Miles & More® World Elite MasterCard®
The Miles & More World Elite MasterCard is designed for frequent customers of Lufthansa and its partners, Adria Airways, AirDolomiti, Austrian Airlines Group, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, SWISS International Air Lines, Luxair and LOT Polish Airlines. They are all members of the Star Alliance. The credit card offers a sizeable sign-up bonus of up to 50,000 miles that can be used toward flights operated by any of these carriers and their alliance partners.
The card also comes with a few valuable perks, such as Lufthansa lounge passes and an annual companion ticket. Together, the airlines that are part of the Miles & More program service a wide variety of destinations all over the world, which leaves no shortage of award redemption choices.
One of the Miles & More card’s big benefits is the ability to book flights in Lufthansa’s desirable first class cabin before members of other frequent flyer programs. Lufthansa doesn’t release these seats to partners very far in advance of their departures dates and having some Miles & More miles handy can be an advantage if you value luxury in the sky.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Miles & More® World Elite MasterCard® offers and the value of the Barclays Miles & More miles you earn.
You’ll earn 20,000 miles after making your first purchase or a balance transfer on the Barclays Miles & More card. You can earn another 30,000 miles if you spend $5,000 on the card in the first three months after account opening. That’s 50,000 miles total.
Unfortunately, the minimum spending requirement is on the high end, but it’s not unachievable. To earn the full bonus, you might want to shift all your spending to this card for the first few months, including bills and everyday items.
The card also offers the ability to convert earned points to elite status miles at a ratio of 5 to 1, meaning every 5,000 redeemable miles equal to 1,000 status miles. You’ll get up to a 15 percent discount on hotel and car rentals, too, if you book directly from the Miles & More Hotels and Miles & More Cars websites.
What You Get
- Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase
- Get an additional 30,000 miles if you spend 5,000 within 3 months
- Free companion ticket annually
- 2 complimentary Lufthansa Business Lounge passes every year
- Up to a 15% discount on hotels and car rentals through Miles & More
- 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers
- 2 miles per dollar spent with Lufthansa and its airline partners
Miles & More miles do not expire for 36 months after they’re earned. However, having held the co-branded credit card for at least three months extends their validity to indefinitely with a qualifying activity of at least one purchase every month.
What is the value of the Miles & More Miles?
The Miles & More credit card earns miles in Lufthansa’s loyalty program. Those miles can be redeemed for award flights on Lufthansa and any of its Star Alliance partners. The Miles & More program uses zone-based award charts, and the value of themiles will vary from redemption to redemption.
Two stopovers are permitted on round-trip awards, which can really help you stretch the value of your miles. You can visit three or four different cities on one ticket for the price of just one round-trip award if you also utilize open-jaws and fill in the gaps with other transit options, such as trains, buses or cheap flights operated by domestic airlines.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket (minus taxes and fees charged for an award ticket) by the number of miles the award flight costs. This is a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the flight in both cash and miles fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPM:
The Best Ways to Redeem Miles & More Miles
The best way to redeem Miles & More miles is for flights operated by Star Alliance airlines. It’s important to note that some airlines impose ridiculously high fuel surcharges on award tickets. For example, Lufthansa itself charges exorbitant fees on its flights, especially for a premium cabin award.
In some cases, the charges can be higher than the cost of the actual airfare, and you have to be extremely careful when picking the airline you’re going to fly with. That said, not all carriers impose high fees, such as United Airlines. It might make sense to redeem your Miles & More miles on United-operated flights to avoid paying crazy taxes.
Also, Miles & More offers special Mileage Bargains that present an opportunity to redeem fewer miles to select destinations that vary every few months. It’s possible to receive a redemption discount on flights operated by Lufthansa, Austrian and LOT.
Atlanta–HonoluluEconomy classMiles price40,000miles+$20.0 feeDollars price$942
Atlanta–Los AngelesEconomy classMiles price25,000miles+$29.0 feeDollars price$307
Jacksonville–DallasEconomy classMiles price25,000miles+$27.0 feeDollars price$329
Los Angeles–FrankfurtEconomy classMiles price50,000miles+$47.0 feeDollars price$893
New York–MunicEconomy classMiles price50,000miles+$23.0 feeDollars price$1,436
Houston–BerlinEconomy classMiles price50,000miles+$156.0 feeDollars price$1,006
New York–HoustonBusiness classMiles price35,000miles+$13.0 feeDollars price$737
Seattle–AustinBusiness classMiles price35,000miles+$27.0 feeDollars price$829
San Francisco–BostonBusiness classMiles price35,000miles+$15.0 feeDollars price$1,145
Houston–KingstonBusiness classMiles price135,000miles+$28.0 feeDollars price$6,304
Charlotte–MoscowBusiness classMiles price105,000miles+$644.0 feeDollars price$3,952
Orlando–CologneBusiness classMiles price105,000miles+$73.0 feeDollars price$3,203
Other ways you can redeem miles
Miles & More miles can be used to purchase merchant gift cards from dozens of popular retailers.
