Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card
Free checked bags on just two round-trip flights can save you more than the cost of the card’s annual fee. And that’s without even spending a dime! That benefit alone can make this card a keeper.
On top of that, you’ll get a solid 50,000 -mile sign-up bonus, which can be worth $450 or more in Delta flights, plus a $50 statement credit if you make a Delta purchase within three months of getting the card. That’s a lot of value for a card with an annual fee of just $95 , which is waived for the first year.
Bonuses & Benefits of Delta Amex Cards
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card offers and the value of the AMEX SkyMiles® miles you earn.
The current sign-up bonus offered by the
What You Get
- Earn 50,000 miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after you make an additional $1,000 in purchases within your first 6 months
- $ 50 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first 3 months
- Free checked bags and priority boarding
- Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) requirement waiver after spending $25,000 in a year
- 2 miles per dollar spent with Delta
Delta SkyMiles do not expire even if you don’t have activity in your account. Rest assured that your miles will be waiting for you whenever you are ready to use them.
What is the value of the SkyMiles® Miles?
Delta SkyMiles aren’t known to be the most valuable frequent flyer miles out there. Nevertheless, it’s possible to get good value for the right redemption. As a general rule, we like to try to get at least 1.5 cents in value out of every mile, which should be possible even for domestic economy flights. Business class and international flights often offer the best value. Every time you consider redeeming miles, you should compare the mileage price to the cash price of the ticket to make sure you are getting a good deal.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket (minus taxes and fees charged for an award ticket) by the number of miles the award flight costs. This is a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the flight in both cash and miles fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPM:
The Best Ways to Redeem SkyMiles Miles
Los Angeles–AustinEconomy classMiles price23,000miles+$47.4 feeDollars price$299
Honolulu–Los AngelesEconomy classMiles price45,000miles+$46.62 feeDollars price$771
Daytona Beach–AtlantaEconomy classMiles price19,000miles+$43.06 feeDollars price$238
Atlanta–ReykjavikEconomy classMiles price112,500miles+$59.76 feeDollars price$1,047
Houston–NassauEconomy classMiles price35,000miles+$107.16 feeDollars price$535
San Francisco–TokyoEconomy classMiles price70,000miles+$50.66 feeDollars price$1,550
Los Angeles–NashvilleBusiness classMiles price90,000miles+$11.2 feeDollars price$1,134
Fort Lauderdale–BostonBusiness classMiles price50,000miles+$11.2 feeDollars price$688
Washington–ChicagoBusiness classMiles price25,000miles+$5.6 feeDollars price$695
New York–ParisBusiness classMiles price312,500miles+$128.16 feeDollars price$7,279
New York–Tel AvivBusiness classMiles price302,500miles+$770.38 feeDollars price$4,550
Philadelphia–MadridBusiness classMiles price207,500miles+$102.16 feeDollars price$5,647
Other ways you can redeem miles
Hotel Stays22 partners22 part.
You can earn additional Delta SkyMiles by booking stays with Delta’s hotel/lodging partners like Airbnb, Starwood Hotels, Hilton and more.
While you can’t redeem SkyMiles for cash back in your bank account, you can redeem SkyMiles at a rate of one cent each toward your flights. That means that 5,000 SkyMiles will work out to being $50 in cash toward your flight booking.
Car Rental9 partners9 part.
You can earn additional Delta SkyMiles by booking car rentals with Delta’s car rental partners, including Alamo, Hertz and more.
Gift Cards34 partners34 part.
You can redeem Delta SkyMiles for gift cards, but it’s rarely a good idea to do so considering the low redemption value.
Everyday Earnings with Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card
The Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card isn’t the best option available for everyday earning. You will only earn two SkyMiles per dollar spent on purchases with Delta Air Lines and one mile per dollar for all other purchases. There are no other bonus categories for this card, which doesn’t make it a good option for an everyday spending credit card.
- Car Rental
- Deltta Air Lines Purchases
- All Other Purchases
Free Checked Bag
First checked bag is free for the primary cardholder and up to eight companions traveling on the same reservation.
In Flight Savings:
20% savings for purchases made onboard Delta flights.
Reduced $29 fee to visit SkyClub lounges for the cardholder and up to two guests.
Early boarding for the primary cardholder and up to eight companions traveling on the same reservation.
No Foreign Transaction Fee:
You won’t be charged a fee when making purchases abroad.
Earn Elite Status Fast
Every year you spend $25,000 or more on your Delta Gold SkyMiles Business card,
you’ll receive a
It is not possible to earn Medallion Qualification Miles with your Gold Delta SkyMiles business card.
- Receive a Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) requirement waiver after spending $25,000 in a year
Fees: the cost of Having Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card
The annual fee on the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card is waived the first year, so you don’t need to spend anything to cover the annual fee. In fact, if you earn the sign-up bonus of 50,000 SkyMiles, you’ll have come out way ahead!
- Annual Fee
$0 first year, then $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $38
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $2,112 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business credit card. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the
Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card
Even though the
- Free Checked Bags: With this card, you and up to eight companions traveling on the same reservation can save $50 in bag fees per round-trip flight.
- 50,000-Mile Sign-Up Bonus: When you sign up for the card, you’ll get 50,000 Delta SkyMiles after spending only $2,000 within your first three months as a cardholder.
