- for Dressbarn Customers93
- for Purchases80
- for Everyday Use55
Dressbarn Credit Card Review: Is It the Right Card for You?
Often when you shop at the mall or a big retailer, a cashier will offer to sign you up for a credit card. Many stores have their own co-branded credit cards and many come with special benefits. Some cards offer ongoing discounts and access to sales events. Others offer free shipping and no-interest financing.
Dressbarn, a women’s clothing, shoes and accessories store, offers customers its own credit card issued by Capital One. The Dressbarn credit card gives new cardholders a 10 percent discount on their first purchase, which is particularly useful for big ticket items. Besides that, there aren’t many benefits, aside from exclusive cardholder promos, email coupon offers and a birthday gift. You do not have to be a cardholder to join the Dressbarn rewards program, dbPERKS.
The Dressbarn card charges no annual fees, and consumers can use it at more than 800 store locations across the United States. You can manage the card account and pay your bill online. If you frequently shop at Dressbarn and are thinking about signing up for its co-branded credit card, you should keep reading for more details before you apply.
Dressbarn Credit Card Features and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Dressbarn Credit Card offers and the value of the Capital One points you earn.
New Dressbarn card members receive 10 percent off their first purchase from any Dressbarn location, which can be considered a mini sign-up bonus. The discount is not limited and applies to the first purchase of any amount. For example, if your purchase is $200, you get $20 back in your pocket. If you decide to apply for this credit card, make sure your purchase is big enough for a substantial discount.
You can also take another 20 percent off one full-priced item on the first billing statement. Plus you’ll get special email offers with 25 percent discount offers sent to cardholders throughout the year.
Additionally, every year your card is active, in good standing and used at least once in the last 12 months, you receive a birthday gift in the form of an email offer.
The Dressbarn card costs nothing to keep year after year, and additional authorized user cards can be issued at no cost as well.
What You Get
- Receive 10% off your first purchase
- 20% off any single regular priced item on your first billing statement
- Ongoing 25% discount offers throughout the year
- No annual fee
- Free additional cards for authorized users
The Dressbarn credit card does not offer any promotional financing to card members. In fact, you might say that the opposite is true. The Annual Percentage Rate is pretty high at 28.24% Variable±, even when compared to other store cards, which generally charge higher APR. Such a high interest rate is a big drawback of this credit card. It’s always best to pay off your balance in full every month to avoid paying such high interest.
Cardholders will get several exclusive email offers throughout the year. These offers typically include a 25 percent off coupon for regularly priced items.
Everyday Earnings with Dressbarn Credit Card
Dressbarn runs a loyalty program dubbed dbPERKS. It’s free to sign up, and you don’t have to be a cardholder to participate. The credit card mostly offers discounts on purchases.
You can earn one point for every $25 spent when shopping in-store or online. Every purchase counts, even the first one. Every 10 points earned nets you $15 in dbPERKS Rewards that can be printed at the register and redeemed for a subsequent purchase.
It’s important to note that rewards cannot be used to pay off the balance on your Dressbarn credit card.
What Is the Value of Dressbarn Points
The rewards earned by shopping at Dressbarn translate to a rate of 6 percent back. For every $250 spent at Dressbarn, you get $15 toward a future purchase. When compared with other rewards cards that offer 1 or 2 percent back, the return is pretty good. But remember that your rewards are limited and can only be used at Dressbarn.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
Should You Get the Dressbarn Credit Card?
Dressbarn carries sizes 2 to 24, which means it targets a wide range of clientele, from petite to plus size. The store sells clothing, shoes, jewelry and other accessories. If you are one of the store’s frequent shoppers, you are the target audience for the branded credit card. Card membership doesn’t cost anything. Every $250 you spend will get $15 back in your pocket for your next Dressbarn purchase.
The first time you shop with the Dressbarn credit card, you will receive 10 percent off your purchase. That won’t amount to much unless you buy a lot of items. Additionally, cardholders receive exclusive promos, early invitations to store sales, 25 percent coupons and a birthday bonus. There are plenty of opportunities to save money on your Dressbarn purchases during a shopping year.
Holding a store credit card can be convenient, but make sure to pay no interest on your shopping sprees. The Dressbarn credit card’s APR is high at 28.24% Variable±, which means that carrying a balance can get pretty expensive. You want to make sure to pay off your balance in full every month to avoid interest. Otherwise, you can get yourself in financial trouble.
The Dressbarn card might be beneficial to those consumers whose credit score isn’t that great. In general, store cards are much easier to obtain than bank credit cards. That’s why they sometimes lack in rewards and benefits.
However, if you’re looking to increase your score and establish a history of on-time payments, you can apply for the Dressbarn credit card. If you keep a good record with no derogatory remarks, your credit score should increase over time. You will be able to qualify for a more rewarding card in no time.
Once your score goes up, I recommend looking into a traditional credit card that isn’t co-branded with a specific store. These cashback cards generally offer more value, giving you more flexibility in terms of earning and spending rewards.
Rewards cards like the Discover it card, Citi Double Cash and Chase Freedom Unlimited earn cash rewards on all purchases at any store. You could be earning up to 2 percent cash back with those cards, and it is not limited to a specific store or brand.
The bottom line is that the Dressbarn rewards program may earn at a slightly better rate than a standard cashback card, but the points are limited in how they can be redeemed.
Importantly, the Dressbarn credit card itself does not earn any additional bonus points. So you don’t even have to get the card to participate in the store’s rewards program. Consider double dipping your rewards by using a standard cashback card for Dressbarn purchases and earning points through the free Dressbarn rewards program.
