Diamond Resorts International® MasterCard®
The Diamond Resorts International MasterCard offers a 2,500 points sign-up bonus that is worth $19 when redeemed through the Diamond Resorts online travel portal. This is a low sign-up bonus for a card that is, overall, not stellar.
The card offers two Diamond Plus points per dollar spent on purchases with Diamond Resorts International and one point per dollar for all other purchases. This earning rate means that you won’t rack up rewards quickly unless you are making a lot of purchases with Diamond Resorts, and even then, there are better cards you could be using that would earn more points.
If you are a Diamond Resorts customer and you’re thinking about buying into a timeshare, this card has a unique perk that might appeal to you. You’ll get six months of interest-free financing on any Diamond Vacation Ownership down payment. With no annual fee, this might add enough value to warrant getting the card.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Diamond Resorts International® MasterCard® offers and the value of the Barclays Diamond Resorts International® Rewards points you earn.
The Diamond Resorts International MasterCard offers a sign-up bonus of 2,500 points after making your first purchase on the card. You’ll also receive 0% APR for the first six months on any Diamond Vacation Ownership down payment, plus interest-free financing for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 of opening the account. After those introductory periods, a variable APR will apply.
What You Get
- 2,500 points after making your first purchase
- 500 bonus points for every $2,000 spent, excluding timeshare down payments and maxing out at 5,000 bonus points total
- 0% APR for 6 months on any Diamond Vacation Ownership down payment
- 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers occurring within 45 days of account opening
- 2 points per dollar for Diamond Resorts purchases
- No annual fee
Diamond Plus Points do not expire as long as your account is kept open.
What is the value of the Diamond Resorts International® Rewards Points?
Each Diamond Plus Point is worth one cent, so your 2,500 points sign-up bonus is worth $19 . Points can be redeemed for statement credits toward Diamond Resorts International purchases, or for airfare and car rentals through the Diamond Resorts International Rewards website.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPP:
The Best Ways to Redeem Points
The best way to use your points is by redeeming them for travel through the Diamond Resorts International website. You have the option of buying airfare, paying for car rentals or making purchases with Diamond Resorts International. This will maximize the value of your points at one cent each.
Desert Isle of Palm SpringsPalm Springs, CA ·Points price23,687pointsDollars price/Night$236
Daytona Beach RegencyDaytona Beach, FL ·Points price13,900pointsDollars price/Night$139
Desert Paradise ResortLas Vegas, NV ·Points price17,900pointsDollars price/Night$179
Palazzo CatalaniSoriano Nel Cimino, Italy ·Points price3,752pointsDollars price/Night$37
Grand LeonikiRethymnon, Crete, Greece ·Points price2,931pointsDollars price/Night$29
La Résidence NormandeSous-les-Monts, Connelles, France ·Points price5,862pointsDollars price/Night$58
Other ways you can redeem points
Car Rental3 partners3 partners
You can redeem your Diamond Plus Points for car rentals through the Diamond Resorts International Website.
Everyday Earnings with Diamond Resorts International® MasterCard®
The Diamond Resorts International card offers two points per dollar spent on Diamond Resorts purchases, excluding down payments, and one point per dollar for all other purchases. Additionally, for every $2,000 in spending, also excluding down payments, you will receive a 500 points bonus. That spending bonus maxes out at 5,000 points.
- Car Rental
- Diamond Resorts purchases
- All Other Purchases
Since the Diamond Resorts card isn’t a true travel card, it doesn't really offer any travel benefits. Here’s what you need to know if you plan to travel with this card:
Get personal assistance via telephone, including recommendations and reservations for dining, hotels, travel, entertainment and more.
Foreign Transaction Fee
You’ll pay a 3 percent for each transaction made abroad.
Fees: the cost of Having Diamond Resorts International® MasterCard®
Since the Diamond Resorts International card doesn’t have an annual fee, you don’t need to spend anything in order to pay for the card. Any rewards you earn are a net profit. The card offers a bonus of 2,500 points worth $19 . You will need to make just one purchase in order to earn those points.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37 Variable±
The Diamond Resorts International MasterCard is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Foreign Transaction Fees-$0
Rewards Earned Second Year$179
Top 5 Benefits of the Diamond Resorts International MasterCard
The Diamond Resorts International MasterCard is pretty simple in terms of the benefits it offers. Here are the top five benefits of the card:
- No Annual Fee: You’ll never have to pay anything for this card. That means all the rewards you earn are essentially free.
- Simple Redemptions: As long as you redeem your points for travel through the Diamond Resorts International Travel Portal, you’ll receive a full one cent per point in value. It’s not necessary to worry about how to maximize your points.
- Sign-Up Bonus: While it’s not a large sign-up bonus, you can earn 2,500 points, worth $19 , after making just one purchase on your card.
- 0% APR on Diamond Resorts Ownership Down Payments: For the first six months you have the card, you’ll receive 0% APR for any Diamond Resorts Ownership down payment you make
- Bonus Points for Every $2,000 Spent: Every time you spend $2,000 on your Diamond Resorts credit card, you’ll receive a bonus of 500 points.
Should You Get the Diamond Resorts International MasterCard?
Overall, the Diamond Resorts International credit card isn’t a great choice for almost anybody. While it does offer some benefits, there are other cards out there that offer more. No matter what you spend your money on, how much you spend or how you like to use your points, there’s probably a better option out there.
