Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
The Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express is a solid cashback card with no annual fee. It earns 3.0 percent back at supermarkets on the first $6,000 in annual spending and 2.0 percent back at gas stations and select department stores. All other purchases earn 1.0 percent cash back.
In addition to the rewards for spending, the Blue Cash Everyday card offers a 0% introductory APR period for purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months the account is open.
After meeting the minimum spending requirements, you’ll also earn a sign-up bonus of $150, which is sizable for a card without an annual fee. When it’s time to use your points, you can redeem for a statement credit at any time as long as you have at least $25 worth of rewards. Redemptions are only possible in $25 increments.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers and the value of the AMEX cashback you earn.
The Blue Cash Everyday card offers a sign-up bonus of $150 after spending $1,000 within the first three months of being a card member. The card also offers 0% APR for both purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
What You Get
- $150 after spending $1,000 within the first 3 months
- 0% APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- 3.0% back at grocery stores on up to $6,000 in purchases a year
- 2.0% back at gas stations and select department stores
- No annual fee
Your cashback rewards won’t expire as long as you keep your card account open.
What is the value of American Express Cash Rewards Points?
With the Blue Cash Everyday card, what you see is what you get. You’ll get at least 1.0 cent back for every dollar you spend, with the possibility of earning up to 3.0 cents per dollar for bonus categories. You’ll receive cash back in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for a statement credit.
The Best Ways to Redeem American Express Cashback
The best way to redeem cash back with the Blue Cash Everyday card is in the form of a statement credit. If you have $50 in Rewards Dollars, it’s worth a $50 statement credit. It’s that simple. Cash back can be redeemed in increments of $25, with a $25 minimum.
Other ways you can redeem cashback
Hotel Stays3 partners3 partners
You can use your statement credit to offset the cost of hotel stays. Hotel partners include: Choice Privileges®, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest.
Car Rental4 partners4 partners
You can use your statement credit to offset the cost of car rentals (Avis®, Hertz®, Enterprise Rent-A-Car®, etc).
Gift Cards64 partners64 partners
It is possible to redeem your Blue Cash Everyday Reward Dollars for gift cards (Athleta, AMC, Brooks Brothers, etc).
The best way to redeem your Reward Dollars from the Blue Cash Everyday card is in the form of cash back. You can use it for anything you want!
The Blue Cash Everyday card offers 3.0 percent cash back at U.S. supermarkets on the first $6,000 in annual purchases. After that, you’ll get the standard 1 percent back. You’ll also earn 2.0 percent back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores. All other purchases will earn 1.0% back.
- Car Rental
- Select department stores
- All Other Purchases
The Blue Cash Everyday card isn’t a true travel credit card, so it doesn’t offer many travel benefits.
Foreign Transaction Fee
You’ll pay a 2.7% fee for each transaction occuring outside the U.S.
Earn Elite Status Fast
The Blue Cash Everyday card doesn’t offer the ability to earn elite status fast with any airline or hotel program.
Fees: the cost of Having the Card
Since the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express doesn’t have an annual fee, you don’t have to spend anything in order to cover it. Everything you spend on this card will give you rewards that will help you come out ahead for the year. However, you should still keep in mind how much cash back you could earn by putting a purchase on a different card.
Since the Blue Case Everyday card offers a $150 sign-up bonus, you will definitely come out ahead the first year as long as you meet the minimum spending requirement.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- 2.7% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Fee
- Up to $38
Blue Cash Everyday from American Express is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Blue Cash Everyday Card
Blue Cash Everyday is a solid cashback credit card. Here are the top five benefits of the card:
- Great Earning Potential: You will earn 3.0% back at supermarkets on the first $6,000 spent each year, 2.0% back at gas stations and select department stores and 1.0% back for all other purchases.
- Hassle-Free Redemptions: Use your cash back for statement credits in $25 increments. You aren’t restricted to using your rewards for certain types of purchases.
- Big Sign-Up Bonus: This card comes with a big sign-up bonus of $150 after meeting minimum spending requirements.
- No Annual Fee: You’ll never have to pay anything for this card. That means all the rewards you earn are essentially free.
- 0% Introductory APR: You’ll get interest-free financing on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
Should You Get the Blue Cash Everyday Card?
The Blue Cash Everyday card is a pretty good option if you want to earn cash back. It doesn’t have an annual fee, and it offers bonus cash back for common spending categories, like gas and groceries. Keep in mind that the 3.0 percent cash back at supermarkets is capped at $6,000 in annual spending. After that, you will earn 1 percent at supermarkets.
