Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card
If you’re an avid Holland America cruiser, you should consider adding the Holland America Line Rewards Visa card to your wallet. Cardholders earn two points per dollar spent on Holland America purchases and one point per dollar for everything else.
While there are other rewards credit cards that are better for everyday earning, those who often vacation with Holland America will earn points quickly and benefit from redeeming points for discounted and free cruises.
You can jumpstart your earnings with a 5,000 points sign-up bonus after your first purchase and the chance to earn up to an additional 5,000 points for balance transfers. That’s up to $100 in bonuses, which isn’t bad for a card with no annual fee.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card offers and the value of the Barclays Holland America Line Rewards™ points you earn.
The initial sign-up bonus of 5,000 points, which you’ll get after your first purchase, equates to $50 in statement credits. Additional points, up to a maximum of 5,000, can be earned with balance transfers within the first 30 days from card approval. You’ll get one point for every dollar transferred during the promotional period. Although fees apply for balance transfers, cardholders still benefit with 15 statement periods of 0% APR on balances transferred within the first 45 days from card approval.
Points can be redeemed for statement credits towards qualifying purchases, including airfare, cruises and amenities. You can also use points to obtain discounts on cruises or even free cruises when you use your Holland America Line Rewards Visa card to book your vacation.
What You Get
- 5,000 points after your first purchase
- 15 months of 0% APR on balance made within the first 45 days
- Up to 5,000 bonus points for balance transfers made in the first 30 days
- 2 points per dollar for Holland America purchases
Points expire five years from the date they are earned. During that time, your points do not expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing.
What is the value of the Holland America Line Rewards™ Points?
Most redemptions will get you a value of one cent per point. Points can be redeemed with Holland America for a statement credits toward qualifying purchases or for discounts on cruises, onboard amenities, shore excursions, gift cards and more. You also have the option of redeeming points towards airfare, hotels and rental cars via the Loyalty Edge section of the Barclaycard website.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price by the number of points of an equivalent award costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPP:
The Best Ways to Redeem Holland America Points
The standard redemption value of Holland America points is one cent each. There is, however, a sweeter redemption option where you’ll experience considerably more value. When you redeem for Holland America cruises, you can receive up to 2.5 cents per point in value, depending on the price of the cruise.
For example, redeeming for a cruise with a value of $499.99 or less will equal a value of one cent per point toward a statement credit, but when redeeming for a cruise valued at $500 to $1,499.99, your points are worth 1.25 cents each.
The value of the points increases up to 2.5 cents each toward statement credits for a cruise purchase of $4,001 or more. If you’re planning to utilize your points for a discounted or free cruise on Holland America, you can maximize their value when spending $4,001 or more on your cruise purchase.
Popular Holland America Cruise Destinations
Seattle, Washington, US - Seattle, Washington, US7-Day Alaskan ExplorerMiles price117,050pointsDollars price$1,755
Boston, Massachusetts, US - Boston, Massachusetts, US7-Day BermudaMiles price114,228pointsDollars price$1,427
Vancouver, B.C., Canada - Seattle, Washington, US1-Day Pacific CoastalMiles price13,604pointsDollars price$136
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US - Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy14-Day Passage To RomeMiles price115,035pointsDollars price$1,725
Tampa, Florida, US - Rotterdam, The Netherlands15-Day Azores & Normandy ExpeditionMiles price123,174pointsDollars price$1,847
San Diego, California, US - Callao (Lima), Peru14-Day Incan EmpiresMiles price131,236pointsDollars price$1,968
Other ways you can redeem points
Points can be redeemed for hotel stays via the Loyalty Edge rewards section of the Barclaycard website or by calling the customer service number on the back of the card.
Points can be redeemed for car rentals via the Loyalty Edge rewards section of the Barclaycard website or by calling the customer service number on the back of the card.
Points can be redeemed for gift cards and merchandise via the Loyalty Edge rewards section of the Barclaycard website or by calling the customer service number on the back on the card.
You can redeem points for statement credits toward qualifying purchases. There is no option for cash back.
Everyday Earnings with Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card
The Holland America Line Rewards Visa card earns two points for Holland America purchases and one point per dollar for all other purchases. Since there are other credit cards that offer higher earnings on everyday purchases, the better use of your card is for purchases made directly from Holland America.
- Car Rental
- Holland America purchases
- All Other Purchases
Purchases made from Holland America, including online and onboard purchases, earn two points per dollar spent.
