- for Choice Privileges® users75
- for Frequent Flyers72
- for Everyday use60
Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Credit Card
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature card is a great option for anyone who frequently stays with Choice Hotels. It’s even a solid card for someone just looking for a couple of free hotel nights a year. The Choice Privileges card doesn’t charge an annual fee, and it offers a whopping 15 points per dollar spent at Choice Hotels. Cardholders also earn five points per dollar for gift card and point purchases from Choice and two points per dollar for all other purchases.
All Choice Visa cardholders will receive complimentary Gold elite status and the ability to earn 32,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within the first three months of having the card. Overall, this is a decent card for even the occasional traveler, especially since it doesn’t have an annual fee.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card offers and the value of the Barclays Choice Privileges® Rewards points you earn.
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature offers a sign-up bonus of 32,000 points after spending at least $1,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Every year when you renew your card, you’ll receive 8,000 points as an anniversary bonus. Additionally, there’s a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening.
What You Get
- 32,000 points after spending 1,000 within the first 3 months
- 8,000 points every year you renew the card
- Elite Gold status with Choice Hotels
- 10% points bonus for Choice Hotel stays
- 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers that take place within the first 45 days
- 15 points per dollar with Choice Hotels
- 5 points per dollar for Choice Hotels gift card and points purchases
- 2 points per dollar for all other purchases
- No annual fee
Choice points expire in 18 months if there is no account activity. Both earning and redeeming count as activity, so even spending just $1 on your Choice credit card every 18 months will keep your points from expiring.
What is the value of the Choice Privileges® Rewards Points?
Choice points are worth different amounts depending on how they are used. As a general rule, you’ll want to use your Choice points on hotel nights that have high cash prices in order to maximize the value of your points. Choice has a few hotels in Scandinavia that are great uses of points because hotels in this region tend to be very expensive. As a general rule, if you are getting close to or more than one cent per point in value from your Choice Hotels points, you are getting great value.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPP:
The Best Ways to Redeem Choice Privileges Points
As mentioned above, it’s best to redeem your hotel points when cash prices are relatively high and point prices are relatively low, with a goal of getting close to one cent per point in value.
A few hotels that offer very good redemptions include: Comfort Hotel Diana in Venice, Italy and the Comfort Hotel Bolivar in Rome, Italy, for 10,000 points per night; Comfort Hotel Gardenia Sorrento Coast in Italy for 8,000 points per night; Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas in Roatan, Honduras, for 6,000 points per night; Clarion Collection Hotel Drott in Sweden for 8,000 points per night; Comfort Hotel Tokyo Kanda in Tokyo, Japan, for 8,000 points per night; Quality Suites Bela Cintra in Sao Paulo, Brazil, for 8,000 points per night.
Comfort Inn®Detroit, MI ·Points price12,000pointsDollars price/Night$123
Comfort Suites®Near Denver Downtown, Denver, CO ·Points price20,000pointsDollars price/Night$94
Cambria® hotel & suitesChicago Loop - Theatre District, Chicago, IL ·Points price16,000pointsDollars price/Night$132
Comfort Hotel® Paris La FayetteParis, France ·Points price10,000pointsDollars price/Night$60
Comfort Inn® North ShoreSydney, Australia ·Points price20,000pointsDollars price/Night$108
Clarion Hotel® Prague CityPrague, Czech Republic ·Points price10,000pointsDollars price/Night$125
Everyday Earnings with Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature card earns a whopping 15 points per dollar at eligible Choice hotels. It earns five points per dollar for the purchase of Choice Hotels’ points and gift cards. And you’ll earn two points per dollar for all other purchases.
Choice Privileges Visa Signature card Rewards
- Car Rental
- Choice Hotel points and gift cards
- Choice Hotel purchases
- All Other Purchases
The Choice Hotels credit card doesn’t offer many travel benefits.
Foreign Transaction Fee
You’ll be charged 3% of each transaction made abroad.
Provides personal assistance via phone, including recommendations and reservations for dining, travel, hotel, entertainment and more.
Earn Elite Status Fast
If you are a Choice Privileges Visa Signature cardholder, you will receive complimentary Elite Gold status as long as your card account is kept open. Gold status is normally earned after 10 nights in a calendar year. Some of the benefits of Gold status include: 10 percent bonus points for Choice stays; the ability to book stays 50 days before arrival in your country of residence and 60 days before arrival in other countries; and access to elite member offers and an elite reservation line.
- Cardholders get instant Elite Gold status with Choice Hotels
Fees: the cost of Having Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card
Since the Choice Privileges Visa Signature card doesn’t have an annual fee, you don’t have to spend anything in order to cover it. Any rewards you earn with this card are net profit.
Since the card offers a bonus of 32,000 points after meeting minimum spending requirements, you’re definitely coming out ahead the first year you have the card! If used well, those 32,000 points should be worth around $320 or more in hotel stays.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37 Variable±
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Choice Privileges Visa Signature
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature card is an amazing option for people who stay at Choice Hotels on a regular basis, and it can even be a good choice for someone who only needs a few free hotel nights a year. Here are the top five benefits of the card.
