- for Cash Rewards95
- For Everyday Use97
Discover it® Chrome Credit Card
The Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant card is great for anyone who wants to earn extra cash back for dining out and at gas stations. This card earns 2.0 percent back for those bonus categories and 1.0 percent back for all other purchases.
Discover also doubles your earnings for the first year. That means you’ll actually earn 4.0 percent at gas stations and restaurants and 2.0 percent everywhere else. The card has no annual fee, so you can get this excellent earning rate at no cost.
On the downside, the bonus categories are capped at $1,000 of spending per quarter. If you spend more than that, your cashback returns will drop down to the standard rate.
Bonuses & Benefits of Discover it Card
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Discover it® Chrome offers and the value of the Discover Cashback Bonus® cashback you earn.
This card does not offer a sign-up bonus, though that is not a big deal since it also does not carry an annual fee. However, it does offer Cashback Match, which is a program where Discover matches all of the cashback you have earned during the first year of card membership. This effectively means that the 1.0 percent categories earn 2.0 percent, and the 2.0 percent categories earn 4.0 percent.
When you log into your account you can see the total amount of cash back you have earned since you opened the card. After you reach your 12th billing statement, Discover will give you the cumulative amount of cash back you have earned again as a lump sum. This can make for a nice payday 13 months after opening the card!
What You Get
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information.
The cash back earned with Discover never expires, so don’t feel obligated to redeem quickly. However, makes sure you redeem everything before closing a card.
Everyday Earnings with Discover it® Chrome
This card earns 2.0 percent cash back at gas stations and restaurants and 1.0 percent back everywhere else. However, if you are a new card member you should be eligible for Discover’s program to have your rewards doubled for the first year. That means this card would earn 2.0 percent everywhere and 4.0 percent at gas stations and restaurants. Those are all very strong rates of return, especially for a card with no annual fee.
Discover it Chrome Credit Card Rewards
- All Other Purchases
Gas and restaurant purchases are those made at merchants classified as gas stations and full service restaurants, cafes, cafeterias and fast-food locations. If the gas station or restaurant is inside a larger business, such as warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores, the purchase will not qualify for bonus cash back.
As a pure cashback card, Discover it Chrome does not offer many travel benefits. However, you can use your card abroad for free since there are no foreign transaction fees.
No Foreign Transaction Fee
You’ll never be charged an additional fee for using this card while traveling abroad.
Fees: the cost of Having Discover it® Chrome
This card does not have an annual fee and therefore no amount of spending is required to cover the cost.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
3% intro balance transfer fee, up to 5% fee on future balance transfers (see terms)*
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
None the first time you pay late. After that, up to $37
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
The Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant card is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant Credit Card
The Discover it Chrome card is a solid cashback card that has no annual fee.
- Great Earning Potential: You’ll get 2.0% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up $1,000 of purchases per quarter.
- Cashback Match: Discover will double all of the rewards you earn during your first year of card membership. This makes the bonus categories worth 4.0% and other spending worth 2.0%.
- No Annual Fee: You can get all the benefits of this card without ever having to pay an annual fee.
- 0% Introductory APR: Get interest-free financing on new purchases and balance transfers for the first 14 months you have the card.
- No Late Fee on First Missed Payment: If you make a mistake and forget to pay your bill on time, Discover waives the late fee for your first missed payment.
Should You Get the Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card?
The Discover it Chrome card is a good choice for those that spend a lot at gas stations and restaurants. The bonus categories will help you rack up extra cash back. It’s also great for people who don’t like paying fees since this card has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, no late fee for first missed payment and no over limit fee. If you haven’t had this card before and are eligible for the first year Cashback Match, then this card is even more valuable.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Discover offers a free credit score every month for card members. The credit score comes from the Transunion credit bureau. This helps you monitor your credit and estimate your chances of getting approved for other cards or loans.
- Discover is accepted at over 97 percent of U.S. merchants that accept credit cards. It is also broadly accepted overseas in Asia, Australia and most of Europe. Look for the Diner’s Club, UnionPay and JCB logos to find places that accept Discover.
- Discover is more lenient than other card companies, making it a good option for people with poor credit or short credit histories. Even if you have been denied for credit by some of the bigger banks, you may have a good chance to get approved for a Discover credit card. You may receive a low credit limit initially, but it’s better than no card at all.
- The Discover it Chrome card offers bonus cash back at gas stations and restaurants, while the Discover it® Cash Backcard has bonus categories which rotate every quarter that earn 5 percent cash back on up to $1,500 in spending per quarter. The best card for you depends on if you specifically want to maximize cash back at gas and restaurants, or you want a higher cash back rate and don’t mind if the bonus categories change every three months.
Compare Discover it Cards
Discover has several different cash back credit cards. They differ mostly with respect to bonus categories and earning rates.
Other Discover it cards
The Discover it Miles card offers a flat rate of 1.5 percent cash back on all spending with no cap. This becomes 3 percent if you are eligible for the Cashback Match. The standard Discover it card has bonus categories which rotate every quarter and offers 5.0 percents cash back on up to $1,500 in spending per quarter.
Compare Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant Card to Other Cards
There are a variety of no annual fee cash back credit cards from various banks. Some of the things to consider are sign-up bonuses, cashback rates, bonus categories, spending caps and miscellaneous benefits.
- MLB™ Cash Rewards Mastercard® from Bank of America
One-time $200 bonus offerRead Review
- World Wildlife Fund Credit Card
$150 cash rewards offerRead Review
- AARP® Credit Card from Chase
$100 cash back bonus offerRead Review
The MLB credit card from Bank of America currently offers a sign-up bonus of $200. The bonus categories are better than the Discover it Chrome card with 2.0 percent back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 3 percent on gas for up to $2,500 of spending per quarter. However, Bank of America does not have a first year Cashback Match like Discover.
The World Wildlife Fund card is also from Bank of America and has all of the same benefits as the MLB cards.
The AARP card from Chase currently has a $100 bonus after spending $500 in the first three months. This card offers 3 percent cash back at restaurants and gas stations and 1 percent on all other purchases.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Discover it Chrome Gas & Restaurant card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Discover card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% (14 months)
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% (14 months)
- Ongoing APR:
- 14.24% - 25.24% Variable
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- This card offers an extended warranty of one additional year on warranties of three years or less.
- Purchase Protection:
- This card offers protection against damage and theft for up to $500 within 90 days of purchase.
- Price Protection:
- Get a refund for the difference if you find a lower price within 90 days of purchase.
- Return Protection:
- Get a refund if the store won’t accept your return for up to $500 per item within 90 days of purchase.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 27.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
Discover has recently improved its security features with a new Social Security number alert monitoring system.
- Account alerts:
- The new Social Security monitoring feature alerts you if you SS number is found on risky websites.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the mobile app.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Monitoring:
- Be notified of any new credit cards, mortgages, car loans or other accounts are opened on your Experian credit report.
- Freeze It:
- Allows you to prevent new transactions from being made on your account within seconds. You can also easily unfreeze your account.
Discover has a good mobile app that allows you to check balances, available credit, redeem rewards, check your FICO and freeze your account.
A few other mobile features include:
- Pay bills
- Change due date
- Fingerprint enabled log in
Additional Cardholder Benefits
Since Discover is both a payment network and a lender, they have a unique set of benefits compared to Visa and MasterCard. Unfortunately, this means that the benefits are more limited than many credit cards. For example, there are no baggage delay or lost baggage benefits with the Discover it Chrome card.
Discover Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. However, coverage is limited to $25,000.
- Flight Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000 for airline tickets bought with your Discover card.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
UGC Disclosure: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.