The Holland America Line Rewards Visa card comes with Visa Signature level travel benefits.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
You’ll save on expenditures abroad because there is no transaction fee added to your purchase, ever.
Visa Concierge Service
Receive assistance with restaurant reservations, recommendations and traveling planning.
Receive invitations to exclusive events and enjoy perks at Luxury Hotel Collections properties.
Fees: the cost of Having Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card
Since there is no annual fee for the Holland America Line Rewards Visa card, you’ll not have to spend a dime to cover any cost of keeping the card. In addition, you’ll be receiving 5,000 points after making your first purchase, which is a value of at least $50.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37 Variable±
Let’s see what your first-year earnings and savings will be. Then calculate the second-year savings to see if you can keep the earning power and it will be worth keeping the card a er signup bonus is no longer available. This simple calculation can show if the card is worth your attention or you can skip this offer and find another one.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card
Holland America Cruise Line lovers will enjoy earning discounts, statement credits and free cruises with the Holland America Line Rewards Visa. Jumpstart your earnings with sign-up and balance transfer bonuses, and keep the card for the long run as it has no annual fee.
- Nice Sign-up Bonus: Earn 5,000 points worth $50 after your first purchase on the card.
- Bonus Points for Balance Transfers: Earn up to 5,000 additional bonus points for balance transfers made within the first 30 days of card opening. Transfer fees still apply.
- Interest-Free Balance Transfer Period: Transfer balances from your high interest credit cards and receive 15 months of 0% APR.
- Earn Free Cruises and More: Redeem your points for Holland America cruise packages, onboard services and amenities, such as cooking classes, shore excursions and spa treatments.
- No Annual Fee: Keep the card for the long term since there is no an annual fee.
Should You Get the Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card?
If you’re an avid cruiser on Holland America and desire the ability to earn a discounted or free trips, the Holland American Line Rewards Visa card is a good option. You can also reap the benefits of developing a long credit history with the card as you’ll never have to pay an annual fee to keep it.
If transferring a balance is important to you, you’ll find value in the Holland America card’s introductory 0% APR offer, which gives you 15 months of interest-free financing on balances transferred within the first 45 days of being a card member. Note that transfer fees apply.
There are plenty of credit cards that allow you to purchase cruises with points, and some earn more than one point per dollar on everyday purchases. However, if you’re a Holland America frequent cruiser, you’ll earn two points per dollar for your expenditures on the cruise line, so the rewards could add up quickly.
When it comes time to redeem your accumulated points, you’ll reap the most value when your cruise purchase is $4,001 or more. Your points can be worth as much as 2.5 cents each. You shouldn’t consider this card If you’re not a frequent Holland America cruiser.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- The Holland America Line Rewards Visa offers cardholders the opportunity to transfer balances from your other credit cards. You’ll pay fees for any balance transfers to this card at the rate of $5 or 3 percent of the balance transferred, whichever is greater.Interest is normally charged on these transferred balances at the same annual percentage rate that is charged on any monthly unpaid card balance. However, for the first 45 days after you are approved for the card, you can transfer balances from your other credit cards and no interest will be charged for a period of 15 months after the date of each transfer.After 15 statement periods, you will be charged the APR rate applicable to the card at that time. For example, if you transferred a $3,000 balance from another credit card, you would pay a $90 (3 percent) transfer fee, but you would not be charged interest on that amount for 15 statement periods.Balance transfers made within the first 30 days of account approval will earn one bonus point per dollar, up to a maximum of 5,000 points.
- Points in your account will expire if they are not redeemed within five years. During that period, points will not expire as long as your account is open, active and remains in good standing. Inactivity is defined as no balance, no payments and no transactions for a period of seven billing cycles in a row.If you fail to make your minimum payment by the due date, or become delinquent, you will not be able to earn or redeem points in that corresponding month. If your account is closed, either by you or Barclaycard, the points will be forfeited.
- While the best value for your points is to redeem them for Holland America cruises, points earned on your card can be redeemed for statement credits toward purchases on other cruise lines, including Carnival, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises, The Yachts of Seabourn, P & O Cruises Australia, Ibero and Aida.Points can also be redeemed for discounts on cruises, onboard purchases, shore excursions, spa experiences and other amenities. You can also redeem points toward airline purchases posted to the account within the prior 180 days.There is a minimum redemption value of $50, which is 5,000 points. Additional travel redemptions, such as airfare, hotel and car rentals, are available using the Loyalty Edge rewards center from Barclaycard. In addition, points can be redeemed for various gift cards, gift certificates and merchandise.
