it and the Best Buy Visa card. You’ll still earn 5 percent back on purchases at Best Buy in the form of Reward Certificates, and you will still have the option for special financing on purchases over $199.
You cannot use the My Best Buy credit card on purchases outside of Best Buy. For that reason, there are no 1 or 2 percent back categories. The My Best Buy credit card might be an okay option for someone who only needs the card to shop at Best Buy, but overall, it probably makes more sense to have the more flexible My Best Buy Visa card.
Some Alternative Cards for Best Buy Shoppers
We mentioned above that there are other cards out there that could be a better option than the Best Buy Visa credit card, especially for people who only occasionally shop at Best Buy. Below we will look at three different cards: the Discover it Cashback Match, Citi Double Cash card and Blue Cash from American Express.
If you’re a very frequent Best Buy shopper, there’s no doubt that the ability to earn 5.0 percent back on Best Buy purchases with the Best Buy Visa card is a good option. But if you’re only an occasional Best Buy shopper, or you rarely shop at Best Buy, then any of the other cards above are likely to be a better option.
Best Rotating Category Card
The Discover it Cashback Match card is really great because, while Discover doesn’t offer a specific sign-up bonus, they will double all of the cash back you earn in the first year. Discover also offers 5.0 percent cashback categories that rotate every quarter. They change every year but usually include categories like restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, Amazon and more.
It’s definitely not a guarantee that there will be a Discover cashback category that will earn you 5.0 percent back at Best Buy, but it is very likely that you’ll have the chance to earn 5.0 percent back at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants for at least one quarter of the year. All other purchases earn 1.0 percent back.
Don’t forget, for the first year Discover doubles all cashback earned—so you’re really earning 10 percent back in quarterly rotating categories and 2 percent back on all other purchases for 12 months. For the occasional Best Buy shopper, this will probably net you more rewards. Plus, you can use your rewards anywhere, not just at Best Buy.
Best Fixed Earning Rate Card
The Citi Double Cash card is simpler. You’ll earn 1 percent back on all purchases when you pay and another 1 percent back when you pay off your card. So you’re netting 2.0 percent back on all purchases. The Citi Double Cash card does not offer a sign-up bonus.
Get the Biggest Sign-Up Bonus
The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express offers 3.0 percent back at U.S. supermarkets on the first $6,000 in purchases each year, 2.0 percent back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores and 1.0 percent back on all other purchases. It also offers a $150 sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 within your first three months of card membership.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Best Buy Visa credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa card.
- Intro APR:
- 11.90% for select purchases eligible for the 48 month reduced rate credit plan
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.74% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 29.49% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Best Buy Visa credit card offers the following standard security features:
- $0 Fraud Liability:
- You’re never liable for fraudulent purchases.
- Online Banking:
- Access to an online and mobile banking app so you can monitor your spending while you’re on the go.
- Chip + Signature Technology:
- Enhanced security with Chip + Signature technology.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Best Buy Visa credit card does not offer additional cardholder benefits.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
UGC Disclosure: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.