- Great Earning Potential: You’ll get crazy bonus points or purchases at Choice Hotels — a whopping 15 points per dollar! You’ll also earn 5 points per dollar on Choice point and gift card purchases and two points per dollar for all other purchases.
- Automatic Elite Gold Status: As long as you’re a cardholder, you’ll have Gold status with Choice Hotels. It gives you bonus points, a larger reward night booking window and more.
- Solid Sign-Up Bonus: This card comes with a sign-up bonus of 32,000 points. That can get you more than five free nights at some Choice properties!
- No Annual Fee: You’ll never have to pay anything for this card. That means all the rewards you earn are essentially free.
- 0% Introductory APR: Get 0% APR on balance transfers made within your first 45 days as a cardholder.
Should You Get the Choice Privileges Visa Signature?
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature is a really solid option for anyone who’s a regular at Choice Hotels because those stays will earn a whopping 15 points per dollar. If you’re not a regular, you should first consider whether you are willing to stay at Choice Hotels and if they are in locations that you are interested in traveling. If so, the card might still be a good option because it offers two points per dollar spent on all purchases.
If you are not interested in staying at Choice Hotels or are planning on traveling to locations that do not have Choice Hotels properties, this Visa Signature card is likely not a good fit for you. The points are not very flexible and cannot be used for airline tickets or for stays at other hotels. There’s no sense in earning Choice points if you can’t use them.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Most applicants who are approved report having a credit score of 690 or higher. Keep in mind that even if your credit score is higher, it’s not a guarantee that you’ll be approved. Likewise, if your credit score is lower, it is still possible that you will be approved. Barclays will evaluate your entire application before approving or denying you for the card.
- Yes, you can buy Choice gift cards with your Choice credit card. In fact, you will earn five points per dollar whenever you use your credit card to buy Choice gift cards!
- It is unlikely that you will be able to convert your Choice credit card to another card that is issued by Barclays. If you’re interested in another Barclays card, you should just apply for it. Since the Choice card doesn’t have an annual fee, there is no reason to worry about keeping it.
- You don’t have to redeem all of your Choice points at the same time. You can choose how many nights you want to stay at any Choice hotel and only redeem the number of points necessary for those nights.
Before you apply for the Choice Privileges Visa card, let’s take a quick look at a couple of other credit cards offered by Barclays.
Other Barclays Hotel Rewards cards
Of these three options, the Diamond Resorts International MasterCard offers the most flexible redemptions, but the worst earning potential. You can redeem your Diamond Plus points for car rentals, flights or Diamond Resorts stays, but you’ll only earn one point per dollar spent on all purchases and the sign-up bonus is a small 2,500 points worth $19.
The Wyndham card, like the Choice Privileges card, will earn you points that are only valid for Wyndham stays. It offers a sign-up bonus of 15,000 points, which is enough for one night at any Wyndham property worldwide. You’ll earn three points per dollar for participating hotel stays, two points per dollar for gas, utility and grocery store purchases, and one point per dollar for all other purchases.
If you are okay with earning hotel points that can only be used at that specific hotel brand, you should look at the locations that you want to travel to and determine which hotel program has a better footprint. If you are looking for more flexible rewards, the Diamond Resorts credit card might be a better option.
Compare Choice Privileges Visa Signature Credit Card to Other Cards
In addition to looking at other Barclays credit cards, let’s compare the Choice Privileges Visa to a couple other hotel credit cards issued by other banks.
When comparing the IHG Rewards Club Select, Marriott Rewards Premier and Choice Privileges credit cards, it makes sense to only consider the hotel brands that you are willing and likely to stay with. IHG, Marriott and Choice points can only be used at their respective hotels. SPG points, however, can be used at SPG hotels and transferred to a large number of airline partners.
The Marriott credit card offers a sign-up bonus of 100,000 points. It earns 6 points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels, 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, car rental agencies and on airline tickets, and 2 point per dollar for all other purchases.
The IHG credit card offers a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points and offers 5 points per dollar spent at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar at restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores, and 1 point per dollar for all other purchases.
The SPG card offers a sign-up bonus of 75,000 points and offers 6 points per dollar spent on purchases at Starwood hotels and 2 point per dollar for all other purchases.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Choice Privileges Visa Signature card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa Signature card.
- Intro APR:
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Ongoing APR:
- 16.74% to 26.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.74% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Choice Privileges Visa Signature card offers standard security features, including:
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- $0 Fraud Liability:
- You’re not responsible for any unauthorized charges made to your card.
Barclaycard offers a mobile banking app so you can monitor your spending while you’re on the go. Additionally, the Choice Privileges Visa Signature card is compatible with Apple Pay, Samsun Pay and Android Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
In addition to the benefits listed above, you also have access to the following with your Choice Privileges Visa Signature card:
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $250,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your card.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Legal and medical referrals, and other travel and emergency assistance is available any time of day. Service charges apply.