FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards Card
The FlexPerks Business Edge Travel Rewards card is a good option for anyone looking for a flexible travel rewards card. It offers a 20,000 points sign-up bonus, and the points earned for everyday spending can really add up, too.
You’ll get 2 points per dollar for a category that is determined monthly by what you spend the most on. The options are airlines, gas or office supplies. Additionally, cell phone expenses always earn two points per dollar. All other purchases earn 1 point per dollar.
The Business Edge card has a $55 annual fee, but it’s waived the first year. If you spend more than $24,000 in net purchases annually, your annual fee will be credited back to your account.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards Card offers and the value of the U.S. Bank U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Rewards FlexPoints® you earn.
The FlexPerks Business Edge card offers a sign-up bonus of 20,000 FlexPoints after meeting a $2,000 minimum spending requirement within the first four months of account opening. Every time you use your FlexPoints to book an award flight, you’ll receive a $25 airline allowance to help with in-flight food and drinks, baggage fees and other airline incidentals.
What You Get
- Earn 20,000 points after spending $2,000 within the first 4 months
- Get a $25 airline allowance, good for baggage fees, in-flight purchases and more, every time you redeem for an award flight
- 2 points per dollar for cell phone expenses
- 2 points for gas, offices supplies or airfare—whichever you spend the most on that month
- Annual fee and employee card fee waiver if you spend $24,000 on the card in a year
FlexPoints expire at the end of the calendar quarter that is five years from the date on which they were earned. For example, points earned in December 2017 will expire December 31, 2022. There is no way to keep your points from expiring; you will need to use them by the expiry date or forfeit them.
What is the value of the U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Rewards Flexpoints®?
FlexPoints are worth at least one cent each, but their value depends on how they are used. It is generally possible to get 1.33 cents per point in value when redeeming for flights. The maximum value of a Flexpoint is two cents.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles or points. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile or point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket by the number of miles or points the award flight costs. That amount is multiplied by the number of miles or points earned per dollar spent on everyday purchases to account for cards that earn more than one mile per dollar spent.
How we calculate CPM:
The Best Ways to Redeem FlexPerks® Business Edge Travel Rewards Flexpoints®
The best way to redeem FlexPoints is for flights. When redeeming for flights, you can get a maximum of two cents per point in value. Other redemption options are available, including hotels, car rentals and cruises that offer a maximum of 1.5 cents per point; an annual fee credit that offers 1.4 cents per point; and merchandise, gift cards and statement credits that offer one cent per point.
Austin–New YorkEconomy classMiles price15,000Points+$29 feeDollars price$299
Chicago–Los AngelesEconomy classMiles price24,700Points+$0 feeDollars price$247
Seattle–DenverEconomy classMiles price18,600Points+$0 feeDollars price$186
New York–MoscowEconomy classMiles price51,500Points+$251 feeDollars price$810
Los Angeles–ParisEconomy classMiles price49,750Points+$300 feeDollars price$1,605
Houston–FrankfurtEconomy classMiles price49,750Points+$360 feeDollars price$1,777
Miami–HonoluluBusiness classMiles price80,000Points+$20 feeDollars price$2,083
Miami–WashingtonBusiness classMiles price52,900Points+$0 feeDollars price$529
Pittsburgh–HoustonBusiness classMiles price50,000Points+$13 feeDollars price$827
Washington–PortoBusiness classMiles price88,000Points+$503 feeDollars price$5,041
Los Angeles–Tel AvivBusiness classMiles price104,000Points+$395 feeDollars price$4,403
Atlanta–MadridBusiness classMiles price88,000Points+$654 feeDollars price$4,044
Other ways you can redeem FlexPoints®
Hotel Stays4+ partners4+ partners
It is possible to redeem your FlexPoints for hotels (Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®, Marriott® Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton®, etc.) at a maximum rate of 1.5 cents per point.
