Expedia®+ Voyager Card from Citi
The Expedia+ Voyager card is a great card for those who often book hotels through Expedia. It’s especially useful when booking hotels that are part of the +VIP Access hotels program, which doubles the value of points relative to standard hotel bookings. Since the card comes with automatic Gold elite status, cardholders can take advantage of +VIP Access hotels and receive a variety of perks.
The card comes with a respectable sign-up bonus that can be earned with a modest minimum spending requirement. There are also other benefits, such as travel fee credits, annual bonus points and multiple bonus categories for earning points.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Expedia®+ Voyager Card from Citi offers and the value of the Citi Expedia®+ Rewards points you earn.
This card comes with a sign-up bonus of 25,000 points after spending $2,000 within the first three months. You can also earn an annual bonus of 5,000 points when you spend $10,000 throughout the year. In addition, the card offers an annual $100 Air Travel Fee Statement Credit that can be used toward airline incidentals on qualified airlines, Wi-Fi carriers or for either the Global Entry or TSA Precheck application fee.
What You Get
- 25,000 points after spending $2,000 within the first 3 months
- 5,000 points points every year you spend at least $10,000
- 100 annual air travel fee statement credit good for Global Entry, TSA Precheck or airline incidentals
- Instant Expedia+ Gold status
- 4 points per dollar for Expedia purchases
- 2 points per dollar at restaurants and for entertainment
Expedia+ plus points do not expire unless there has been no qualifying activity in the account for 18 months. Qualifying activity includes both earning and redeeming points. Having an Expedia credit card makes it easier to prevent your points from expiring since all you need to do is make a small purchase with the card to generate activity in your account.
What is the value of the Expedia®+ Rewards Points?
Expedia+ does not utilize an award chart like a traditional frequent flyer or hotel loyalty program. Instead, the points are worth a fixed value depending on the type of redemption you make. Expedia allows you to redeem points for coupons beginning at $25 worth of travel for hotels and hotel plus air packages. A $25 coupon for either of these types of redemptions costs 3,500 points, which comes out to a value of approximately 0.71 cents per point.
The number of points required for redemptions for flights alone scale with the price of the ticket and tend to come in slightly above 0.6 cents per point when compared with the flight cost on airline websites.
The best value redemptions are for +VIP Access hotels. Only Expedia+ Silver and Gold members have access to these rates, which double the value of the standard hotel redemptions. Redeeming 3,500 points will earn you a coupon worth $50 toward +VIP Access hotels, which equates to a value of about 1.43 cents per point.
What is CPM and How Is It Calculated?
Cents Per Mile (CPM) is a way to measure the value of miles or points. It tells you how many cents you get for each mile or point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the airline ticket by the number of miles or points the award flight costs. That amount is multiplied by the number of miles or points earned per dollar spent on everyday purchases to account for cards that earn more than one mile per dollar spent.
How we calculate CPM:
The Best Ways to Redeem Expedia+ Points
Undoubtedly, the best way to redeem Expedia+ points is via +VIP Access hotels. Not only does this result in by far the highest points value at 1.43 cents per point, but you receive other benefits as well. Depending on the property, you’ll get benefits including free parking, spa credits, complimentary food and drink, and room upgrades or preferred rooms. The Expedia+ Voyager card comes with automatic Gold status, so as a card member you will be able to book +VIP Access hotels and receive the highest level of benefits offered by Expedia’s elite program.
San Francisco–WashingtonEconomy class
Los Angeles–HonoluluEconomy class
New York–ReykjavikEconomy class
Orlando–Las VegasBusiness class
San Francisco–DublinBusiness class
Newark–Tel AvivBusiness class
Las Vegas–OttawaBusiness class
Other ways you can redeem points
Points can be redeemed directly for hotels on Expedia’s website.
