Menards® Big Card®
The card is issued by Capital One and offers a 2.0 percent rebate on purchases made at Menards. If you’re a frequent Menards shopper, your savings will add up since the card rebate can be combined with discounts, other in-store rebates, special promotions and sales. You’ll benefit from a 1.0 percent rebate at participating gas stations, too. Cardholders can also get special financing on purchases over $299.
One downside is that you can only use the card at Menards and participating gas stations, plus rewards are only issued in the form of Menards store certificates. Another negative of the card is that high APRs and late fees make it a terrible choice for anyone who doesn’t pay off their balances every month.
Frequent Menards shoppers with at least a fair credit score who do not plan on carrying a balance should consider getting the Menards Big Card. You’ll be able to build your credit while earning a rebate on purchases. If you have good credit or better, though, you should consider a solid cashback credit card instead.
Features and Benefits
Many store-branded credit cards can only be used at the affiliated store. The Menards Big Card is similar but adds the extra flexibility of being accepted at select gas stations as well. You’ll receive a 2.0 percent rebate on your purchases at Menards and 1.0 percent at participating gas stations. That can be added to any in-store rebates you might receive, so combining the discounts can really add up.
If you’re looking to finance a home improvement project or that fancy new snow blower, Menards offers cardholders special promotional financing plans, including some with zero interest. Financed purchases do not receive the 2.0 percent rebate.
What You Get
- 2.0% back on purchases at Menards.
- 1.0% back at Speedway, Holiday, Kwik Trip and Kwik Star gas stations
- 0% APR financing for purchases of $299 to $1,499
- Reduced APR for purchases of $1,500 or more
- No annual fee
- Exclusive access to Menards Big Card sales events
Your 2.0 percent rebate is accumulated in your account and issued quarterly in the form of merchandise certificates. The certificate minimum is $5. If you do not have $5 in accumulated rebates, the rewards roll over to the next quarter. There is no limit as to the amount you can earn, but large purchases for which you have selected special financing do not receive the rebate.
Menards Big Card holders have the option to forego the 2.0 percent rebate on large purchases and receive special financing instead. Special financing allows you to spread out the repayment of your purchase over a specific period of time.
Cardholders are offered special promotional financing plans which may include the Waived Interest Charge credit plan, the Same-as-Cash monthly payment plan and the Reduced Rate credit plan. The current promotional financing plans include a waived interest plan on pre-tax purchases of $299 or greater. You can finance the repayment over a six-month period from the date of purchase. Interest is deferred for the entire period, and if you pay off the entire balance by the deadline, you will be charged no interest.
If your pre-tax purchase amount is $1,500 or more, you can choose a reduced rate credit plan which offers financing for the purchase over a 48-month period. The interest rate for this 48-month promotional financing is 3.99%.
Minimum payments are required for each statement period for the special financing options, and payments must be made on time. If not, penalty APRs can reach 29.24%. If the balance is not paid off by the deadline, any balance will be charged the standard variable interest rate, which is currently 26.24%.
In addition to receiving a 2.0 percent rebate on Menards purchases, customers who hold the Big Card can combine that savings with in-store and manufacturers rebates. Menards in-store rebates range from 1.0 to 11 percent and are issued in the form of store credits. Cardholders also receive a 1.0 percent rebate at affiliated gas stations.
On Menards purchases of $299 or more, cardholders can forego the 2.0 percent rebate and select special financing that can range from 6 to 84 months, depending on current promotional financing offers. Cardholders also receive special invitations to Menards Big Card sales events.
How Much Will You Earn with Menards® Big Credit Card®?
Like many store-branded credit cards, you can use your Menards card only at affiliated stores. The good news is that Menards includes some gas stations in their rebate program. If you’re shopping frequently at Menards and getting your tank filled up at one of the participating gas stations, you’ll soon earn certificates you can use to offset your spending at Menards. You cannot use your Menards Big Card anywhere other than Menards and Speedway, Holiday, Kwik Trip and Kwik Star gas stations.
- Menards purchases
While earning rebates on your Menards and affiliated gas station purchases is great, you’ll be rewarded with rebate certificates that can only be used at Menards. Sure, saving money on future purchases has value, but store certificates do not have the same flexibility as cash back.
Should You Get the Menards Big Card?
Do you shop at Menards on a regular basis and frequent a Speedway, Holiday, Kwik Trip or Kwik Star gas station? If the answer is yes, then you’ll probably benefit from getting 2.0 percent back on all of those Menards purchases. A 2.0 percent rebate is on par with many cashback credit cards. You’ll also benefit from the 1.0 percent rebate on gas.