Car Rental3 partners3 partners
It is possible to redeem your FlexPoints for car rentals (Avis®, Budget®, Hertz) at a maximum rate of 1.5 cents per point.
It is possible to redeem your FlexPoints for gift cards at a rate of one cent per point.
It is possible to redeem your FlexPoints for cash back in the form of a statement credit at a rate of one cent per point.
Everyday Earnings with FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards Card
The FlexPerks Business Edge card offers two points per dollar spent on gas, office supplies or airfare—whichever category you spend the most on each month—and for cell phone expenses. You’ll also earn one point per dollar for all other purchases. If you spend $24,000 in net purchases annually, your $55 annual fee and the $10 fee for each employee card will be credited back to your account.
- Cell phone expenses
- All Other Purchases
The FlexPerks Business Edge card isn’t a premium travel card, but it does offer a couple benefits worth mentioning.
When you book an award ticket with your FlexPoints, you’ll get $25 to cover airline incidentals, including checked bag fees, seat selection fees and in-flight food and drink purchases.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
You’ll never pay additional fees to use your card abroad.
Earn Elite Status Fast
The FlexPerks Business Edge card doesn’t offer the ability to earn elite status fast with any airline or hotel program.
Fees: the cost of Having FlexPerks® Business Edge™ Travel Rewards Card
In order to cover the $55 annual fee, you’ll need to spend at least $4,135 in purchases each year. This assumes that you are able to achieve a value of at least 1.33 cents per point.
The FiexPerks Business Edge card waives the annual fee for the first year, so any amount of spending you do in that year puts you ahead. Additionally, the 20,000-point sign-up bonus more than covers the annual fee.
- Annual Fee
- $0 first year, then $55
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either 3% of the amount of each transfer or $5 minimum, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- $19 on balances up to $100, $29 on balances from $100 up to $250, $39 on balances of $250 or more
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $1,013 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the FlexPerks Business Edge Travel Rewards card. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the FlexPerks Business Edge Travel Rewards Card
The Business Edge Travel Rewards card offers some great benefits. Here are the top five:
- Great Earning Potential: Get 2 FlexPoints per dollar spent on the category you spend the most in every month: gas, office supplies or airfare. You’ll also get double points on cell phone purchases.
- Big Sign-Up Bonus: This card comes with a huge sign-up bonus of 20,000 points. That’s worth up to $400 in flights!
- Airline Incidental Credit: When you use your FlexPoints to book a flight, you’ll also be given $25 to use toward airline incidentals like checked bag fees, seat selection fees and in-flight purchases.
- Low Annual Fee: Many travel credit cards charge an annual fee of $89 or more, but you’ll pay just $55 a year for the Business Edge card. Plus that fee is waived the first year!
- Annual Fee Waiver: If you spend at least $24,000 in net purchases annually, your $55 annual fee will be credited back to your account.
Should You Get the FlexPerks Business Edge Card?
The FlexPerks Business Edge Travel Rewards card is a solid option for someone looking to earn flexible travel rewards. FlexPoints earned from spending on your card can be used to redeem for travel on most airlines as well as hotels and car rentals. Non-travel redemptions are also possible for merchandise, gift cards and statement credits.
Flight redemptions are the best way to use FlexPoints, so that should be your plan if you decide to get this card. If you’d rather redeem for cash back, there are cards that offer a better return for spending. Considering the Business Edge card has a $55 annual fee, you should make sure that you can earn enough points to offset paying the fee for the card before you apply. Overall, it’s a good option for people looking for a flexible travel credit card.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Most people who are approved for the FlexPerks Business Edge card report having a credit score of 710 or higher. It is possible to be approved with a lower score, and it isn’t guaranteed to be approved even with a higher score. U.S. Bank will review your entire card application before deciding the outcome.
- It is not possible to transfer your FlexPoints to airline miles, but you can use them to book flights. You’ll need at least 20,000 FlexPoints to redeem for a flight of up to $400.
