Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®
If you’re located in Denver or the Midwest and use Frontier Airlines as your main carrier, then the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard issued by Barclays might be for you.
Frontier’s redemptions start at 20,000 miles per roundtrip, so the 40,000 miles sign-up bonus that comes with this card can be used for two domestic round-trip flights. That’s two free flights for the annual fee of $69. Unfortunately, the sign-up bonus is the biggest draw of this card.
The earning rates aren’t great, and the card doesn’t offer a free checked bag, which many co-branded airline cards do. Remember that Frontier charges for both checked and carry-on luggage unless you have status, so this is a major drawback.
The Frontier credit card does carry a lower annual fee than most airline cards, and it has a sizeable sign- up bonus. Those features make this card a decent choice if you’re a frequent Frontier flyer.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard® offers and the value of the Barclays miles you earn.
The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard is offering 40,000 miles to cardholders who spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 days of account opening. Additionally, cardholders who spend at least $2,500 in a year will receive an account anniversary bonus in the form of a $100 flight discount voucher. The voucher expires 180 days after being issued, so make sure you have a use for it. Card members also have access to their FICO score at no additional cost.
What You Get
- Earn 40,000 points after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Every year you have the card you’ll get a $100 flight discount voucher if you spend at least $2,500
- Get 2 miles per dollar spent with Frontier
- Receive an Award Redemption Fee Waiver and never pay to book award flights
Frontier miles do not expire as long as you use your credit card or take a flight every six months. It’s also possible to earn points by renting a car with one of the car rental partners or booking a stay with hotel partners.
The Value of Frontier EarlyReturns Miles
The value of your Frontier EarlyReturns miles will vary from flight to flight. Redemptions start at 20,000 miles for a round-trip flight and go up in increments of 10,000 miles per leg, depending on the route. For example, a roundtrip between Salt Lake City and Denver can be booked for 20,000 miles, or $128 if paid with cash. In this case, a mile is worth 0.64 cents, which isn’t great. In another example, a flight between Salt Lake City and Chicago requires 40,000 miles, or $375. In this case, the value goes up to 0.94 cents per mile. If you’re plans are flexible, I recommend playing around with dates and routes in order to find the best bang for your miles.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket (minus taxes and fees charged for an award ticket) by the number of miles the award flight costs. This is a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the flight in both cash and miles fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPM:
The final result:???cpm
The Best Ways to Redeem Frontier Miles
Because Frontier has no airline partners, the best way to redeem EarlyReturns miles is for Frontier flights. The 40,000-mile sign-up bonus can get you two round-trip flights, which means you can bring a companion with you on a trip. Most domestic airlines require 25,000 miles for a domestic round-trip flight, so booking two flights with Frontier will save you 10,000 miles when compared to most other frequent-flyer programs. Redemption rates vary, so not every route will require the minimum number of miles, but low-level redemptions are usually easy to find. The best value is in booking flights that require 20,000 miles but cost more than $200 when paid for in cash.
Miles price20,000miles+$11.2 fee
Las Vegas–HoustonEconomy class
Miles price30,000miles+$74.95 fee
Miles price20,000miles+$11.2 fee
Miles price30,000miles+$158.0 fee
Philadelphia–Punta CanaEconomy class
Miles price50,000miles+$183.16 fee
Orlando–San JuanEconomy class
Miles price40,000miles+$94.2 fee
Other ways you can redeem miles
Hotel Stays5 partners5 part.
EarlyReturns miles can be transferred to the program’s five hotel partners, including Hilton, Marriott and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group.
Car Rental5 partners5 part.
Frontier flyers can redeem their EarlyReturns miles for car rentals with Hertz, Avis, Budget and more, but the rates aren’t the best.
Frontier Airlines World MasterCard earns two miles per dollar spent directly with FlyFrontier.com and one mile per dollar for all other purchases, which is pretty standard for most co-branded airline credit cards. There’s no limit to how many points you can earn, and the points do not expire as long as there is a qualifying activity on the Frontier MasterCard at least once every six months.
Your Monthly Charges
Rewards You Will Earn Annually24,100miles$362in dollar value
- Frontier Airlines purchases
- All Other Purchases
Award Redemption Fee Waiver
Unless you have elite status, Frontier charges close-in award ticketing fees as early as 180 days before your flight. The fees go up the closer you are to your departure and can be as high as $75 for booking within eight days of departure. The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard waives those fees and saves you money if you book EarlyReturns awards fewer than 180 days before departure.
