Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature® Credit Card
You’ll have to frequently cruise with Celebrity to reap the most rewards out of the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature card. While the first year’s bonuses and discounts more than offset the $69 annual fee, finding enough value to keep the card for subsequent years may be a challenge.
Cardholders who can spend $10,000 the first year, including $5,000 in the first 90 days, will realize the most benefit with a 10,000 points sign-up bonus and a 10,000 points anniversary bonus. If you spend all of that on Celebrity Cruises, you’d get an additional 20,000 points, for a total of 40,000 points worth about $400.
A $300 cruise discount, a $50 airfare credit, plus reduced pricing on beverage packages and specialty dining also help justify getting the card. As is the case with most co-branded cruise line cards, a travel credit card earning 2 percent on all purchases and offering decent cruise redemption values could be a better choice.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature® Credit Card offers and the value of the Bank of America MyCruise® Rewards points you earn.
The frequent Celebrity cruiser will be happy with the first-year benefits of the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature card. You’ll jump start your earning with 10,000 points just for making your first purchase and continue to earn two points per dollar spent with Celebrity Cruises. Earn a $300 cruise discount when you spend $5,000 in the first 60 days and 10,000 points at your card anniversary when spending $10,000 in the first 12 statement cycles. Discounts continue with a $50 airfare credit and reduced pricing for beverage packages and specialty dining.
What You Get
- Earn 10,000 MyCruise points after your first purchase within 90 days
- $300 cruise discount after spending $5,000 in the first 2 months
- 10,000 points after spending $10,000 in a year
- $50 airfare credit whenever you book a flight in conjunction with your cruise
- 10% off premium beverage packages and 50% off a companion specialty dining pass
- 2 points per dollar spent with Celebrity Cruises
One downside of Celebrity Cruises MyCruise points is that they expire in 60 months regardless of activity on the account, so you must be prepared to redeem your points within the allotted timeframe.
What is the value of the MyCruise® Rewards Points?
Nearly all of the redemption options offered in the Celebrity Cruises MyCruise Rewards program result in a value of once cent per point. Your 10,000 points sign-up bonus, for example, is good for $100 towards onboard purchases, including shore excursions. There are a few redemption options on the MyCruise Rewards chart, however, that offer a value greater than one cent per point.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price by the number of points of an equivalent award costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
How we calculate CPP:
The Best Ways to Redeem MyCruise Points
Points can be redeemed on Celebrity Cruise Lines as well as partner cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean and Azamara Club Cruises. Normally points can be redeemed for one cent each. However, for 50,000 points you can purchase a 3- to 4-night cruise on Royal Caribbean (Celebrity’s sister cruise line) for two persons, which is worth up to $1,000 and realizes a value of two cents per point.
For 350,000 points you can purchase a 7-night cruise for two persons on Royal Caribbean or Azamara, which is worth up to $7,000 and also offers a value of two cents per point. Since MyCruise points expire after 60 months, you’ll want to plan ahead for redemptions to avoid forfeiting your points.
Popular Celebrity Cruise Destinations
San Diego, California, US - Vancouver, B.C., CanadaPacific Coastal CruiseMiles price269,099pointsDollars price$2,690
Seattle, Washington, US - Seattle, Washington, USAlaska Tracy Arm Fjord CruiseMiles price196,061pointsDollars price$1,960
Cape Liberty, New Jersey, US - Cape Liberty, New Jersey, USIndependence Day CruiseMiles price341,905pointsDollars price$3,419
Miami, Florida, US - Dublin, IrelandAzores & Ireland TransatlanticMiles price284,671pointsDollars price$2,846
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US - Southampton, UKTrade Winds TransatlanticMiles price204,321pointsDollars price$2,043
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US - Rome (Civitavecchia), ItalyWestern Europe TransatlanticMiles price230,584pointsDollars price$2,305
Everyday Earnings with Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature® Credit Card
Since the Celebrity Cruises Visa card earns just one cent per dollar for everyday purchases, the card does not offer good earning potential for most expenses. If you use your card to buy from Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean or Azamara Club, you’ll get two points per dollar.
- Car Rental
- Celebrity Cruise purchases
- All Other Purchases
Purchases made with Celebrity’s sister cruise lines, Royal Caribbean and Azamara Club, also earn two points per dollar.
The Celebrity Cruises Visa card comes with Visa Signature level travel benefits. In addition, purchases abroad do not incur foreign transaction fees.
Get a $50 credit towards airfare whenever you book a flight in conjunction with a Celebrity Cruise.