The Expedia+ Voyager card has several bonus categories which allow you to accelerate earning. You earn four points per dollar on Expedia purchases, including flights, hotels and travel packages. You’ll also earn two points per dollar on dining and entertainment, including purchases of tickets to concerts, movies and sporting events.
Your Monthly Charges
Rewards You Will Earn Annually29,000points$181in dollar value
- Expedia purchases
- All Other Purchases
Note that in order to earn bonus points on travel, the purchases must be made directly through Expedia. This is not a general travel category bonus that applies to bookings made directly with airlines and hotels.
$100 Annual Air Travel Fee Credit
This is credit is more flexible than those offered on cards in that you can choose to apply the credit to airline incidental purchases, use it for Wi-Fi from providers like GoGo, or reimburse TSA Precheck or Global Entry application fees.
Expedia+ Gold Status
This status is complimentary as long as you are a cardholder and comes with benefits such as free parking, spa credits, complimentary food and drink, and room upgrades or preferred rooms.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
You’ll never incur a fee for using this card while traveling abroad.
Earn Elite Status Fast
Expedia+ Gold status is complimentary as long as you are a cardholder. You earn a 30 percent bonus and 250 bonus points for all stays at +VIP Access hotels. During your stay at +VIP Access hotels you will receive benefits such as such as early check-in, late check-out, free parking, pa credits, complimentary food and drink, and room upgrades or preferred rooms. This status normally requires 15 nights or $10,000 in spending per year, so this is a significant acceleration.
- Cardholders get instant Gold status with Expedia
Fees: the cost of Having the Card
The Expedia+ Voyager card carries an annual fee of $95. The annual fee is not waived for the first year. If you make $13,380 in purchases a year, you’ll cover the cost of the card. That’s because you’ll earn at least 13,380 points, and they’re worth at least .71 cents each. If you spend about $2,000 a month, you’ll pay off the card in 7 months. However, this assumes that none of your spending takes place in any of the several bonus categories offered by this card, so the amount of spending required could be much less.
The sign-up bonus of 25,000 points easily covers the cost of the card for the first year.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- Up to $35
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
Your Average Monthly Spend
Months to Cover Annual Fee
Get anniversary bonus: 5,000 points
You will receive 5,000 bonus points each anniversary year – enough to cover more than a half of the annual fee.
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $5,027 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the Expedia®+ Voyager Card from Citi. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Expedia+ Voyager Credit Card
The Expedia+ Voyager card has a diverse set of benefits. Some of the best include automatic elite status and annual airline fee credits.
- Automatic Expedia+ Gold Status: Automatically receive Gold elite status as a card member. That’s Expedia’s highest level of status and offers multiple benefits during hotel stays.
- Great Earning Potential: This card has several bonus categories, including 4 points per dollar on Expedia purchases and 2 points per dollar on dining and entertainment.
- $100 Annual Airline Credit: This credit can be used toward airline incidentals on qualified airlines, Wi-Fi carriers or for either the Global Entry or TSA Precheck application fee.
- Anniversary Bonus: Earn 5,000 bonus points each year by spending $10,000 on the card, which helps offset the annual fee.
- Big Sign-Up Bonus: This card comes with a huge sign-up bonus of 25,000 points. This can be worth up to $350 in travel if used to book Access +VIP hotels.
Should You Get the Expedia+ Voyager Card?
There are several groups of travelers for whom the Expedia+ Voyager card might carry significant appeal. The first are those who often book travel through Expedia already, since this card will earn them four points per dollar on such purchases.
Second are those who want to receive many of the benefits of hotel elite status but don’t stay enough nights to earn status directly with a hotel chain. They can still enjoy similar benefits with +VIP Access hotel bookings.
Lastly, many people may not be eligible for sign-up bonuses on other Citi cards due to their restrictive rules and may want to consider an Expedia card as an alternative.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- The current promotional offer for the Expedia+ Voyager card is 25,000 points after spending $2,000 in the first three months. However, the card’s issuer, Citibank, has a rule which states you cannot receive a bonus in the same card family if you have opened or closed a card in that family within the last 24 months. There is another, no annual fee Expedia card from Citi, so consider this rule and any Expedia cards you have or have had before applying.
