- for Bass Pro Shops Customers63
- for Cash Rewards62
- for Everyday use70
Bass Pro Shops® World Mastercard® Credit Card
The Bass Pro Shops World MasterCard comes with a $20 statement credit as a sign-up bonus. You’ll also get a seven-month introductory APR of 1.99 percent and the ability to earn 5 percent back on purchases from Bass Pro Shops and 1 percent back everywhere else.
While that may sound appealing, many of the benefits of the Bass Pro Shops MasterCard aren’t as good as those offered by some other cards that are on the market. In fact, you can get completely interest-free financing for up to 21 months and sign-up bonuses worth $150 or more with certain cards.
Bass Pro Shops partnered with Bank of America to entice customers to save a few bucks on their purchases by signing up for their credit card. That may be tempting, but the Bass Pro Shops MasterCard probably isn’t worthy of your wallet unless you shop there frequently and can take full advantage of the 5 percent return on BPS purchases.
Features and Benefits of Bass Pro Shops Credit Card
The Bass Pro Shops World MasterCard offers benefits that are similar to what you’ll find with most store-branded credit card. For starters, you’ll earn 5 percent back for most Bass Pro purchases, and you’ll get 1 percent back in rewards for all other purchases. On top of that, you’ll get a $20 statement credit as a welcome bonus, as well as an introductory APR of 1.99 percent for seven months.
One surprising perk of this card is that using it contributes to a good cause. Bass Pro Shops donates a small percentage of sales to world conservation efforts.
Note that customers approved for the Platinum Plus version of the card will only earn 3 percent at BPS. Bank of America, the card’s issuer, will determine if you qualify for the World MasterCard or Platinum Plus Bass Pro Shops card based on your creditworthiness.
What You Get
- $20 statement credit after spending $100 within 90 days
- 1.99% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first seven months
- 5% back on Bass Pro Shops purchases
- No annual fee
- Special savings during some sales events
All of your rewards are automatically calculated and redeemed in $10 increments as soon as they’re earned. The reward certificates are mailed to your home address but are only good for a few months before they expire. While it’s nice to get 5 percent back at Bass Pro Shops, your rewards are only good for your next purchase, and you have a limited amount of time to cash them in.
One of the better perks of the Bass Pro Shops card is the low introductory APR of 1.99 percent. If you’re thinking of making a big purchase, having a few months with low interest can certainly help spread out that cost without forking over too much in interest charges.
This intro APR is only good for the first seven months after you open your account, which is a fairly short timeframe compared to other cards that offer introductory interest rates. Many of those cards also offer 0% APR during the promotional period, but you’ll be paying some interest with the Bass Pro Shops card. If it’s you’re only option, though, a low APR is still better than standard interest rates.
Any customer can join Bass Pro Shops Outdoor Rewards program to earn points on any qualifying purchase. As a basic member, you can earn one point per dollar on purchases at Bass Pro Shops and at basspro.com.
If you have the Platinum Plus Bass Pro MasterCard, you’ll earn 1.5 points per dollar, while World MasterCard holders earn 2.5 points per dollar. No matter what type of member you are, reward points are worth two cents each redeemable toward a future BPS purchase.
Aside from the increased earning potential in the rewards program, there are no ongoing benefits or perks for being a Bass Pro Shops cardholder. The store will occasionally offer free shipping or other special savings to card members, though.
What is the Value of Outdoor Rewards Points?
Bass Pro Shops Outdoor Rewards points are good toward future BPS purchases. Whether you earn them in store, online or shopping with other merchants or vendors, these rewards are worth two cents each. Once you accumulate 500 points, you’ll automatically be mailed a certificate for $10 off that must be used within a relatively short timeframe.
Points cannot be immediately redeemed at the time of purchase, only for a future purchase. Let’s say you buy $500 in camping gear with the World MasterCard. You will earn 1,250 points worth $25, but you don’t get $25 off your gear purchase that day. You’ll receive a coupon certificate down the road where you can apply your rewards toward your next Bass Pro purchase.
Unfortunately, you don’t have the option to get your rewards as a statement credit, cash back or toward any non-BPS purchase. This is a major downside to this card.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
We use the following formula to calculate the CPP:
Should You Get the Bass Pro Shops Credit Card?
If you’ve ever stepped inside a Bass Pro Shops megastore, you know it’s easy to spend an entire Saturday afternoon wandering around and scoping out the extensive selection of outdoor merchandise. It can be awfully tempting to buy more than you need, and the allure of a low 1.99 percent APR credit card can make that superfluous purchase seem even more attractive. While that may be true, don’t get suckered into signing up for this card because there are much better options out there.
Yes, a short-term, low-interest loan sounds like a great deal, and 5 percent back on an expensive purchase sounds nice, but this card is not one to consider unless you buy from Bass Pro often and spend a lot of money at their stores.