Car Rental16 partners16 partners
Miles & More members can redeem their points for car rental reservations with select partners (Alamo, Avis, Budget, etc).
Hotel Stays108 partners108 partners
It is possible to use Miles & More miles to book rooms at more than 200,000 hotels around the world (AccorHotels, AC Hotels by Marriott, Adagio, etc).
The Miles & More World Elite MasterCard from Barclaycard earns two miles per dollar spent on airfare directly with Lufthansa and other Miles & More airline partners. You’ll also earn one mile per dollar for all other purchases.
Yes, the earning rate could be better, but what sets this card apart from its competitors is the fact that the bonus applies to tickets purchased from all the integrated partners listed above. It doesn’t matter if you fly with Lufthansa or SWISS or LOT—every airline in the Miles & More network earns double miles on the card.
- Car Rental
- Lufthansa purchases
- All Other Purchases
Complimentary Lounge Access
Miles & More cardholders receive two vouchers to any Lufthansa Business Lounge. The benefit applies every year the card is open and in good standing.
Primary cardholders receive one economy class companion ticket after the first purchase and then every year the card is renewed. Please note that you’ll have to pay for the taxes and fees on the companion ticket.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
No fees apply to purchases made outside of the U.S.
Earn Elite Status Fast
As a cardholder, you are eligible for a status miles conversion. You can convert a minimum of 5,000 miles, and up to maximum of 25,000 miles, into elite status earning miles at a ratio of 5 to 1. That means that every 5,000 redeemable miles are worth 1,000 status miles and help you achieve or maintain elite status with the Miles & More program.
- Convert miles to elite status earning miles at a rate of 5 to 1
Fees: the cost of Having the Card
Miles & More miles are valued significantly higher than miles earned with many other rewards programs at 2.31 cents each. The card’s annual fee is $89, which is not waived for the first year. To break even with the fee, you must spend at least $3,853 on the card annually. Of course, your valuations may vary, depending on how you redeem the miles you earn.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- Up to $37
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $1,285 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the Miles & More® World Elite MasterCard®. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Miles & More MasterCard
In exchange for the $89 annual fee, the Miles & More World Elite MasterCard offers cardholders several valuable perks. Let’s take a look at the best ones.
- Big Sign-Up Bonus: Lufthansa miles are worth more compared to many other airlines, making the card’s full welcome bonus of 50,000 miles worth about $1,155 when redeemed for flights.
- Free Companion Ticket: A family or friend can fly with you for the cost of taxes on a round-trip flight in economy class. Every year you renew the card, you renew the companion voucher as well.
- Two Lufthansa Business Lounge Vouchers: Airport food can be expensive, and what’s better than free food and drinks on a long layover? The ability to bring a friend with you. New passes are issued every account anniversary.
- Earning Miles on Multiple Airlines: Typically, co-branded credit cards offer bonus miles on just one airline, but Miles & More doubles your miles on every purchase made with almost a dozen airlines.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: Some cards charge up to 3 percent on transactions made outside of the U.S. With this card, you will pay nothing extra on purchases made overseas.
Should You Get the Miles & More World Elite MasterCard?
The Miles & More credit card is designed for travelers who fly on Lufthansa or its integrated partners, especially to and from Europe. The 50,000 miles sign-up bonus is enough for a round-trip flight from the United States to Europe, but you have to depart from the U.S. for the special pricing to apply. The downside is a relatively high minimum spend of $5,000 to earn the bonus.
The free companion ticket alone can benefit cardholders immensely, but keep in mind that certain fare classes are restricted. The two complimentary lounge passes can add quite a bit of value for frequent travelers as well.
Casual travelers are not the targeted audience for this card, though. You have to travel at least a couple of times per year on Lufthansa or other Miles & More airline partners to make this card’s $89 annual fee worth it.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- It’s great to be able to buy a second ticket for one of your friends or family members for just the cost of taxes and fees, but there are restrictions on how the companion certificate can be used. The certificate applies to round-trip Lufthansa flights in economy fare class H or higher. The flight must depart the United States and travel to Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Far East regions.As mentioned before, Lufthansa charges high fuel surcharges on its long-haul award tickets, so using the companion ticket might not save you a lot of money, depending on the route.