- Expedia Elite Plus was the name of the top tier elite status under Expedia’s former loyalty program. Expedia launched the new program in 2014. The top tier status for the new program is called Expedia+ Gold, which comes automatically with the Expedia+ Voyager card.
- In general, Citi allows product changes from one type of credit card to another. So, if you have the basic Expedia+ card and want to upgrade to the Voyager card because you feel the additional benefits outweigh the annual fee, call the number on the back of your card and ask to be upgraded.
Citi offers two versions of their Expedia cards, the no annual fee Expedia+ card and the $ 95 annual fee Expedia+ Voyager card.
Other Expedia+ cards
|Expedia® + Card from Citi|
|15,000 points||25,000 points|
APR On Purchases
|15.99% to 23.99% Variable±||14.99% to 22.99% Variable±|
Second Year Value
The Expedia+ Voyager card comes with several additional benefits not offered by the basic, no annual fee card. The sign-up bonus is 25,000 points versus 15,000; it comes with automatic Gold status instead of Silver status; the bonus categories are broader and have higher multipliers; and it offers a $100 annual airline credit, anniversary bonus points and no foreign transaction fees. None of those perks come with the no-fee card.
Compare Expedia+ Voyager Credit Card to Other Cards
The Expedia+ rewards program is partially a fixed-value program where points can have different values based on the type of booking you make. Below we compare this card with several fixed-value travel rewards cards.
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus and the Venture Rewards card from Capital One are both basically 2 percent rewards cards. They earn two points per dollar on all spending and points are worth one cent each. They also both have higher sign-up bonuses than the Expedia+ Voyager card.
The Discover it Miles card doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, but new card members will have their points doubled for the first year, which effectively makes it a 3 percent card—the highest earning rate on the list.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Excellent credit score
Pay with pointsYes
Loyalty ProgramExpedia®+ Rewards
Flights TypeDomestic and International
AllianceNot a member
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Expedia+ Voyager card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 14.99% to 22.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Extends the manufacturer’s warranty by 24 months so you can feel more confident when you make purchases with your Citi card.
- Purchase Protection:
- Covers damaged or stolen items for 120 days from the date of purchase for up to $10,000 per item, $50,000 per year.
- Citi Price Rewind:
- Price Rewind searches for a lower price on the registered items you pay for with your card at hundreds of online merchants. If the same item is found at a lower price within 60 days of your initial purchase date, you may receive the difference between the price you paid and the lower price.
- Return Protection:
- If the merchant won’t accept a return within 90 days, you could get up to $500 per item and $2,500 per year.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Expedia+ Voyager card comes with Citi’s excellent suite of card protections.
- Fraud Alerts:
- Citi will prevent potentially fraudulent transactions from occurring, which you can easily clear with a text and proceed with your purchase.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track all your Chase accounts with Chase Mobile app.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Monitoring:
- Citi partners with Equifax to offer card members a free monthly FICO score.
Citi offers a mobile app with a high degree of functionality. You can see transactions, balances and available credit, and make payments. You can also lock a card from being used if you have lost it or suspect fraud.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Expedia+ Voyager card is issued as a World MasterCard and comes with all of the benefits listed below:
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance:
- Coverage for up to $100,000 for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Baggage Delay Insurance:
- Reimbursement for essentials, such as toiletries and clothing, if your bags are delayed over 6 hours. Get up to $100 a day from departure to trip completion.
- Lost Baggage Reimbursement:
- Get up to $3,000 per passenger for damaged or lost bags. Coverage includes the cardholder and immediate family members on the same travel itinerary.
- Trip Delay Protection:
- Covers expenses, like meals and lodging, incurred due a delayed trip on a common carrier.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your card.