- for Belk Stores Customers92
- for Purchases76
- for Everyday Use66
Belk Credit Card Review: Should You Get It?
How often do you shop at department stores? And how often do you receive store credit card offers at checkout? I bet you often run into a cashier that attempts to entice you to apply. In many cases, store credit cards offer discounts on first-time purchases and continue to offer ongoing perks.
The Belk Rewards credit card targets consumers that frequently shop at Belk department stores. With a Belk Rewards card, you can save 20 percent off most purchases made in the first day of opening an account. Issued by Synchrony Bank, it also offers 1,000 bonus points upon signing up, plus frequent 15 percent discount offers on certain dates. The card is only good at Belk stores and on Belk.com.
The Belk Rewards card charges no annual fees, which makes it easy to keep in your wallet year after year. Receiving special discounts is great, but rewards are limited to Belk stores. If the department store is where you shop the most, you’ll benefit by holding this credit card. Let’s take a closer look at the Belk Rewards card and its benefits.
Belk Credit Card Features and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Belk Rewards Credit Card offers and the value of the Belk Rewards points you earn.
New Belk Rewards card members receive 20 percent off of their purchases made on the first day of being approved for the credit card—that’s all purchases made online or in-store. The discount is reduced to 15 percent on shoes and home purchases. Additionally, cardholders earn 1,000 Belk Reward points that can be redeemed for $10 toward a Belk purchase.
The Belk Rewards Program consists of three membership tiers: Belk, Belk Premier and Belk Elite. The tiers are achieved based on your annual spending. The higher your tier is, the more benefits you receive.
Belk members spend between $0 and $599 per year; Belk Premier members must spend between $600 and $1,499 per year; and Belk Elite members must spend at least $1,500 every calendar year to qualify for this status. The earning on the card depends on your membership tier.
The Belk card is free to sign up for and free to keep. Cardholders enjoy special discounts, receipt-free returns and early access to in-store events.
What You Get
- Receive 15 to 20 percent off first-day purchases
- $10 in Belk Reward Dollars for every 1,000 points earned
- 20 Exclussive savings events each year
- Cardholder savings
- No annual fee
The Belk card does not offer any special financing to cardholders. Actually, the Annual Percentage Rate is high at 25.49% Variable±, and the card advertises no intro APR offer. The high APR is a drawback of this rewards card. To avoid paying interest and negating the value of your rewards, I recommend paying off your balance in full before the due date every month.
Everyday Earnings with Belk Rewards Credit Card
How much you earn at Belk depends on your membership tier. Regular Belk members earn three points per dollar spent at the department store or online. Belk Premier members earn four points per dollar, and Belk Elite members earn five points per dollar. All cardholders get access to special bonus points events. Every 1,000 points you earn can be turned into $10 toward Belk merchandise.
Belk Credit Card Rewards
- All Belk Purchases
What Is the Value of Belk Rewards Points
For every 1,000 Belk Rewards Points you earn, you will receive a $10 discount toward merchandise found at Belk, with no brand exclusion. That means that every point you earn is worth one cent. However, the earning rates are accelerated for higher tiers, and you can earn between 3 to percent back on all your Belk spending. The return is not bad when compared to many rewards cards that offer 1 or 2 percent back, but keep in mind that your rewards are limited to one store.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
We use the following formula to calculate the CPP:
Should You Get the Victoria's Secret Credit Card?
Belk is an American department store that specializes in clothing, shoes, beauty, jewelry, home and more. If you’re a frequent Belk customer, the rewards card might be the right choice for you. Depending on your membership tier, you can earn 3, or Belk Rewards points per dollar spent.
Every 1,000 points earned is equal to $10 off your next purchase. You can earn 1,000 points simply by signing up for the card and using it on the first day.
As a basic member, you have to spend $334 at Belk to earn your next reward. As a Premier member, you’ll get your next $10 off after spending $250. As an Elite member, spending $200 will net you 1,000 points, or $10 off your next purchase.
