- for Fred Meyer Customers71
- for Cash Rewards70
- for Everyday Use60
Fred Meyer Rewards® World Mastercard® Credit Card
Points can only be redeemed in increments of 500, and any leftover points will expire at the end of the quarter in which they are earned. Considering this, you will likely not earn the full 2 percent back on purchases at Fred Meyer stores. Likewise, you are unlikely to earn the full 1 percent cash back on purchases made at other locations.
There are other cards available that offer as good or better cash back at grocery stores and for other purchases, so it’s definitely worthwhile to see what other options are available before you apply for the Fred Meyer Rewards credit card.
Features and Benefits of Fred Meyer Credit Card
With the Fred Meyer Rewards credit card, you can earn rewards anywhere that MasterCard is accepted. The card earns 2 points per dollar spent on everything at Fred Meyer stores and 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
When you earn 500 Rewards points in a quarter, you’ll get a $5 Rewards Rebate certificate that can be spent a Fred Meyer stores. Points can only be redeemed in increments of 500, so any points that do not fit in those increments will expire at the end of the quarter in which they are earned. Considering this, it is likely that you will have points expire at the end of every quarter, which makes this card less valuable.
Additionally, you can save up to $1.25 a gallon at Fred Meyer Fuel Centers for a whole year when you redeem 1,000 fuel points and you scan and pay for your fuel purchase with your Fred Meyer Rewards credit card.
The Fred Meyer Rewards MasterCard credit card doesn’t have an annual fee.
What You Get
- 2 points per dollar at Fred Meyer
- No annual fee
- Up to a $1.25 discount per gallon at Fred Meyer Fuel Centers
You’ll get a promotional 0% APR for nine months for both purchases and balance transfers.
The Fred Meyer Rewards credit card offers access to the Fred Meyer Rewards program. You can redeem points earned through the rewards program for Rewards Rebates that can be used at Fred Meyer Stores. Additionally, you can redeem your fuel rewards points for discounts at Fred Meyer Fuel Centers.
What is the Value of Fred Meyer Rewards Points
The Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card offers two points per dollar spent on purchases at Fred Meyer stores and one point per dollar spent on all other purchases. Every quarter, 500 points can be redeemed for a $5 Rewards Rebate that can be spent at Fred Meyer stores.
One of the biggest downsides to Fred Meyer Rewards is that it isn’t easy to understand how much you’re getting back. Basically, you’re earning 2 percent back on purchases made at Fred Meyer stores and 1 percent back on all other purchases.
Overall, this card isn’t a bad option, especially for purchases made at Fred Meyer stores, but there are plenty of other cards available that offer as good or better cash back on most or all purchases. We will go into more detail about some of those cards below.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
We use the following formula to calculate the CPP:
Should You Get the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard Credit Card?
The Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card isn’t the worst option out there, but it’s definitely not the best. The card essentially offers up to 2 percent cash back on purchases at Fred Meyer stores and up to 1 percent cash back on all other purchases. However, it is likely that your cashback rates will be somewhat lower than this because any points that can’t be redeemed in increments of 500 will expire at the end of each quarter.
While 2 percent back on grocery store purchases isn’t bad, there are plenty of other cards out there that offer 2 percent back on all purchases or higher returns on grocery store purchases. For this reason, it will probably make more sense to get a straight cashback card instead of the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card. We will go into more details about some other credit cards later in this article.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
Can I get the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card if I don’t already have a Fred Meyer Rewards program number?Yes, you do not need to be a Fred Meyer Rewards member in order to get the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card. If you don’t have a rewards number when you apply for your new card, a number will be automatically assigned to you.
- There is no cap to the number of points you can earn with your Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card.
- You can view your total number of points on the Fred Meyer website or on your most recent Fred Meyer cash register receipt.
- Fred Meyer Rewards Rebates are mailed out to customers automatically four times per year during February, May, August and November. Your account must be open and in good standing to receive Rewards Rebates.
- Rewards Points are set to zero at the beginning of each new cycle. If you haven’t earned at least 500 points during a cycle, you will not receive a Rewards Rebate and your points balance will still be set to zero.
- You can redeem your Fred Meyer Rewards Rebates at any Fred Meyers store.
- Your Fred Meyer Rewards Rebates must be redeemed by the end of the point cycle in which they are received. The expiration date will be printed on the rebate coupon.
- Fred Meyer Rewards Rebates have no cash value and can only be used at Fred Meyer stores for purchases of merchandise. Purchases must exceed the value of the certificate or the remainder will be forfeited.
- If you return a purchase, the points earned for that purchase will be subtracted from your point total because Rewards Points are only earned for purchases.
- Yes, you can use your Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card anywhere that Mastercard cards are accepted.
- Yes, it's possible to get cash from an ATM with your Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card. In order to do so, you’ll need to get your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Cash advances do not earn rewards points.
What kind of credit score do I need to be approved for the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card?You probably don’t need a very high credit score to be approved for the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card. Many applicants report successful approval with a credit score above 680. Keep in mind, that a credit score higher than this does not guarantee approval. Likewise, a lower score does not guarantee you will not be approved. U.S. Bank will consider your entire credit application before deciding whether to approve or deny you for the card.
- The APR is competitive for a rewards card, and it doesn’t matter what the APR is for purchases if you pay your bill in full before the payment due date each month.