Even if you spend several hundred dollars there on occasion, you won’t get any value out of this card if you only go once a year. That’s because the rewards certificates you earn have a short lifespan. Sure, it’s nice to earn 1 percent back on spending done outside of the store, but you can only redeem your rewards at Bass Pro Shops.
Another consideration is that you can earn Outdoor Rewards even without becoming a BPS cardholder. You can earn more Outdoor Rewards with the Pro Shops credit card, but you could use another cashback card that offers more flexible rewards and earn points in both programs instead. Essentially, you can have the best of both worlds.
While the 1.99 percent APR sounds great, it’s only for seven months, which isn’t a long time to pay off a sizable balance. And if you don’t pay off that new boat in time, you’ll start paying a much higher interest rate. In the long-run, that great deal may turn out to be bad one if you’re hit with a lot of interest charges.
They also try to tempt you with low interest on balance transfers. Unfortunately, any purchase you make after making a transfer will be subject to interest, even if you pay it off on time each month. That’s a little trick banks like to pull. Nice, eh?
Despite our criticisms, this card may be good for the right outdoorsman. If you find yourself shopping at Bass Pro Shops often, 5 percent back is hard to beat. We’re not saying that no one should get this card, but the average consumer would probably be better off looking elsewhere.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Unfortunately, not everything in the store is eligible for the higher 5 percent rewards rate and instead earn the base 1 percent. Big-ticket items, such as boats, Mercury Motors, RVs and ATVs, as well as taxidermy services, licenses, food, beverages and Big Cedar Lodge expenses, are not eligible to earn extra Outdoors Reward points.Why? Simply put, BPS doesn’t want to give away rewards on these expensive purchases because that could lead to hundreds of dollars in savings just for a single transaction. Also, you won’t earn any rewards with vendors doing business inside Bass Pro stores.The good news, however, is that any purchase you make during the intro APR period is good for the reduced interest rate, even the excluded items mentioned above. Keep in mind that the seven-month window starts the moment you’re approved, and if you still carry a balance after seven billing cycles, interest charges will kick in.
- You can fill out an application in a Bass Pro Shops store or online. There’s no advantage to applying in either place.If you’re considering this card because of the 1.99 percent intro APR, we suggest waiting and applying when you’re ready to make your purchase in order to maximize the amount of time you have to pay off your balance. There’s no point in applying in advance online and heading to BPS six weeks later if the low interest rate is what you’re really after.
- Good question. While major banks like Bank of American typically promote their credit card lineup on their website, not every card appears on every bank’s site. This is typically part of how the bank chooses to market the card or due to an agreement with the co-branded store.In the case of the Bass Pro Shops card, the online link doesn’t even go to Bank of America’s main website. This could also be an effort to keep the brands separate. Despite this, it’s good to know your card receives the same protections as any BofA card.
- Most people look to finance large purchases like a boat or a car, which is totally fine to do. If you’re thinking of buying a boat or another expensive item, do your math to see how long it will take you to pay it off.If you think you will need longer than seven months, or you’d prefer to not pay any interest at all, it’s probably better to look for another low-APR card, like the Citi Diamond Preferred. It gives you interest-free financing for 21 months.The downside, however, is that these types of cards don’t typically earn rewards. Weigh your options, but don’t automatically go with this card because Bass Pro Shops offers it.
- For everyday usage, there isn’t much difference. Your credit history will determine which version you’re approved for, and that will dictate if your credit line is either above or below $5,000.If you get the Platinum Plus card, you’ll earn 3 percent back in Outdoors Rewards, while World MasterCard gets 5 percent back. Unfortunately, you don’t have any influence on which card you get.The World MasterCard also comes with a few more cardholder benefits offered directly from MasterCard, such as complimentary perks at select hotels. See the last section for more details.
Compare Bass Pro Shops Credit Card
Chances are that you don’t do all your shopping for outdoor gear at Bass Pro Shops. Before diving into your Bass Pro credit card application, take a look below at some cards offered through competing stores.
Compare Cards From Other Outdoor and Sporting Goods Stores
|REI Co-op Mastercard®|
|Sign-up bonus||2,000 points||0 points||$100||0 points|
|APR On Purchases||9.99% to 25.90% Variable±||14.24% to 24.24%||12.49% to 24.49% Variable±||27.99% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$240||$480||$240||$264|
Although Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops have merged, their credit cards and rewards programs are still separate for the time being. Hopefully the Cabela’s program prevails because it’s more straightforward with its 1 percent back on every purchase and 2 percent back at Cabela’s. This card also offers members exclusive access to special events, which BPS does not offer to their credit card customers.
REI is another popular outdoor sporting goods store, and its credit card has some appeal, too. The biggest difference is that the REI card gives you a $100 gift card for signing up, and all card members get 5 percent back.
On top of that, you’re eligible to get a 10 percent annual rewards dividend on eligible purchases, which translates as 5.5 percent back on every purchase. Like the other cards compared here, you’ll also get 1 percent back on all your other non-REI purchases.