The upside of getting the card is that there are plenty of offers that can save you money when shopping at Dressbarn locations. Plus, using the card responsibly can help you build your credit history.
If you do not shop at the store frequently or do not have a location in your city, it is obvious that this credit card will not be compatible with your shopping habits. If you have a high credit score, you might want to consider some alternative cards with more flexible rewards.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- The Dressbarn card is not issued by either Visa or MasterCard networks and therefore cannot be used at any other retailer. The Dressbarn credit card can, however, be used to pay for any purchase at any Dressbarn location or at Dressbarn.com.
- Yes, Capital One allows adding authorized users to the Dressbarn credit card. Primary cardholders can add additional cards for their family members, and the cards cost nothing extra.As long as your account is in good standing, adding an authorized user, for example your spouse or your kids, can help increase the other person’s credit score, teach them about how credit works and how to manage finances as well as monitor their spending.Keep in mind that the primary account holder is responsible for all charges accrued by authorized users, so make sure you add someone you trust.
- Dressbarn customers who would like to obtain the store’s credit card can qualify even with an average credit score. Keep in mind that approval is not always guaranteed and depends on not just the score, but also your overall credit health.If your FICO score is at least 670, the chances of approval are good. Keep in mind that your results will vary and you might be approved for a low credit limit at first. Still, if your score is on the low end, I recommend looking for ways to improve it.To find out where you stand with the credit bureaus, check with one of the free services, such as Credit Karma or Credit Sesame. It’s always good to know your credit score before applying for an additional credit line.
- After your statement closes, you have 25 days to pay it off in full. If some balance is left over, interest rates will apply to your bill, and as already mentioned above, there’s no introductory APR offer. The standard APR on this card is 28.24% Variable±.In order to avoid paying interest and missing out on the value of your rewards, it’s best to pay off your bill in full every month. Doing so will help you establish on-time payment history and help you increase your credit score.
- The Dressbarn credit card program has relocated from Comenity to Capital One. If you have an existing account and it was eligible for a transfer, it’s been moved. You can access it from the new website. For more information, please visit dressbarn.capitalone.com.
- No, you do not have to be a card member to participate. The dbPERKS Rewards program runs independently of the credit card program. In fact, using the branded Dressbarn card on purchases doesn’t net you any more bonus points. It can be a negative, especially when so many other cards present an opportunity to earn rewards.Participating in the dbPERKS program doesn’t cost anything. You’ll earn $15 back for every $250 spent at Dressbarn. If you’re a frequent shopper, it makes sense to enroll in the rewards program.
Compare Dressbarn Credit Card
Some Alternative Cards for Dressbarn Shoppers
Store cards in general require a lower credit score to be approved for an account, but cashback cards typically offer more generous rewards on all your spending, not just at that specific store. Let’s take a look at several bank-issued rewards cards whose cash back can be applied toward statements with more flexibility.
Best Cashback Card
Citi Double Cash is one of the most rewarding no-fee cashback cards available today. With it, you earn 2.0 percent cash back per dollar spent in any category. You’ll get 1 percent back when you make a purchase and then another 1 percent back when you pay off the balance in full.
Rewards are unlimited, and the card charges no fees. The best part is that there are no category restrictions. Every single purchase earns cash back. Rewards can be applied toward any statement in any amount. Whatever you buy, be it travel, clothing, groceries or anything else, qualifies.
When it comes to cashback credit cards, it’s hard to go wrong with the Cit Double Cash card.
Best Rotating Category Card
The Discover it card earns 1.0 percent cash back in popular rotating categories, such as grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, gas stations and movie theaters. Although the bonus cash back is capped at $1,500 every quarter, there’s no limit to how much you can earn after the cap is reached at the reduced rate of 1.0 percent back.
At the end of the first year, Discover will match all cash back earned and double it. That means you’ll earn 10 percent back on purchases that fall into the bonus categories and 2 percent back for everything else! All you have to do is sit back, relax and wait for the rewards to accumulate. The card doesn’t charge annual fees, and the rewards can be redeemed at any time.
Best Cashback Card With a Cash Bonus
With the Chase Freedom Unlimited card, you can earn $150 back in your wallet after spending just $500 in the first three months. That’s a low minimum spending requirement that should be easy to reach.
The card earns a flat rate of 1.5 percent back on every purchase, but there’s a way to maximize that return. If you carry a premium Ultimate Rewards card from Chase, such as Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve, then the rewards you earn with the Freedom Unlimited card can be transferred airline or hotel loyalty programs.
The Freedom card charges $0 annual fees, which means all your rewards cost nothing to earn!
If you have applied for more than five credit cards in the last 24 months and can’t qualify for a Chase card, I recommend the Quicksilver from Capital One. This credit card is similar to the Freedom Unlimited in that it earns the same 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases. Plus, new cardholders receive a $0 welcome bonus after spending $500 in the first three months of account opening.
The card has no foreign transaction fees, which the Chase Freedom Unlimited card charges.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Recommended Credit Score:670
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Dressbarn card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this store credit card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 28.24% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
Security and Protections
Dressbarn shoppers can make payments on their credit card both at the store and online. Also, it’s possible to set up paperless statements and account notifications via Capital One’s website. It’s important to have access to all banking while on the go, and this card offers that option. The card does not have an EMV chip, only a magnetic strip on the back.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the mobile app.