- Priority Boarding: Even if you don’t have status with Delta, you can still board before everyone else.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: The Gold Delta Business card is a good one to travel with because you won’t be charged foreign transaction fees.
- MQD Waiver: If you spend at least $25,000 on your card within a calendar year, the Medallion Qualification Dollar requirement for elite status will be waived.
Should You Get the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card?
As mentioned above, the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card isn’t the best option for everyday spending. Nevertheless, it does have some nice benefits that will primarily benefit two types of people.
One type of person that will benefit from this card is someone that flies Delta occasionally, but doesn’t have elite status. With the Gold SkyMiles Business card, even those without status will still get free checked bags and priority boarding for themselves and up to eight companions traveling on the same reservation. This offers a savings of up to $50 per person per round-trip flight and can easily pay for the annual fee in just one trip!
The other type of person that will benefit from this card is someone who would qualify for Delta Medallion status based on miles or segments, but doesn’t spend enough money to hit the Medallion Qualification Dollar requirement. As long as you have the ability to spend $25,000 on your card within the calendar year, the MQD requirement will be waived and you can still qualify for status!
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Most people who are approved report having a credit score of at least 720. Of course, American Express will approve or deny applicants based on their full application.
- The Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card doesn’t offer the ability to earn Medallion Qualification Miles, but it does give you the ability to waive the Medallion Qualification Dollar requirement if you spend at least $25,000 on the card within a calendar year. If you’re interested in earning MQMs, you should look into the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card or Delta Reserve Credit Card version of the Delta credit card.
- No, the Gold Delta card does not have an annual companion pass. If you’re interested in receiving a companion pass, you should look into the Platinum or Reserve version of the Delta credit card.
Yes, you can upgrade your card and you’ll get all of the benefits of the upgraded card except for the sign-up bonus. It’s better to apply for the new card separately so you can earn the bonus.
Compare Delta Amex Cards
In addition to the Gold SkyMiles Business card, Delta also offers a personal version of the same card and two other business card options: the Delta Reserve and Delta Platinum Business cards. All four card options allow the cardholder to earn Delta miles and get a free checked bag. The Delta Platinum and Reserve Business cards offer more benefits then the Gold cards.
Other Delta Amex Cards
|Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card||Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card||Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card|
|Sign-up bonus||40,000 miles||50,000 miles||70,000 miles||50,000 miles|
$0 first year, then $95
$0 first year, $95 after that
|APR On Purchases||16.49% to 20.49% Variable±||16.49% to 20.49% Variable±||16.49% to 20.49% Variable±||16.99% to 25.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$360||$360||$360||$360|
The personal version of the Gold Delta SkyMiles card offers a 50,000 -mile sign-up bonus and has a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year. The Platinum Business card offers 70,000 SkyMiles and has a $195 annual fee. The Delta Reserve Business card has a 40,000 -mile sign-up bonus and a $195 annual fee.
In addition to the checked bag and priority boarding benefits, both the Platinum and Reserve business cards give the cardholder the ability to earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) when signing up for the card and on an ongoing basis. Both premium cards also offer an annual companion airfare certificate that allows the cardholder to purchase one ticket and have a companion fly for only the cost of taxes. The Platinum and Reserve cards would be better choices for a serious Delta flyer, while the Gold business and personal cards are good for the occasional Delta customer.
Compare Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card to Other Cards
In addition to comparing the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card to other Delta cards, you should also consider other co-branded airline cards for small business owners, including United MileagePlus Explorer, Alaska Airlines Visa and AAdvantage Platinum Select. All of these cards have annual fees under $100 and offer a free checked bag benefit and priority boarding with their respective airlines.
- Chase United MileagePlus® Explorer Business Card
50,000 miles offerRead Review
- Alaska Airlines Visa® Business Card
30,000 miles offerRead Review
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®
60,000 miles offerRead Review
Since these cards all earn different airline miles, they can also be redeemed for flights on totally different partners. For example, if you live in a city with few flights offered by United and its partners, the MileagePlus card won’t be particularly useful!
Other than that, the biggest differences you’ll see between these cards are their sign-up bonuses. For sign-up bonuses, the United MileagePlus card offers 50,000 miles, the Alaska Airlines card offers 30,000 miles and the AAdvantage card offers 60,000 miles.
Each card earns one mile per dollar spent for most purchases but gives a bonus for purchases made with the co-branded airline. If you’re looking for a basic airline card to get you a free checked bag and priority boarding, getting a card that’s co-branded with the airline that you fly the most makes the most sense!
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Amex card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 16.49% to 20.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- The terms of the original manufacturer’s warranty can be extended up to one additional year. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less.
- Purchase Protection:
- Use your card and your purchases can be protected from accidental damage or theft for up to 90 days and up to $1,000 per occurance.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.49% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Amex Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card offers standard security and protection, including EMV Chip + Signature technology, a mobile app and expense management tools to help you track and organize expenses.
- Account alerts:
- Helps you avoid late payments, notifies you of irregular activity and monitors employee card spending.
- Mobile Banking App:
- Track your account with the mobile app while you’re on the go.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip enabled terminals.
American Express offers a mobile banking app so you can monitor your spending and account activity. The Gold Delta SkyMiles Business card is also compatible with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
American Express Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- Get reimbursed for damaged or lost bags up to $1,250 for carry on bags and $500 for checked bags. Coverage includes cardholder and immediate family members on the same itinerary.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $100,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your card.