- Technically, you do need a business to get the Business Edge card, but the good news is that it can be any kind of business! If you sell things at a local art show or online, help the neighbors out with their gardening or cleaning, or do anything else that you make money from, you have a business and can apply for a business credit card.
Before you get the Business Edge card, let’s look at a couple of other FlexPerks credit cards that could be a better fit for you.
Other FlexPerks cards
|U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Select+ Card||FlexPerks® Travel Rewards Visa Signature® Card|
|Sign-up bonus||10,000 FlexPoints®||20,000 FlexPoints®||20,000 FlexPoints®||30,000 FlexPoints®|
|Annual Fee||$0||$0 first year, then $55||$0 introductory annual fee for the first 12 months, After that $49||$85|
|APR On Purchases||15.24% to 25.24% Variable±||12.99% to 23.99% Variable±||15.24% to 25.24% Variable±||14.99% to 24.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$480||$480||$480||$480|
The FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa Signature card is most similar to the Business Edge card. Both cards offer a sign-up bonus of 20,000 FlexPoints after spending $2,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening.
The FlexPerks Visa Signature also offers two FlexPoints per dollar spent on airlines, gas stations or grocery stores, whichever you spend the most in during a month, and two FlexPoints per dollar for cellular providers and on charity purchases, It has a $49 annual fee that is waived the first year.
The FlexPerks Gold American Express card offers a 30,000 points sign-up bonus after spending $2,000 in purchases within the first four months. You will earn three FlexPoints per dollar spent on purchases at restaurants, two FlexPoints per dollar spent at gas stations and with airlines, and one FlexPoint per dollar spent on all other purchases. It has a $85 annual fee.
The FlexPerks Select+ card offers a 10,000 points sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 within the first four months. You’ll earn 1 FlexPoint per dollar on all purchases, and this card doesn’t have an annual fee.
When deciding which of these cards is best, you should look at what categories you spend your money in and how much you spend. From there, see which card will offer you the most back for your spending.
Compare FlexPerks Business Edge Credit Card to Other Cards
It’s also worth it to compare the Business Edge card to other cards that don’t earn FlexPoints. The Ink Business Preferred, Wells Fargo Business Platinum and Business Gold Rewards cards all offer rewards that can be used for travel, like the Business Edge.
The Ink Preferred offers a sign-up bonus of 80,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases within three months. With a $95 annual fee, you’ll earn three Ultimate Rewards points per dollar on the first $150,000 spent in combined annual purchases on travel, shipping, internet, cable, phone and advertising purchases.
The Business Gold Rewards card from American Express offers a 50,000 points sign-up bonus and has a $175 annual fee. It earns three points per dollar spent in one category from a list of five, two points per dollar spent in the other four categories, and one point per dollar for all other purchases.
The Wells Fargo Business Platinum card offers 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases and doesn’t have an annual fee.
When comparing these cards, you should consider what categories you spend in and how much. If you’re a light spender, a card with no annual fee might make more sense, but if you spend significantly in a category covered by another card, it might make more sense to pay the annual fee and earn more points.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the FlexPerks Business Edge Travel Rewards card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Business Visa card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 12.99% to 23.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 24 - 30 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 24.99% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either 5% of the amount of each advance or $10 minimum, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The FlexPerks Business Edge card offers standard security features including the following:
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- 24/7 Fraud Monitoring:
- U.S. Bank is monitoring for fraudulent purchases at all times.
- $0 Fraud Liability:
- You’re not liable for fraudulent purchases.
U.S. Bank offers a mobile app so you can monitor your spending while you’re on the go. The FlexPerks Business Edge is also compatible with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
In addition to the benefits already discussed, the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Business Edge card has a few more worth noting:
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- Get reimbursed for damaged or lost bags. Coverage includes the cardholder and immediate family members on the same travel itinerary.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your card.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Legal and medical referrals, and other travel and emergency assistance is available any time of day. Service charges apply.