Other Barclays Co-Branded Rewards cards
The Barclaycards below all offer members access to free financial tools and the benefit of being able to view their FICO credit scores for free. All have zero fraud liability, concierge services and travel benefits. They are also all rewards cards that earn one point per dollar spent on everyday purchases and have no annual fee.
All of these cards are issued by Barlcays, but each caters to a specific cardholder profile. The Priceline Rewards Visa offers the greatest flexibility because points can be redeemed for 1.5 cents each toward any travel purchased on Priceline, including cruises. This translates to a value of $75 for the 5,000 points sign-up bonus when redeemed on Priceline.com.
The card offers a 10 percent rebate for Priceline redemptions and has the highest earning rate of five points per dollar spent on Priceline.com. If you spend a lot on Priceline and want to redeem your points on Priceline, you’ll do well with this card.
The Carnival World MasterCard offers a 10,000 points sign-up bonus, the highest of the three, but the card only makes sense if you’re spending and redeeming on Carnival Cruise Lines. You’ll get two points per dollar with Carnival and just one point per dollar for all other purchases. With redemption values that start at .8 cents per point and max out at 1.6 cents per point, you could do better with other cards out there.
The Holland America cruiser can still find good value in the Holland American Rewards card, which also earns two points for every dollar spent on the cruise line. While the sign-up bonus is just 5,000 points, an additional 5,000 points can be earned with balance transfers in the first 30 days as a card member. If you redeem for a cruise worth $4,001 or more, the total 10,000 bonus points will result in a $250 discount or 2.5 cents per point, the greatest value of all three of these cards.
Compare Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card to Other Cards
All of the co-branded cards below earn two points per dollar with their respective cruise lines and one point per dollar for all other purchases. When it comes to redemption, you’ll also find similar values of one cent per point when redeeming, no matter your card choice. All of the come with no annual fee.
One clear disadvantage of the Norwegian Cruise Line World MasterCard is that it charges foreign transaction fees, while all the other cards compared do not. If you’re selecting a co-branded cruise line credit card, you’d want one you can use abroad without fees.
When you look at sign-up bonuses, three of the cards are offering 10,000 points, and the Holland American Line Visa offers only 5,000. However, if you transfer a balance from another credit card within the first 30 days of having the Holland America card, you can earn up to an additional 5,000 points.
Comparing the value of points at redemption time, all cards offer at least one cent per point if you use them for onboard spending and cruise discounts. Additionally, all of the cards have specific redemptions where you can earn up to two cents per point. The Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card offers a slight advantage of up to 2.5 cents per point when redeeming on cruises that cost $4,001 or more.
The bottom line for securing any co-branded cruise line credit card is getting the card that corresponds to the cruise line you’ll frequent. You’ll also want to make sure you have plans to utilize your accumulated points before they expire in five years.
In general, co-branded cruise line credit cards offer less overall value than other travel credit cards out there, but they can be useful if you cruise often.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Holland America Line Rewards Visa card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa Signature card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Ongoing APR:
- 14.99% to 24.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- For eligible warranties that are less than 3 years in length, an extra year of coverage is provided.
- Purchase Protection:
- Your eligible purchases are covered for theft, fire and vandalism for up to 90 days and up to $500 per item.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
You’ll have peace of mind knowing your account is being monitored for suspicious transactions and the confidence that your card will be accepted anywhere chip technology terminals are used.
- Fraud Notification:
- Receive automatic fraud alerts when there is suspicious activity on your account.
- Chip Technology:
- Chip card technology ensures security and acceptance at chip card terminals throughout the U.S. and abroad.
- Custom Account Alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified for criteria such as when payment is due, large transactions or when you’re approaching your credit card limit.
The Barclaycard mobile banking app keeps track of your Holland America Line Rewards Visa account on your smart phone. Mobile banking is an easy way to check transactions, set alerts, make payments on the card, and monitor your account securely while traveling.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Holland America Line Rewards card offers premium Visa Signature level cardholder benefits, including rental car coverage, roadside assistance referral services and emergency travel services.
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Decline the rental company’s insurance and receive theft and collision coverage for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance in the U.S.
- Roadside Assistance:
- Referral services can help you obtain lockout service, towing, jumpstart and gas delivery. Service fees apply.
- Lost Luggage Replacement:
- When traveling on a common carrier, checked or carry-on baggage is covered against loss or theft.
- Travel and Emergency Services:
- Assistance and referrals for arranging emergency transport, sending messages and replacing tickets.