Beverage and Dining Discount
Premium beverage packages get 10% off, and a companion specialty dining pass gets 50% off.
Visa Concierge Service
Receive assistance with restaurant reservations, tour recommendations and traveling planning.
Receive invitations to exclusive events and enjoy perks at Luxury Hotel Collections properties.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
Use your card for your purchases abroad as no foreign transaction fees will be charged.
Fees: the cost of Having Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature® Credit Card
The Celebrity Cruises Visa card charges a fee of $69 each year. Spending $6,900 each year will cover the cost of the card. If you spend about $2,000 a month you’ll pay off the card in approximately 4.0 months.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $38
See What It Takes to Cover an Annual Fee:
We strongly recommend to spend not less than $2,300 per months to cover the annual fee in three months.
We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings you’ll get with the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature credit card. Is the card worth getting, and should you keep it after you get the sign-up bonus? Let’s find out.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Credit Card
The Celebrity Cruises Visa card offers a decent sign-up bonus and the opportunity to earn additional points at card renewal. You’ll also receive discounts on airfare, dining and future cruises.
- Decent Sign-Up Bonus: This card comes with a sign-up bonus of 10,000 points, worth $100 towards cruising and perks.
- Cruise Discounts: Receive a $300 certificate towards a future cruise after spending $5,000 in the first 60 days after card issue.
- Anniversary Bonus Points: Receive 10,000 bonus points at card anniversary after spending $10,000 in a year.
- $50 Off Airfare: Book a flight in conjunction with a Celebrity cruise and receive $50 off.
- Beverage and Dining Discounts: Receive 10% off premium beverage packages and 50% off a companion specialty dining pass.
Should You Get the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Credit Card?
The benefits of the Celebrity Cruises Visa card are directed at the frequent cruiser who is also a big spender on Celebrity. The only way to justify the $69 annual fee is to gain enough benefit from the discounts and bonus points to offset the fee. This might be possible the first year you own the card, but it will be more difficult in subsequent years.
If you’re not cruising regularly, you shouldn’t be considering this card. If you are an avid cruiser on Celebrity and you spend enough on an annual basis to qualify for the perks, you might find value in the card. However, you may do better with a general travel credit card that earns at least two cents per dollar on all purchases or offers better redemption values.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Once you’ve earned MyCruise points, they will be deposited into your MyCruise Rewards account and available for redemption. You can access the rewards redemption center either from the Bank of America online banking app or via the MyCruise Rewards website. There you can view your points balance and select a cruise award.You will need to select your reward at least seven days prior to sailing, then call Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Club Cruises to complete the booking. Points can be redeemed for cruise discounts, companion fares, cruise vacations, onboard credits or amenities, merchandise or even charitable donations. Redemptions start at 1,000 points for a charitable donation and at 5,000 points for onboard cruise amenities. You can redeem 50,000 points for a 3- or 4-night cruise for two persons.
- Because MyCruise points are only valid for a period of 60 months after they are deposited into your account, you should have plans to book a cruise within that time frame. After the 60th month, points will start expiring beginning with the points that were deposited first. If you or Celebrity Cruises closes your MyCruise Rewards account, all remaining points in that account will be forfeited.
- If you cruise and spend often on Celebrity Cruises you may realize enough value to offset the annual fee. The first year is the easiest as you will receive 10,000 bonus points after your first purchase within the first 60 days. The value of this bonus is $100, so that more than offsets the annual fee.Additionally, if you spend $5,000 in the first 60 days, you’ll receive a $300 voucher towards a seven-night cruise, and spending $10,000 in the first 12 statement cycles earns another 10,000 bonus points. Discounts on airfare, dining and beverage packages are ongoing, but you’ll need to utilize these discounts in subsequent years to make the card even remotely worth keeping.
Other Bank of America Cruise cards
Each of the co-branded cruise credit cards listed below earns at least two points per dollar spent on their respective cruise lines, but all of these cards offer poor earning for everyday spending at only one point per dollar. Norwegian fares better at three points per dollar spent on their cruise lines. Also, redemptions may be limited on these cards to their respective cruise lines and cruise line partners.
|Royal Caribbean Visa Signature® Credit Card||Norwegian Cruise Line® World Mastercard®|
|Sign-up bonus||10,000 points||10,000 points||10,000 points|
|APR On Purchases||14.24% to 24.24% Variable±||13.99% to 23.99% Variable±||13.99% to 23.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$240||$240||$320|
When it comes to sign-up bonuses, all of these cards are created equal with their 10,000 points offerings. You’ll also find that when redeeming your points, each card offers the same general redemption value of one cent per point towards respective cruise lines purchases. You are also limited to cruise redemptions with all of these cards.