- You do not have to live in Europe to apply for the Miles & More World Elite MasterCard from Barclaycard. In fact, it is targeted specifically to U.S. residents. The card issuer is able to verify the necessary application information of U.S. residents only and will not approve you without verification.Please note that the Miles & More rewards card is a MasterCard, and you can rest assured that most merchants worldwide will accept your payment method.
- Yes, the Miles & More credit card comes with a microchip embedded inside. The purpose of the chip is to provide enhanced security and fraud prevention when using your card.If you’re at an establishment that does not have a chip reader and cannot process your card that way, do not worry. The card still has a magnetic stripe on the back, and you can swipe the card the old-fashioned way to pay for your purchase.
Barclaycard issues several other co-branded airline credit cards, including the AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard, Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard and Frontier Airlines World MasterCard. Let’s take a look at their key points.
Other Barclays Airline cards
|AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite MasterCard®||Hawaiian Airlines® World Elite MasterCard®||Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®|
|Sign-up bonus||60,000 miles||50,000 miles||35,000 miles||40,000 miles|
|APR On Purchases||16.99% to 25.99% Variable±||16.99% to 25.99% Variable±||16.99% to 25.99% Variable±||16.99% to 25.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$374||$554||$461||$362|
The AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MasterCard issued by Barclays offers free checked bags, earns double miles on American Airlines purchases and you’ll get 10 percent of your redeemed miles back. The card has a 60,000 miles sign-up bonus and is a decent card for passengers who fly on American Airlines a few times per year.
The Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard offers cardholders 35,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days of account opening. Additionally, a companion discount benefit allows the primary cardholders to book a flight between North America and Hawaii in economy class with a 50 percent discount.
The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard offers 40,000 bonus miles to members who make just $600 in purchases in the first 90 days of card membership. If you don’t mind flying with a low-cost domestic carrier, then you might benefit from this credit card.
Compare Miles & More World Elite MasterCard to Other Cards
If the Miles & More credit card from Barclays doesn’t fit your travel needs, I recommend checking out some other rewards cards.
The Gold Delta SkyMiles credit card from American Express is targeted toward those who prefer to travel with Delta. The sign-up bonus is 30,000 miles after spending $1,000 within three months. The card also offers a $50 statement credit that’s to be used toward Delta purchases in the first three months, plus free checked bags for the cardholder and up to eight companions and Zone 1 boarding.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred card offers members 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4,000 on the card in the first three month. The points are flexible, which means they can be redeemed for cash back or for travel through the Chase travel portal, or transferred to a number of hotel and airline partners. The card is best for well-rounded travelers who do not fly with just one specific airline.
The United MileagePlus Explorer card offers 40,000 United Airlines miles to cardholders who spend $2,000 in the first three months. It earns two miles per dollar spent with United and one mile on all other spending. The card comes with two United Club passes every account anniversary and offers cardholders expanded Saver award availability.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Miles & More World Elite MasterCard, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this World MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Ongoing APR:
- 16.99% to 25.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Extended warranty doubles the original warranty provided by the manufacturer (not to exceed 12 months) for a new item. Coverage is limited to $10,000. If the original manufacturer’s warranty goes beyond 12 months, the extended warranty benefit does not apply.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Miles & More card comes with EMV chip technology, banking on the go and access to a FICO score. Also, the card offers a zero liability benefit to cardholders who want to be protected against unauthorized charges.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the mobile app
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Reports:
- Monitor your credit history for unusual activity, including recently opened accounts and inquiries made on your history.
Barclaycard participates in Apple Pay, which is available on all U.S.-branded MasterCard and Visa cards. The feature allows card members to pay for purchases by simply tapping their Apple device at participating merchants.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Barclays offers secondary coverage in the case of theft or damage. The primary cardholder and additional drivers are covered when they decline the auto rental company’s collision damage waiver and pay for the rental with the Miles & More World Elite MasterCard.
- Baggage Delay Insurance:
- In the event of a baggage delay of six hours or longer, cardholders are eligible for reimbursement for expenses, such as toiletries and clothing. Coverage is limited to $100 a day for three days and $300 annually.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- Customers can get up to $3,000 per passenger for damaged or lost bags. Coverage includes the cardholder and immediate family members on the same travel itinerary.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption:
- Trip cancellation or interruption may include reasons such as death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness. Cardholders can receive up to $1,500 for themselves and immediate family members.
- Master RoadAssist Service:
- Call 1-800-MC-ASSIST (62-277478) for roadside assistance needed in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Services include lockout service, towing, jump-start and gasoline delivery. Service charges apply.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $250,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your Miles & More World Elite MasterCard.
- Travel Assistance Services:
- When you’re 100 miles or more away from home, travel assistant services may provide information on travel requirements, emergency cash transfers, and medical and legal assistance.