The first time you shop at Belk with the store card, you receive 20 percent off. For example, spending $100 on items other than shoes or home items will net you $20 back in your wallet. Card members also receive early invitations to store sales, receipt-free returns, exclusive savings events and bonus points events. With special coupons and offers, there are plenty of chances to save money on your Belk purchases every year.
Holding a store credit card can be rewarding, but make sure to pay no interest on your purchases. The Belk Rewards card’s APR is not particularly low (at 25.49% Variable±), and carrying a balance can erase the value of your rewards. To avoid paying interest, you want to pay off your balance in full every month, unless you participate in a Flex Pay Plan as an elite member.
The Belk Rewards Program offers better rewards than many other cards, but the points are limited in how they can be earned and used. The upside is that there is plenty of offers that can save you money when shopping at Belk stores, and using the card responsibly can help you build your credit history.
However, if you do not shop at the store frequently or do not have a location in your city, it is obvious that this credit card will not be compatible with your spending patterns. If you have a high credit score, you might want to consider cashback cards or travel cards that offer more flexible rewards.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- The Belk Rewards card is not issued by either Visa or MasterCard networks and therefore cannot be used at any other retailer. The Belk credit card can be swiped to pay for any purchase, including gift cards, at any Belk location or online at www.belk.com.
- Belk customers who would like to obtain the store’s credit card can qualify with a Fair credit score. Keep in mind that approval is not always guaranteed and depends on many factors, including your payment history, your credit score and overall credit health. If your FICO score is at least 620, your chances of approval are good.Keep in mind that your results will vary, and you might be approved for a low credit limit at first. Still, if your score is on the low end, I recommend looking for ways to improve it. To find out where you stand with the credit bureaus, check with one of the free services, such as Credit Karma or Credit Sesame. It’s always good to know your credit score before applying for an additional credit line.
- Yes, unfortunately Belk Rewards points have an expiration date, but there’s an easy way to keep them safe. Make sure to have at least one qualifying activity every 12 months, and you will keep all your accumulated points intact. Remember to shop at Belk department stores at least once per year to avoid losing your unredeemed points.Additionally, your Belk Reward Dollars $10 certificates expire 60 days after the issue date, so you have to make sure to use them within two months.
- After your statement closes, you have 23 days to pay it off in full. If some balance is left over, interest rates will apply to your bill, and as mentioned above, there’s no introductory APR offer. The standard APR on this card is 25.49% Variable±.In order to avoid paying interest and missing out on the value of your rewards, it’s best to pay off your bill in full every month before the due date. Doing so will help you establish on-time payment history and help you increase your credit score.
- Belk Premiere and Belk Elite members qualify for the Belk Rewards Flex Pay Plan. Instead of making the minimum payment, you can choose to enroll in the Flex Pay Plan and pay either $75 or one-third of the initial Flex Pay Plan balance.In this case, no interest will be charged to your account during that billing cycle as long as the determined Flex Pay Plan payment is made before the due date. The feature can help you save money on interest if you’re not quite ready to pay off the balance in full.
- Yes, if you’ve been a Belk Rewards Program member for some time, you might have noticed some changes in how you earn rewards. The old program awarded members the same number of points per dollar spent, no matter the membership tier, and every 400 Belk Rewards Points were equal to $10.The new program requires less spending to reach the same rewards, which means earning $10 certificates has now become easier. As a basic member, you have to spend $334 to earn $10; as a Premier member—$250; and as an Elite member—$200. That’s half the amount it used to be for top-tier members.
Compare Belk Credit Card
Compare Belk Cards
Belk offers three different versions of its store credit card: Belk Rewards, Belk Premier and Belk Elite. Cardholder benefits depend on your membership tier and your spending with the department store. Let’s look at what the benefits are on each card.
|Sign-up bonus||1,000 points||1,000 points||1,000 points|
|APR On Purchases||25.49% Variable±||25.49% Variable±||25.49% Variable±|
The basic Belk Rewards cardholders earn $10 for every 1,000 points, get to participate in 20 exclusive savings events per year, enjoy receipt-free returns and receive invitations to bonus points events. They also get access to cardholders’ savings day of the month and early access to in-store events and promos. If you spend $599 or less per year at Belk, you will be at the basic level in the program.