Foreign Transaction Fee
There’s a 3% fee for each transaction made outside of the U.S.
Earn Elite Status Fast
Though the Frontier MasterCard does not help you become an elite, status isn’t hard earn. EarlyReturns members can reach elite status by flying at least 20,000 miles or 25 segments with Frontier Airlines within a 12-month rolling period. Once you qualify, you can enjoy elite status for 365 days. Elite flyers receive Zone 1 boarding, one free carry-on bag, advance seat assignment, stretch seating when available, waived fees and last seat availability.
Fees: the cost of Having the Card
Frontier Airlines World MasterCard charges an annual fee of $69 , which is not waived for the first year. If you value EarlyReturns miles at 1.5 cents each, you’ll have to spend at least $4,600 per year on the Frontier card to cover the annual fee. Depending on how the value you get for EarlyReturns miles, your results may vary.
- Annual Fee:
- Balance Transfer Fee:
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee:
- 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Fee:
- Up to $37 Variable±
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
Your Average Monthly Spend
Months to Cover Annual Fee
Get anniversary bonus: 100 miles
You will receive 100 bonus points each anniversary year – enough to cover more than a half of the annual fee.
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $1,534 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Foreign Transaction Fees-$0
Rewards Earned First Year$891
Foreign Transaction Fees-$0
Rewards Earned Second Year$293
Top 5 Benefits of the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard®
Although the Frontier rewards card is not the most enticing co-branded airline credit card on the market, it offers several great benefits. Below are the top perks that come with card membership.
- Great Sign-Up Bonus: For an airline card, 40,000 bonus miles is a solid sign-up bonus, especially when considering you have to spend just $500 in 3 days to earn it.
- $100 Flight Discount Voucher: Each card membership year you spend at least $2,500 on the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard, you earn a Frontier Airlines discount voucher worth $100. This perk alone can justify the annual fee every year.
- Award Redemption Fee Waiver: If you book your EarlyReturns award within 180 days of departure, close-in award ticketing fees apply. However, using the card to pay the taxes on award tickets waives the award redemption fees.
- Miles Don’t Expire: EarlyReturns miles do not expire with qualifying activity every six months, which means that carrying the card in your wallet and using it to accumulate miles every month extends their shelf life indefinitely.
- No Earnings Cap: Frontier Airlines World MasterCard does not impose limits on the number of miles card members can earn.
Should You Get the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard?
If you’re an active member of the EarlyReturns frequent flyer program and live in one of Frontier’s focus cities, such as Denver, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Orlando, Philadelphia or Chicago, then Barclays Frontier card could make sense for you. The earning rate is not the best, but it’s on par with other airline credit cards. The Frontier card comes with a solid sign-up bonus of 40,000 miles and low minimum-spending requirements. Additionally, Frontier has some cheap redemptions, and the welcome bonus can be used for two domestic round-trip tickets.
If you don’t mind flying with low-cost carriers like Frontier, then you might benefit from this credit card. Unfortunately, Frontier’s destination network is not as extensive as other airlines’, so this might not be the best choice if you live outside its main routes or if you’re planning for international travel.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
Foreign transaction fees can vary between one percent and three percent per transaction, depending on the card issuer and the card network. Unfortunately, the Frontier Airlines card charges an additional three percent for each transaction made outside of the United States.
Foreign transaction fees might not be a big deal for someone who prefers domestic travel and doesn’t go overseas very often. However, if you travel internationally for business or for personal reasons, the fees add up quickly, and this card might not be the best option for you.
EarlyReturns miles expire after six consecutive months of account inactivity. However, using the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard for at least one purchase every six months counts as qualifying activity, which will keep your miles alive for another 180 days.
Flying with Frontier and redeeming or earning miles with car rental or hotel partners also counts as qualifying activity and allows you to keep your miles from expiring. Compared to other airline programs that allow a more generous window of 18 to 24 months to earn or redeem miles, Frontier’s rules are quite strict.
Frontier Airlines is a low cost carrier that charges its passengers for virtually everything: carry-on luggage, checked bags, seat selection, on-board meals, etc. In many cases, a carry-on bag costs even more than a checked bag, typically in the $30 to $35 range.
Unfortunately, holding the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard does not waive carry-on or checked baggage fees. The only way to avoid paying for bags is by having elite status with Frontier. On the other hand, other co-branded airline cards that offer free bags usually charge a higher annual fee of $95 or more.