- Yes, certain purchases, including cash advances, quick cash advances, interest charges and fees, do not qualify to earn rewards.
Compare Store Credit Cards
Before you apply for the Fred Meyer card, you should consider other cards that offer rewards or cash back at nearby grocery stores and gas stations. A few cards co-branded with stores that are located in many places around the U.S. are the Sam’s Club credit card, Walmart credit card and the Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi.
Other Similar Store Credit Cards
The Sam’s Club credit card offers a $45 sign-up bonus in the form of a statement credit when you open a Sam’s Club credit card and make a purchase of $45 or more on the same day. The Sam’s Club card offers 5.0 percent cash back on gas for your first $6,000 in purchases each year, 3.0 percent back on dining and travel, and 1.0 percent back on all other purchases. The Sam’s Club card is likely to be more rewarding than the other cards mentioned in this section.
The Costco Anywhere Visa card by Citi offers an introductory 0% APR period for purchases made within the first seven months as a cardholder. It offers 4 percent back on gas purchases worldwide, including gas at Costco, 3 percent back on restaurant and eligible travel purchases worldwide, 2 percent back on all other purchases from Costco and Costco.com, and 1 percent back on all other purchases. The Costco Anywhere Visa card is actually a very good all-around cashback card.
The Walmart credit card offers a $25 sign-up bonus when you apply for your card online and make your first purchase. Additionally, you’ll earn 3.0 percent back on purchases at Walmart.com, 2.0 percent back on Murphy USA and Walmart gas stations, and 1.0 percent back on all other purchases.
When deciding between these cards, the first thing you should consider is which stores you are most likely to shop at. Getting a Sam’s Club credit card isn’t going to make sense if the closest Sam’s Club store is over two hours away.
If you do have multiple store options near you, the Sam’s Club card or the Costco card are likely to be the most rewarding, but it does depend on your individual shopping patterns. Furthermore, there are other cards that aren’t specific store cards that could make even more sense. We will look at a couple of those options below.
Some Alternative Cards for Fred Meyer Shoppers
Before you apply for the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card, it’s a good idea to take a look at some cashback cards to see if they would offer more return for your everyday spending. There are many different cards to consider, but below we will take a closer look at the Discover it – Cashback Match, Citi Double Cash and Blue Cash from American Express.
- Discover it® - Cashback Match™
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash Card
$100 cash back bonusRead Review
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
$150 cashback bonus offerRead Review
Best Cashback Card
Of these three options, the best cashback card is Citi Double Cash. It offers a total of 2.0 percent cash back on all purchases. You’ll get 1 percent when you make the purchase and another 1 percent when you pay off your card.
When comparing this with the Fred Meyer Mastercard credit card, you’ll always come out ahead with the Citi Double Cash card. The Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card offers 2 percent back only on purchases made at Fred Meyer stores.
An additional benefit of the Double Cash card is you don’t have to pay attention to where you shop or fill up your gas tank. You’ll earn 2 percent back no matter what. The Citi Double Cash card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Best Rotating Category Card
The best rotating category card is the Discover it – Cashback Match card. This card offers 5.0 percent cashback categories that rotate every quarter. The categories aren’t constant from year to year, but often include gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs, department stores and Amazon. The Discover it card earns 1 percent cashback on all other purchases.
While you might miss out on a few percentage points of cash back from one category during a specific quarter, you’ll probably make up for it in other quarters, depending on where you spend money.
What makes this card even more amazing is that for your first year, Discover will double all of your cash back. That means that the 5.0 percent categories will effectively earn 10 percent back and all other purchases will get 2 percent back. This alone makes the Discover it card unbeatable for the first year, regardless of what categories you spend money in. The Discover it card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Get the Biggest Bonus
If you’re looking for a big sign-up bonus with good everyday spending categories, the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express is worth serious consideration. It offers $150 back after you make $1,000 in purchases within the first three months as a cardholder.
Additionally, you’ll earn 3.0 percent cash back at U.S. supermarkets on your first $6,000 in purchases per year, 2.0 percent cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1.0 percent back on all other purchases.
The Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard creddit card doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, so you’re coming out ahead with the Blue Cash Everyday card right away. The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express does not have an annual fee.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Fred Meyer credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Mastercard card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% introductory APR for the first 9 billing cycles
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first 9 billing cycles for balances transferred within 30 days from account opening
- Ongoing APR:
- 13.49% to 25.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 24 - 30 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- The period of your warranty will be doubled up to one additional year on eligible items of personal property that have a valid original manufacturer’s warranty of three years or less.
- Purchase Protection:
- Within the first 90 days of the date of purchase, items purchased with your card can be replaced, repaired or reimbursed up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.74% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either 4% of the amount of each advance or $10 minimum, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard card offers standard security features including:
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Mobile App:
- Track your account with the mobile app while you’re on the go.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Automatic Bill Payment:
- Grow your rewards even faster when you automatically pay your bills online.
- Zero Fraud Liability:
- You’re never liable for unauthorized purchases made on your credit card.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
In addition to the benefits already discussed above, the Fred Meyer Rewards Mastercard credit card has a few more to offer:
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Legal and medical referrals, and other travel and emergency assistance is available any time of day. Service charges apply.
- Emergency Card Replacement and Cash Disbursement:
- If you lose your card while traveling or need cash, you can get a replacement card or emergency cash, usually within 24 hours, if you report your card as lost or stolen.