In addition to basic benefits, Belk Premiere members receive invitation-only savings days, special savings offers, birthday coupons and flexible payments with the Belk Rewards Flex Pay Plan. You must spend $600 to $1,499 annually to qualify for Premiere status.
Belk Elite members receive free shipping when shopping at Belk.com and at physical stores, quarterly 20-percent discounts, four exclusive Elite savings days and even more special savings offers. Elite members must spend at least $1,500 on Belk purchases to qualify for all these benefits.
Some Alternative Cards for Belk Shoppers
Although the Belk Rewards credit card offers a nice return rate on your spending, the rewards are limited for use at Belk only. If you’re after cashback rewards, there are better cards available for you. Let’s take a look at several popular options.
Best Cashback Card
Citi Double Cash is one of the most rewarding no-fee cashback cards available today. With it, you earn 2.0 percent cash back in any category—1 percent back when you make a purchase and then another 1 percent back when you pay off the balance in full. Rewards are unlimited, and the card charges $0 fees.
The best part is that there are no category restrictions. Every single purchase earns cash back at the same rate. Rewards can be applied toward any statement in any amount. Travel? Clothing? Groceries? Everything! When it comes to cashback credit cards, Citi Double Cash is one of the best options right now.
Best Rotating Category Card
The Discover it card earns 5.0 percent cash back in popular rotating categories, such as grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, gas stations and movie theaters. Although the bonus cash back is capped at $1,500 every quarter, there’s no limit to how much you can earn after the cap is reached, though it will be at a reduced rate or 1 percent.
At the end of the first year, Discover will match all of the cash back you’ve earned and double it. That means that you’ll earn 10 percent back for purchases that fall into the rotating bonus categories and 2 percent back for everything else! All you have to do is sit back, relax and wait for the rewards to accumulate.
The Discover it card charges $0 annual fees, and the rewards can be redeemed at any time.
Best Sign-Up Bonus
With the Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card, you can earn $150 back in your wallet after spending just $500 in the first three months. That’s a low minimum spending requirement. The card earns a flat rate of 1.5 percent back on every purchase.
There’s a way to maximize your return with this card, too. If you carry a premium Ultimate Rewards card from Chase, such as Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve, then you can transfers the rewards you earn with the Freedom card to those accounts.
That means that all of your points can be transferred to airline miles or hotel points. You can also buy travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal and get either a 25 or 50 percent bonus, depending on the card. In other words, you can get a lot more value out of your Ultimate Rewards points if you have a Sapphire card in addition to a Freedom card.
The Chase Freedom card charges annual fees of $0, which means all your rewards cost nothing to earn.
If you have applied for more than five credit cards in the last 24 months and can’t qualify for a Chase card, I recommend the Quicksilver card from Capital One instead. This credit card is similar to the Freedom Unlimited in that it earns the same 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases, and new cardholders receive a $150 welcome bonus after spending $500 in the first three months of account opening.
The Quicksilver card also charges no foreign transaction fees, which is an upgrade from the Chase Freedom Unlimited. The downside is that the points are not transferrable and are worth one cent each.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Recommended Credit Score:620
Rewards CurrencyBelk Rewards Points
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Belk Rewards card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this store credit card.
- Intro APR:
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- Ongoing APR:
- 25.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Cash Advance Fee:
- See Terms and Conditions
Security and Protections
Belk Rewards Program members can manage their account online, monitor transactions and make payments on their credit card. In this day and age, it’s important to have access to all of your banking while you’re on the go. The card does not have an EMV chip, only a magnetic strip.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the mobile app.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
UGC Disclosure: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.