Or perhaps you’ve got a major home improvement project you’d like to finance over a 48-month period. You could utilize the promotional financing period to spread out the repayment of such a purchase. These are all valid reasons for getting the Menards Big Card.
The downside to the Menards card, however, is that earning rewards is limited to purchases at Menards and a few gas station brands. Plus the rewards certificates you receive on a quarterly basis can only be used at Menards stores. Many cashback credit cards, on the other hand, reward all of your purchases and offer cash back that can be used toward any purchases.
The Menards card’s promotional financing can serve a valid purpose and save you money if you’re a prudent consumer. Financing a large purchase of $1,500 or greater over a 48-month period at a low 3.99% APR may seem like a deal, and it can be.
One downside, though, is that if you miss a scheduled minimum payment, you’ll be saddled with an APR of up to 29.24%. Plus, if you do not pay off your balance by the deadline, you’ll incur the 26.24% standard variable interest rate on your purchase from the date of purchase, which is certainly not a good value by any stretch.
If you’re considering the Menards Big Card because you shop there frequently, you might want to look at an alternative card, such as the Discover it Cash Back Match card that rewards all of your purchases. It will occasionally include home improvement stores as one of its quarterly rotating 5 percent cashback categories, too.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- You will receive 2.0 percent back on all Menards purchases unless you utilize promotional financing. Special Big Card sales events are also excluded from the rebate. You’ll also earn a 1.0 percent rebate on your purchases at affiliated gas stations.The rebate funds accumulate in your account and are issued to you four times a year. You must have at least $5 in accumulated rebates in order to receive the rebate funds. If you have less than $5 in your account, the funds roll over to the next period.The rebates are sent in the form of merchandise certificates that can be used only at Menards stores. There is no limit as to the amount of rebates you can earn.Menards also runs an in-store rebate program offering 1 to 11 percent back on certain items and brands. You will receive your 2 percent Big Card rebate in addition to the in-store rebates. You can sign up for a rebates newsletter that will inform you each week as to the new in-store rebate offerings.
- One of the desirable aspects of holding the Menards Big Card is the ability to make a large purchase and finance the repayment over time. Cardholders have access to three types of financing plans: the Waived Interest Charge credit plan, the Same-as-Cash monthly payment plan and the Reduced Rate credit plan.If your pre-tax purchase amount is $299 or larger, you can select financing for up to six months from the date of purchase. Interest is deferred during this period, and if the total is paid off by the deadline, interest is waived.If your pre-tax purchase is $1,500 or greater, you can finance your repayments over a 48-month period. The interest rate for the 48-month finance period is 3.99%.Minimum on time payments must be made on either of these financing options. If minimum payments are not made, or not made on time, penalty APRs can reach 28.99%. If you do not pay the entire balance by the end of the special financing period, variable standard 25.99% interest rates will be applied to the balance retroactive to the purchase date.
- In addition to earning a 2 percent rebate on your purchases at Menards stores, you can receive a 1 percent back on purchases at select gas stations. Participating stations include Speedway, Holiday, Kwik Trip and Kwik Star. This is a great benefit for a home improvement store credit card. Think about it—on a $3 gallon of gas, you’ll get a three cent rebate per gallon.Gas station rebates accumulate in your card account and are combined with Menards 2 percent rebates then issued quarterly to you in the form of Menards certificates once you have reached $5 or more in total rebates.
- Accessing your account online on a regular basis is a great way to make sure you manage your credit account wisely. Once you’re approved for the card, just go to the Menards Big Card online site and enroll in online customer care. You can pay your bill, set up automatic payments, view your statements, track recent transactions, download account documents and access your account history.Your online account helps you keep track of your promotional financed purchases to make sure that your payments are made on time and the balance is paid off by the deadline to avoid any finance charges or late fees.
Store-branded home improvement credit cards lack a lot of luster compared to many other rewards credit cards. You won’t find any lucrative sign-up bonuses or generous earning capabilities. However, if you’re a frequent hardware store shopper or getting ready for a major project, you may want the discounts and special financing that comes with some home improvement credit cards. While none of the options below have a sign-up bonus, and your purchases will be limited to the affiliated store, there may still be features and benefits that warrant carrying one of these in your wallet.
Compare Similar Store Cards
|Home Depot® Consumer Credit Card|
|Sign-up bonus||$0||$0||0 cashback|
|APR On Purchases||26.99% Variable±||26.24% Variable±||17.99% to 26.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$0||$240||$0|
The Menards Big Card and the Lowes Consumer credit card are both issued by Capital One. You might think their features and benefits would be similar, but the Lowes Consumer card offers a generous 5 percent discount on all of your purchases at checkout. This is as good as or better than some cashback credit cards. The Menards Big Card offers just 2.0 percent back, and the rewards are distributed on a quarterly basis.