Other Frontier cards
Barclays offers two co-branded Frontier Airlines cards: the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard and the Frontier Airlines credit card with No Annual Fee. As the name implies, the main difference is that the latter card does not charge an annual fee.
|10,000 miles||40,000 miles|
APR On Purchases
|16.99% to 25.99% Variable±||16.99% to 25.99% Variable±|
Second Year Value
The no annual fee Frontier card comes with a significantly smaller sign-up bonus of 10,000 miles after the first purchase and a less rewarding earning structure. The card earns one mile per dollar spent directly with Frontier Airlines and one mile per $2 spent on all other purchases. Clearly, the no-fee card pales in comparison to the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard.
If you’re a frequent Frontier flyer, then the big-boy version of this card makes more sense, even with the annual fee of $69. But if you do not fly Frontier that much, then perhaps another no-fee travel rewards card, such as VentureOne from Capital One or Discover it Miles, might be a better fit.
Compare Frontier Airlines World MasterCard® to Other Cards
Frontier Airlines World MasterCard is an OK choice when it comes to co-branded airline rewards cards. However, a couple of other cards from low cost carriers might fit your travel needs better.
Spirit Airlines is another budget carrier that offers a co-branded credit card. The Spirit Airlines World MasterCard from Bank of America offers 5,000 bonus miles after the first purchase. The card waives the annual fee of $59 for the first year and offers preferred boarding as one of its benefits. This card might benefit fliers who travel in the off-season, but it’s nothing special.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus credit card from Chase offers new cardholders 60,000 Rapid Rewards points, earns two points per dollar spent with Southwest and comes with a $69 annual fee. Although the rewards earning scheme is the same as many other airline cards, Southwest offers its members two free bags on each flight, and redemptions are based on the cash price of a ticket. That means that shopping Southwest sales will yield the most value.
The Capital One Venture Rewards credit card is a cashback rewards card whose miles can offset any travel costs. The card offers a welcome bonus of 40,000 miles and earns two miles per dollar spent on every purchase. The annual fee of $59 is waived for the first year. This card is competitive in the points and miles world because of its simplicity and the ease with which you can earn and redeem points.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Excellent credit score
IssuerBarclays Bank Delaware
Pay with pointsNo
Available airlineFrontier Airlines
Flights TypeDomestic and International
AllianceNot a member
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 16.99% to 25.99% Variable±
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Doubles the original warranty provided by the manufacturer (not to exceed 12 months) for a new item. Coverage is limited to $10,000.
- Price Protection:
- Guarantees the best price on products purchased by providing a refund for the difference if a lower price is found.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard comes with EMV chip technology and access to a free FICO score. Also, the card offers a zero liability benefit to cardholders who want to be protected against unauthorized charges.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Reports:
- Monitor your credit history for unusual activity, including recently opened accounts and inquiries made on your history.
Barclaycard participates in Apple Pay, which is available with MasterCard and Visa. The feature allows card members to pay for purchases by simply tapping their Apple device at participating merchants.
- Barclaycard Mobile App:
- Wherever you are, you can use the mobile banking app to monitor your account.
- Digital Wallet:
- Compatible with Apple Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
As a World MasterCard, the Frontier credit card comes with several additional benefits that can be useful to travelers.
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Barclays offers secondary coverage of a rental car in the case of theft or damage. The primary cardholder and additional drivers are covered when the auto rental company’s collision damage waiver is declined. Be sure to pay for the rental with your Frontier MasterCard.
- Baggage Delay Insurance:
- In the event of baggage delay of six hours or longer, cardholders are eligible for reimbursement for some expenses, such as toiletries and clothing. Coverage is limited to $100 a day for three days (up to $300 annually).
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- Customers can get up to $3,000 per passenger for damaged or lost bags. Coverage includes the cardholder and immediate family members on the same travel itinerary.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption:
- Trip cancellation or interruption may include reasons such as death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness. Cardholders can receive up to $1,500 for them and immediate family members.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your Frontier Airlines World MasterCard card.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- When you’re 100 miles or more away from home, travel assistant services may provide information on travel requirements, emergency cash transfers and medical and legal assistance.
- Master RoadAssist Service:
- Call 1-800- MC-ASSIST (62-277478) for roadside assistance in the 50 United States or District of Columbia. Services include lockout service, towing, jump-start and gasoline delivery. Charges may apply.