The Rewards of Sport MasterCard rounds out our comparison of outdoor and sporting goods cards. This is the Dick’s Sporting Goods credit card, and it offers a leading 6 percent back at Dick’s or 12 months of special financing on in-store purchases of $399 or more.
For ongoing benefits, these are quite good and among the best of store credit cards. Of course, Dick’s carries more sports gear, accessories and apparel for your favorite sports team than outdoor gear.
At the end of the day, if you’re thinking about one of these store credit cards, it only makes sense to get the card with the store you shop at the most. While getting extra discounts at every store is certainly nice, there are other non-store cards that can be used everywhere, and they earn more rewards compared to any in this group of cards. Read on to learn more.
Some Alternative Cards for Bass Pro Shops Customers
While the Bass Pro Shops MasterCard could be the card to get for the frequent BPS shopper, there are some simpler and potentially more rewarding cashback alternative you should also consider. These cards also have no annual fee but may earn more rewards in places you shop more frequently. Plus, their rewards programs are more flexible.
- Discover it® Cash Back
Up to 5% cash back offerRead Review
- Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Earn cash back twice. Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.Read Review
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
$150 cashback bonus offerRead Review
Best Long-Term Cashback Card
Are you looking for a solid credit card that you can use for every purchase and keep for years to come? Look no further than the Citi DoubleCash card that earns 2.0 percent back on every purchase. Whether it’s the outdoor sporting goods store, the toy store, the corner market or your favorite takeout spot, the DoubleCash card earns 2.0 percent back.
This card does not have a sign-up bonus, rotating bonus categories or a first-year match, but you also won’t pay an annual fee to earn unlimited 2.0 percent back.
Best Card to Earn the Most Cash in the First Year
Perhaps you’re looking to earn as much cash back as possible because you use your credit card for everything. The Discover it card may be for you because all the rewards you earn in your first year as a card member are doubled after 12 billing statements.
You’ll earn 5.0 percent back on special rotating categories, plus 1 percent back on all other purchases. But in reality, you’ll essentially earn 2 percent back everywhere and 10 percent on the quarterly bonus categories. That’s Amazing , but remember that your cash back is only matched in year one.
Best Everyday Cashback Card
If you’re like most average Americans, a good portion of your paycheck goes to paying for necessities. You probably spend a good chuck of change at the grocery store and the gas station, so getting a nice return at these places only makes sense, right?
The American Express Blue Cash Everyday card rewards customers with 3.0 percent back at supermarkets on up to $6,000 spent each year, unlimited 2.0 percent back at gas stations and 1 percent back everywhere else. Your rewards will add up fast with these common bonus categories.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Good credit score
IssuerBank of America
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Bass Pro Shops card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- 1.99% Introductory APR for the first 7 Statement Closing Dates following the opening of your account
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 1.99% Introductory APR for the first 7 Statement Closing Dates following the opening of your account for transactions made within 60 days of opening your account
- Ongoing APR:
- 14.24% to 24.24%
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 25 days
- Extended Warranty Protection:
- Never worry if your big-ticket item will just barely outlive the manufacturer’s guarantee because the extended warranty protection doubles the original coverage for up to 24 months.
- Price Protection:
- Shop confidently knowing your MasterCard will refund the difference of your item if the price drops ithin 120 days of purchase.
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 17.24% to 26.24%, based on your creditworthiness when you open your account, for Direct Deposit and Check Cash Advances, and 26.24% for Bank Cash Advances
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater. Direct Deposit and Check Cash Advances: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
Your Bass Pro Shops card is protected by Bank of America’s card monitoring department. They’ll protect your card and contact you if anything looks suspicious or out of the ordinary, and you can monitor your account online 24 hours a day. Also, every card comes with a chip for greater security and the ability to use your card in more places.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the Bank of America mobile app, available for free on your smartphone.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Use your card just about anywhere in the world with enhanced security with your card’s chip protection technology.
- Identity Theft Protection:
- Get help detecting and fixing your credit reports quickly.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
Depending on your credit worthiness, you’ll either be approved for a Platinum Plus or World MasterCard. You’ll know which card Bank of America approved you for based on your total credit limit. Above $5,000 means you hold a World MasterCard. The World version of the card offers additional benefits, like Luxury Hotels & Resorts access and savings on cruises. Here’s a full list of the World MasterCard benefits.
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Luxury Hotels & Resorts:
- Book a stay through MasterCard at one of 1,200 properties around the globe, and you can enjoy complimentary room upgrades, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast and more.
- Car Rental Program:
- Enjoy elite status with certain rental companies, entitling you to upgrades and extra savings.
- Air Program:
- Select airlines offer World MasterCard holders upgrades or discounts for domestic and international travel.
- Cruise Program:
- Extra savings are available on a global fleet of luxury ships, yachts and riverboats.
- Priceless Cities:
- Enjoy unique dining experiences and exclusive events like a true VIP.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
UGC Disclosure: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.