Don’t stop there when comparing these cards. You’ll find that the Lowes 5 percent discount cannot be combined with other discounts, whereas Menards lets you combine the 2.0 percent rebate with its common 11 percent rebate on select in-store items, as well as with other discounts, such as the 1 percent discount on certain brands.
One benefit that often compels consumers to open home improvement card accounts is special financing for large purchases. While the Lowe’s Consumer credit card and the Menards Big Card both offer special promotional financing options, they also provide discounts and rebates.
The Home Depot credit card, on the other hand, does not offer either a discount or a rebate program. You do get special financing, though. On purchases of $299 or more, you’ll get up to six months of interest-free financing. Other cardholder financing options include a special 12-month repayment period for appliance purchases over $299.
The Menards Big Card can save you money if you frequently shop at Menards and purchasing gas at one of the participating gas stations, especially considering you can stack store discounts and other rebates for even bigger savings. However, a home improvement credit card such as the Menards Big Card cannot live up to the task of rewarding you for everyday purchases. You’ll need to supplement the card or consider getting just a cashback card to accomplish that.
Some Alternative Cards for Menards Shoppers
One nice benefit of the cashback credit cards listed below is that none of them charge an annual fee. The other great news is that these cards earn rewards on all purchases, not just purchases at specific stores. The other aspect with many of these cashback cards is that the earning structures are simple—you make a purchase, you receive cash back. If you’re considering the Menards Big Card, take a look at these alternative cashback cards that may offer overall better rewards earning and more flexibility at redemption time.
- Discover it® - Cashback Match™
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash Card
1% cash back on purchases and 1% as you pay for those purchasesRead Review
- Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards
$150 bonus offerRead Review
Best Rotating Category Card
The Discover it Cashback Match card offers 1 percent cash back on your purchases, but on your first card anniversary, Discover matches all the cashback you’ve earned throughout the year. So you’re essentially earning at a base rate of 2 percent back for the first 12 months.
You can also earn 5 percent cashback for certain featured categories of purchases that rotate every quarter. And sometimes they include home improvement stores like Menards. These rotating categories allow you to earn 5 percent back on up to $1,500 in purchases, which can work out to $300 a year.
It gets better, though, because these earnings are also matched at the end of your first year. That’s essentially a 10 percent return for select purchases. The Discover it card has no annual fee.
Best Cashback Card
The Citi Double Cash card is a great cashback card and deserves consideration by Menards customers. It has a simplified earning structure where you’ll earn 1 percent cash back when you make a purchase and another 1 percent back when you pay off your balance each month. Plus, you’ll still be able to take advantage of Menards in-store rebates and promotional offers while earning cash back.
The Citi Double Cash card has no special bonus categories or quarterly promotions to keep track of. It delivers simple earnings on every purchase. Unlike the Discover it card, which requires you to wait until the end of your first year to receive the additional cash back, Citi Double Cash delivers it each statement period. It’s also a no-fee card.
Best 0% APR Card
One reason you might be considering the Menards Big Card is to finance a big purchase. If this is the case, you may be better off with the no annual fee Capital One QuickSilver Rewards card instead. It offers a 0% APR for the first nine months for purchases. You can put all of your Menards purchases on the card and not pay interest for nine months.
You won’t be sacrificing earnings either as the QuickSilver Rewards card offers 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase. Remember, with the Menards Big Card you have to choose either the 2 percent rebate or special financing. The QuickSilver Rewards card offers both.
In addition, the QuickSilver Rewards card has a $150 sign-up bonus after spending just $500 in the first three months after card approval.
The Quicksilver card is a great alternative to the Menards Big Card since you’ll be able to finance those large purchases and receive cash back at the same time. You can still sign-up for Menards special sale newsletters and take advantage of in-store rebates if you don’t have the card.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Menards Big Card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Cash Advance Fee:
- See Terms and Conditions
Security and Protections
Manage your Menards Big Card account online by signing up for online customer care as soon as you get your card. Access your online account to monitor transactions and set up custom account alerts.
- Online Customer Care:
- Pay your bill, view your statement and transaction history, set up custom alerts and keep track of your financed purchases.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Menards Big Card is issued by Capital One, but since it is a store affiliated card, it does not offer any Visa, MasterCard or American Express cardholder benefits.