If you are a Diamond Resorts customer about to make a big down payment on a timeshare, you might find value in this card’s 0% APR offer. However, that offer is only for six months, and there are other cards available that offer 0% APR on new purchases for a year or more.
That said, since this card has no annual fee, there’s not much harm in getting it. You will earn the $19 sign-up bonus after the first purchase and you don’t need to spend anything in order to make it worth keeping the card long term.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
What kind of credit score do I need to be approved for the Diamond Resorts International credit card?Most people who are successfully approved for the Diamond Resorts International credit card report having a credit score of 680 or higher. Keep in mind that Barclays will evaluate your entire application, so you may get approved with a lower credit score or you may be denied with a higher credit score.
- Yes, the minimum redemption is $50, or 5,000 points. Keep spending until you get there! Once you have 5,000 points or more, you’ll be able to redeem them for one cent each for Diamond Resort International purchases, airfare and car rentals.
- Redemptions must be made within 120 days of the purchase. Just go to the Barclaycard website, log in and request a redemption toward that qualifying purchase. You’ll receive a statement credit good for that amount.Remember that you have to have at least 5,000 points in your account before you can redeem. Each point is worth a penny, so you’ll have to redeem for something worth at least $50.
- No, you don’t have to redeem all of your points at the same time. You need to have an eligible purchase, and you can redeem up to that number of points. However, you can also choose to redeem a smaller number of points and pay for the rest with your card.
Before you decide whether or not the Diamond Resorts International credit card is right for you, let’s take a quick look at a couple of other travel credit cards issued by Barclays.
Other Barclays Hotel Rewards cards
Barclays issues both the Choice Privileges Visa Signature card and the Wyndham Rewards Visa card. The Choice Privileges card offers a sign-up bonus of 32,000 points after making $1,000 in purchases in the first three months. It has no annual fee.
In terms of earning points for everyday spending, you can pick up a whopping 15 points per dollar spent at eligible Choice Privileges locations, five points per dollar for Choice Privileges gift cards or points, and 2 points per dollar for all other purchases.
Additionally, you’ll have the option to earn 8,000 anniversary bonus points every year that you spend at least $10,000. You will also get a 10 percent bonus every time you purchase a stay with Choice Hotels, plus complimentary Gold elite status.
The Wyndham credit card offers a sign-up bonus of 15,000 points after the first purchase and doesn’t charge an annual fee. You’ll be able to earn three points per dollar at participating Wyndham hotels and Wyndham Vacation Rental North America properties and for on-property spending and maintenance fees at Wyndham timeshare properties. You’ll also get two points per dollar for gas, utilities and groceries. All other purchases earn a point per dollar. You’ll receive complimentary Gold elite status, and there are no foreign transaction fees.
When deciding which card is the best for you, consider how you like to use your points. Of these three options, the Diamond Resorts International card offers the most flexible but not necessarily the most valuable points. The points earned from the Choice and Wyndham credit cards can only be used at their respective hotels, though you’ll earn points faster with those cards and potentially get more value from them.
Compare the Diamond Resorts MasterCard to Other Cards
In addition to looking at other cards issued by Barclays, let’s compare the Diamond Resorts International card to a couple of hotel cards issued by other banks.
Again, the Hilton and Club Carlson cards are less flexible than the Diamond Resorts card, but they also offer more value. As long as you often stay with a specific hotel chain, you’d probably be better off with one of those cards instead of the Diamond Resorts MasterCard.
The Hilton Honors card from American Express offers a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership. You’ll be able to earn seven points per dollar at eligible hotels and resorts within the Hilton portfolio, five points per dollar at restaurants, supermarkets and gas stations, and three points per dollar for all other purchases. Additionally, cardholders will receive complimentary Hilton Honors Silver elite status. It has no annual fee.
The Club Carlson card offers a sign-up bonus of 30,000 points and has a $0 annual fee. You’ll be able to earn 3 points per dollar at participating Carlson Rezidor hotels and 1 points per dollar for all other purchases. It also offers complimentary Silver status to all cardholders, plus a 25,000 points bonus every year you renew your card.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Diamond Resorts International MasterCard, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- 0% promotional APR for six billing cycles from the transaction date on all "Qualifying Diamond Resorts International® Vacation Ownership Purchases"
- Ongoing APR:
- 15.99% to 22.99% Variable±
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Diamond Resorts International credit card offers standard security features, including:
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- $0 Fraud Liability Protection:
- You’re not responsible for unauthorized charges that are reported.
Barclays offers a mobile banking app so you can monitor the activity on your Diamond Resorts International card while you’re on the go. The Diamond Resorts International card is also compatible with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Diamond Resorts MasterCard isn’t a premium travel card with a lot of additional benefits. Nevertheless, here are the additional benefits that are offered by the card:
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Roadside Dispatch:
- Call 1-800-MC-ASSIST for roadside assistance, including lockout service, towing, jumpstart and gas delivery. Service charges apply.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- When planning travel over 100 miles from home, you have access to services that will provide pre-trip assistance, including information about immunizations and visa/passport requirements. While away from home, MasterCard can assist you with lost or stolen travel documents, lost luggage, hospital transfers and referrals to physicians, attorneys, consulates and local embassies.