If you’re going to select a co-branded cruise credit card, it would make sense to get a card with no annual fee unless you can offset that fee with something of value. The Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature is the only card above that has an annual fee, but it does offer various discounts and bonus points for big spenders who are frequent cruisers. Others will find it difficult to realize enough value to justify the $69 fee.
If you’re not going to spend at least $10,000 per year and take at least one cruise, you won’t be maximizing the rewards of the card. Even if you can, you may do better with a general travel credit card offering better earning or more lucrative redemptions.
Compare the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Credit Card to Other Cards
Earning potential among co-branded cruise credit cards is pretty standard at two points for each dollar spent on the corresponding cruise line and one point per dollar for all other purchases. All of the cards below offer sign-up bonuses that translate into a value of $50 to $100. When you look at redemption levels, you’ll find that one cent per point is also pretty standard. However, when you redeem your points for a more expensive cruise, you’ll find that some cards offer greater value.
When you look at sign-up bonuses, two of the cards are offering 10,000 points, while the Holland American Line Rewards Visa and the Princess Cruises Rewards cards offer only 5,000. However, if you utilize the balance transfer option and transfer a balance from another credit card within the first 30 days of having the Holland America Visa or the Princess Cruises Rewards cards, you can earn up to an additional 5,000 points.
Comparing the value of points at redemption time, all cards offer at least one cent per point for onboard spending and cruise discounts. Additionally, all of the cards have tiered redemption levels where you can earn 1.5 to 2.5 cents per point toward cruises of over $1,500. The Holland America Line Rewards Visa Card for example, offers the highest value of 2.5 cents per point when redeeming on cruises that cost $4,001 or higher.
All of these cards have no annual fee except the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature Card. It markets itself as a premium card and charges $69 a year. For that fee, you’ll receive ongoing dining and beverage discounts, a $50 credit for airfare, 10,000 anniversary points for spending $10,000 and a $300 cruise discount after spending $5,000 in the first 60 days. Whether there are enough ongoing benefits to offset the annual fee depends on how many of the bonuses you utilize. You’ll probably need to be an avid Celebrity cruiser and spend at least $10,000 in the first year to really justify the cost of the card.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa Signature card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 13.99% to 23.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- For eligible warranties that are less than 3 years in length, an extra year of coverage is provided.
- Purchase Protection:
- Your eligible purchases are covered for theft, fire and vandalism for up to 90 days and up to $500 per item.
- ShopSafe Protection:
- Free service that provides a temporary card number while shopping online for an extra layer of security.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 25.99% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Direct Deposit and Check Cash Advances: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater. ATM, Over-the-Counter, Same-Day Online and Cash Equivalent Cash Advances: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
Monitor and manage your account with custom alerts, mobile banking and electronic statements. You’ll also have the peace of mind knowing your transactions are secure with chip technology.
- Account alerts:
- Set up personal alerts to be notified if unusual transactions are made on your account, you’re approaching your credit limit or to be alerted when your bill is due.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the Bank of America mobile banking app.
- Chip Technology:
- Make secure transactions at chip-enabled terminals worldwide.
- Secure Paperless Statements:
- Opt to receive your statements electronically.
Manage your account securely from anywhere and at any time with the Bank of America Mobile banking app. You’ll also enjoy the convenience of secure digital payments.
- Digital Payments:
- The Celebrity Cruises Visa can conveniently be used with Apple Pay, Android Pay and Samsung Pay.
- Bank of America Mobile Banking App:
- Download the IOS or Android app to your smartphone and access your account on the go.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Celebrity Cruises card comes with Visa Signature level travel benefits and free educational credit management tools.
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Free FICO Scores:
- Cardholders receive free access to monthly FICO scores and educational credit-management tools.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Decline the rental car company’s coverage and charge the entire rental to your Celebrity Cruises Visa Signature card. Coverage for theft and collision is provided secondary to your personal insurance in the U.S. and is primary while abroad.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- If you or your immediate family experience lost or damaged luggage, you may receive up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Roadside Assistance:
- Get referral services for lockouts, towing, jumpstarts or gas delivery. Cardholder is responsible for service charges.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your card.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Emergency legal, travel and medical referral assistance is provided. The additional fees incurred for actual services are the responsibility of the cardholder.