If you have a big purchase coming up, this card is also a good option. The Blue Cash Everyday card offers 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months.
Since there’s no annual fee, it’s tough to go wrong with the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
What kind of credit score do I need to be approved for the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express?Most people who are approved for the Blue Cash Everyday card report having a credit score of 690 or higher. Keep in mind that even if your credit score is higher, it is not a guarantee that you will be approved. Similarly, you may be approved with a lower credit score.
- You need to redeem a minimum of $25 cash back. If you want to redeem more, you need to redeem in $25 increments. This means that only redemptions of $25, $50, $75, $100, etc are possible.
- You don’t have to redeem your cash back for travel purchases. You are able to redeem cash back rewards for a statement credit regardless of what types of purchases you have made.
- The current $150 sign-up bonus is a pretty good deal, especially considering that the card has no annual fee. We have seen a higher $200 bonus on this card before, but there is no guarantee that it will come back. If you are considering getting this card, you should consider the cash back you would miss out on by waiting for a higher sign-up bonus that might not come.
Before you apply for the Blue Cash Everyday card, it’s worth taking a look at a couple of other cards that are issued by American Express. The Blue Cash Everyday, Blue from American Express and Blue Cash Preferred all offer cashback rewards. The Blue Cash Preferred card is the only card with an annual fee.
Other American Express Cashback cards
The main difference between these three cards is how they earn rewards. Blue from American Express only earns one point per dollar spent on purchases and has no bonus categories.
The Blue Cash Preferred card has an annual fee, but it also offers more rewards for spending. It earns 6.0 percent back at supermarkets on the first $6,000 each year, 3.0 percent back at gas stations and select U.S. department stores and 1.0 percent back for all other purchases. Even considering the annual fee, it’s easy to see how the bonus spending categories for the Blue Cash Preferred card could add up to make it worth the added cost.
Before you decide which card you want to apply for, you should consider how much you spend in the bonus categories to see if it would make sense to pay a fee to earn more cash back.
Compare Blue Cash Everyday Credit Card to Other Cards
You should also consider credit cards issued by other banks. The Quicksilver Rewards card, Pink Ribbon BankAmericard Cash Rewards card and Barclaycard CashForward all offer some form of cash back rewards.
The Quicksilver card is tied for simplest and offers 1.5 percent back on all purchases. It has a $100 sign-up bonus and no annual fee.
The Barclaycard CashForward also offers 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases, but it has a bigger $200 sign-up bonus. It doesn’t have an annual fee, either.
The Pink Ribbon card offers 3.0 percent cash back on gas and 2.0 percent back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs on the first $2,500 in combined purchases each quarter. You’ll also get 1.0 percent back for all other purchases. It offers a $150 sign-up bonus and doesn’t charge an annual fee.
Between these cards, it is best to consider what categories you normally spend in and which card will earn the most rewards each year.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Amex card.
- Intro APR:
- 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months on balance transfers requested within 60 days of account opening
- Ongoing APR:
- 13.99% to 24.99% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- The length of your warranty can be matched for up to 1 additional year when you use your American Express card for eligible purchases that come with a warranty of 5 years or less. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per item and $50,000 per year.
- Purchase Protection:
- Items purchased with your Amex card are covered against damage and theft for 90 days.
- Return Protection:
- You may receive a refund if a merchant will not accept your return. Coverage is limited to 90 days from purchase and $300 per item, for up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year. Shipping and handling costs for the purchase will not be refunded.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The Blue Cash Everyday card offers standard security features, including the following:
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- EMV Chip + Signature Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Fraud Protection:
- You’re never liable for unauthorized purchases that you report to American Express.
American Express offers a mobile banking app so you can monitor your spending while you’re on the go. The Blue Cash Everyday card is also compatible with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
In addition to the benefits listed above, the Blue Cash Everyday card from American Express has a few more benefits for cardholders.
American Express Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance. Coverage is not available for rentals in Australia, Italy and New Zealand.
- Roadside Dispatch:
- You can get emergency services, like towing, changing a flat or boosting a battery, in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and USVI. Third-party service costs are your responsibility.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- This benefit provides coverage for accidental death and dismemberment while traveling on a common carrier if your entire fare has been charged to your Amex card.
- Global Assist Hotline:
- When you travel more than 100 miles from home, you have 24/7 access to medical, legal, financial or other select emergency coordination and assistance services. Card members are responsible for the costs charged by third-party service providers.