BP® Visa® Credit Card
However, these returns are based on the best redemption rates, which you’ll get for a 20-gallon fill up. If you have a car with a smaller gas tank, or if you redeem for cash back instead of gas, you will not be able to earn these maximum values.
If you opt to get cash back in the form of a statement credits, you’ll essentially be earning at a lower rate. You’ll get 2.25 percent cash back for travel, dining and groceries, 3.75 percent cash back for BP purchases and just.75 percent cash back for all other purchase.
Overall, if you frequently gas up at BP, and you have a car with a large tank or are okay with getting 3.75 percent cash back, then the BP credit card may be worth adding to your wallet. There could be better options, though, depending on your spending patterns. Many cashback cards offer more flexibility in terms of both redemptions and earning.
Features and Benefits
The BP Visa offers some solid features and benefits for a gas station credit card. For the first 90 days you have the card, you’ll earn one fill up with a 25-cent-per-gallon discount for every $100 you spend on your BP credit card, excluding purchases made at non-BP gas stations.
This effectively functions as a sign-up bonus for this card, but the size of the bonus depends on how much you use the card. Purchases must post to your account within 90 days of account opening to be eligible for this offer, and each discounted fill up you earn can only be used for a single gas purchase of up to 20 gallons.
What You Get
- 25 cents off per gallon for up to a 20 -gallon fill up for every $100 spent in the first 90 days
- 25 cents off per gallon for every $100 spent at BP after the first 90 days
- 15 cents off per gallon for every $100 spent on groceries, dining and travel
- 5 cents off per gallon for every $100 spent everywhere else
- No annual fee
Rewards can be redeemed at most BP locations. Rewards expire 365 days after the end of the month in which they are earned. After 90 days, you’ll continue to earn rewards, but not quite as quickly. These rewards can really add up, especially considering that the BP Visa credit card doesn’t have an annual fee.
The BP Visa credit card does not offer any special financing.
In addition to the rewards earned through your BP Visa credit card, you can sign up for Driver Rewards for free and earn an additional 10 cents off per gallon for every $100 spent on BP gas.
How Much Will You Earn?
When you spend money on your BP credit card, you’ll earn rewards that are good for discounts on gas purchases at BP. For every $100 spent in BP purchases, you’ll earn a discount worth $0.25 per gallon. For every $100 spent on grocery, dining and travel purchases, you’ll earn a discount worth $0.15 per gallon. For every $100 spent on other purchases, excluding purchases at non-BP gas stations, you’ll earn a discount worth $0.05 per gallon.
The total value of these discounts really depends on how much gas you put in your tank when you go to fill up. Each discount is valid for a maximum of 20 gallons. That means that for $100 of spending at BP gas stations, you can earn a maximum of $5.00 off gas, equating to a maximum of 5 percent back. For $100 of spending on travel, dining and groceries, you can earn a maximum of $3.00 off gas, equating to 3 percent return. All other purchases will get you a maximum of $1.00 off per gallon, or 1 percent back.
It is also possible to redeem your rewards for a statement credit at a lower rate. The maximum rate for regular purchases redeemed this way is 0.75 percent back; for travel, dining and grocery purchases, it is 2.25 percent back; and for BP purchases, it is 3.75 percent cash back.
Should You Get the BP Visa Credit Card?
The BP Visa is a good option for those who regularly purchase gas at BP because you can earn up to 5 percent back on your gas purchases. To earn the maximum amount back, you need to be able to fill up your gas tank with 20 gallons, so this also is generally a better credit card for someone with a car that has a large gas tank. If your car only has a 10-gallon tank, you won’t be able to maximize the discount, and you’ll earn a maximum of 2.5 percent back for gas purchases. That’s still better than most straight cashback cards.
The BP credit card also offers solid rewards on groceries, travel and dining, so it doesn’t even need to be a dedicated gas card. Outside of those purchase categories, the BP credit card isn’t a very good option because earning a maximum of 1 percent back can be beat quite easily with other credit cards. And if you shop for gas at stores other than BP, the BP credit card will offer nothing back on those purchases.
You can also redeem rewards for statement credits at a lower rate, which might make sense if you have a car with a tank that’s smaller than 15 gallons. You’ll get 2.25 percent cash back for travel, dining and groceries, 3.75 percent back for BP purchases and .75 percent cash back for all other purchase.
Even though the BP credit card is a fairly good option if you frequently gas up at BP and have a fairly large gas tank, there are other cards that might offer the same amount of cash back or more. Plus, they’ll be more flexible. It is definitely worth looking into some of these options before applying for the BP credit card. We’ll look at a few below.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- The BP card is issued as a Visa, so it can be used anywhere Visa is accepted—which is nearly everywhere.
- Since the BP card is a credit card, you don’t have to pay off the balance in full each month. However, you will be charged interest if you decide to carry a balance. Interest fees will also apply to purchases made in the following months until your balance is paid off. Since this card has a high interest rate, it’s not a good option if you think you’ll need to carry a balance.
- Yes, you can redeem your rewards from the BP credit card for cash back as a statement credit, but the maximum rate you will get is lower than if you redeem your rewards for gas discounts. If you redeem for a statement credit, the maximum rates you will get are 0.75 percent back for regular purchases, 2.25 percent for travel, dining and grocery purchases, and 3.75 percent for BP purchases.
- BP rewards expire 365 days after the month in which the rewards were earned. Bonus rewards may have a shorter expiration date, which is determined by the specific bonus rewards promotion.
- Rewards are available for use within 24 hours of the registration date. The availability of bonus rewards depends on the specific promotion in which you earn said bonus rewards. When you choose to redeem your rewards at the pump, the price per gallon will be displayed on the dispenser and will be decreased by the maximum amount of available rewards in one-cent increments down to a minimum of 10.9 cents per gallon. Redemptions below this cost are not possible.Rewards can be redeemed for a one-time fill up, to a maximum of 20 gallons for each fuel purchase transaction. Any unused rewards are forfeited. Any additional rewards will roll over to your next fuel purchase, subject to expiration of the rewards.
- Most applicants who are approved for the BP credit card indicate that they have a credit score of 670 or higher. That said, if you have a lower score, you could still be approved, and if you have a higher score, you could still be denied. Your entire application will be evaluated before a decision is reached.Having a higher credit score will help you get a lower interest rate, but that only matters if you plan to carry a balance on this card. If you do, there are other cards out there that are better options.
Many other gas stations offer credit cards, so let’s take a quick look at a couple of other gas cards on the market. We’ll compare the Shell, QuikTrip and Exxon Mobil cards.
Other Gas cards
|QuikTrip® Credit Card|
|Sign-up bonus||100 points||$0|
|APR On Purchases||26.74% Variable±||27.99% 27.99%|
|Second Year Value||$1,200||$12|
The QuikTrip credit card offers one point per dollar spent on QuikTrip purchases. It can only be used at QuikTrip, not at other stores. This card also will give you a three-cent discount per gallon on QuikTrip fuel purchases.
Some Alternative Cards for BP Shoppers
Before you apply for the BP credit card, there are a handful of other credit cards that you should take a look at. Spoiler alert: there’s a very good chance that one of these cashback cards will better suit your needs than the BP credit card. Below we will compare the Discover it – Cashback Match card, Citi Double Cash card and Blue Cash from American Express.
- Discover it® - Cashback Match™
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash Card
1% cash back on purchases and 1% as you pay for those purchasesRead Review
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
$150 cashback bonus offerRead Review
Best Cashback Card
The best cashback card is Citi Double Cash. This card offers 1 percent back when you make purchases and another 1 percent back when you pay off your balance, for a total of 2.0 percent back on all purchases. While this isn’t as good as the BP card for purchases at BP gas stations, and it’s also a little bit less back for dining, travel and grocery store purchases, it will beat all other purchases by a full 1 percent or more.
Additionally, there’s nothing you need to worry about in terms of maximizing the cash back from the Citi Double Cash, so this card is a better option if you don’t want to worry about maxing out your fill ups or having to get your gas at BP in order to redeem your rewards.
Overall, the Citi Double Cash card will offer you way more flexibility than the BP card unless you often get your gas at BP and have a gas tank that is 20 gallons or more. The Citi Double Cash card does not have an annual fee.
Best Rotating Category Card
If you are okay with a little bit more complexity, the Discover it card is a great option. It offers 5.0 percent cashback categories that rotate every quarter, and at least one quarter is always gas. The 5.0 percent back is limited to $1,500 in purchases during that quarter, but you can always buy a gas station gift card if you won’t go through enough gas to max out the bonus for that quarter. Other quarters often include grocery stores, department stores and Amazon, just to name a few.
Better yet, Discover has a special offer going on where all cash back earned during the first year will be matched by Discover at the end of the year. This really means that for the first year the Discover it card effectively offers 10 percent cash back for the rotating bonus categories.
Depending on if you are able to utilize all of the 5 percent cashback categories with the Discover it card, it may or may not be a more rewarding option than the BP card. However, the rewards earned are more flexible, and if you can make use of at least two or three of the quarterly categories, it is likely that it would offer you more cash back than the BP card would. The Discover it card does not have an annual fee.
Get the Biggest Bonus
The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express offers a nice $150 sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 on purchases within the first three months. This card also offers 2.0 percent back at gas stations and select U.S. department stores, as well as 3.0 percent back at U.S. supermarkets for up to $6,000 in spending per year. You’ll get 1.0 percent back on all other purchases.
Between the sign-up bonus and bonus spending categories, this card beats the BP card unless you make a lot of purchases at BP. The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express does not have an annual fee.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the BP credit card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 27.99% 27.99%
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Your warranty for purchases made with your BP card can be extended for up to one year.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 29.99% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The BP credit card offers standard security features, including:
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Mobile Banking App:
- Track your account with the mobile app while you’re on the go.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Zero Fraud Liability:
- You’re never liable for fraudulent charges.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
In addition to the benefits already discussed, the BP Visa credit card offers a few more valuable benefits, including:
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your card.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- Legal and medical referrals, and other travel and emergency assistance is available any time of day. Service charges apply.
- Emergency Cash and Card Replacement:
- If you lose your card or your cash while traveling, you’ll have access to emergency card and cash replacement through your credit card.