- For Barclaycard users60
- for Cash Rewards73
- for Everyday Use71
Barclaycard Visa® Credit Card with Apple Rewards
Are you an avid Apple enthusiast? Did you know that the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards offers special financing and earns point multipliers for every dollar spent at Apple Stores? When it comes to purchasing a new MacBook or an iPhone, you have options when it comes to financing your purchase with zero interest.
Although the card doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, it doesn’t charge an annual fee, either. The Apple credit card is essentially a cashback card, and each point you accumulate is worth one cent when redeemed at the Apple Store or via iTunes, based on your selection during application.
Let’s take a closer look at the Apple rewards card, including its benefits, earning rate and financing offers.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Barclaycard Visa® with Apple Rewards offers and the value of the Barclays points you earn.
Unfortunately, the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards does not come with a sign-up bonus. However, the card offers special financing on Apple products purchased directly from Apple Stores, and that’s the main draw of this card. The card offers 0% APR for the first six months on purchases less than $499, 12 months on purchases from $499 to $998, 18 months on purchases from $999 to $1,498 and 24 months on purchases of $1,499 or more. Customers who use the Apple card to make a purchase within 30 days of opening an account will have a chance to pay for their new Apple products with no interest.
What You Get
- Up to 24 months of 0% APR on Apple purchases
- 3 points per dollar spent with Apple
- 2 points per dollar at restaurants
The points you earn with your Apple Barclaycard do not expire as long as the card is open and active. You can keep accumulating points for as long as you want until you have enough for a reward. The best part of keeping this card long-term is not worrying about annual fees.
What is the value of Apple Rewards Points?
Points earned with the Barclays Apple card have a fixed value of one cent each when redeemed for cash back in the form of gift cards. Points can be redeemed in increments of 2,500. Every 2,500 points you earn is equal to a $25 Apple Store or iTunes gift card. Please note that an Apple Store gift card cannot be redeemed on iTunes, so you have to decide which one to exchange your points for when you have enough for a reward.
The Best Ways to Redeem Points
Because redemption opportunities are rather limited, the best way to redeem the points earned with the Apple Store credit card is for Apple Store or iTunes gift cards, depending on which you are more likely to use. A $25 gift card to the Apple Store can get you some free accessories or offer a small discount on your next gadget purchase. As far as iTunes redemptions, you can score a couple of music albums, movies or several apps for your iPhone or iPad. Redemption opportunities are not where this card shines, unfortunately.
Everyday Earnings with Barclaycard Visa® with Apple Rewards
The Barclaycard Apple rewards card earns three points for every dollar spent at the Apple Store or on Apple.com, two points per dollar spent at restaurants and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. Unfortunately, the rewards aren’t great, but if you buy nothing but Apple products and utilize the no-interest promotion within 30 days, you don’t need to worry about this card’s earning rates in other categories.
Barclaycard Visa® with Apple Rewards
- Apple purchases
- All Other Purchases
Fees: the cost of Having Barclaycard Visa® with Apple Rewards
The Apple Visa card doesn’t charge an annual fee, which makes it easy to keep it year after year. However, the card’s rewards can take a while to accumulate. For example, if you use this card to pay for Apple purchases only and earn three points per dollar, you have to spend at least $834 to earn your first $25 gift card. If you mix up the purchase categories, earning more will require a bit more spending.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
3% foreign transaction fee
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37 Variable±
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards
The Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards comes with several benefits. Take a look at the card’s top five perks.
- Special Financing Offer: Use your Apple card to purchase Apple products from the Apple Store or Apple.com and receive 0 percent APR for 6 to 24 months on a purchase made within 30 days, depending on the purchase amount.
- No Annual Fee: Holding a card long term increases your average age of accounts, and holding this particular Barclaycard Visa and earning rewards cost absolutely nothing.
- Earn Apple Store or iTunes Gift Cards: Every point you earn with the Apple credit card is worth a penny, and every 2,500 points earned can be converted to a $25 gift card to the Apple Store or iTunes.
- Triple Points at Apple Stores: The cards earns 3 points per dollar spent at any Apple Store, both physical locations and online. Boost your rewards balance quickly if you’re a frequent shopper.
- Points Do Not Expire: The rewards accumulated with this credit card do not expire, as long as the account is open and in good standing. Simply swipe the card and watch the rewards grow. For the rewards to be truly free, make sure to pay it off in full every month.
Should You Get the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards?
If you anticipate a large Apple purchase coming up, whether it’s a new iPhone or a laptop, this card might be a good option for you if you want to pay for it over a period of time. The special financing offer varies, depending on how large the purchase is. If the items cost $1,499 or more, it’s possible to receive no-interest financing for up to two years. To receive the special offer, the purchase has to be made within 30 days of opening an account.
However, the Apple card also has some drawbacks. Although the special financing applies to Apple purchases made within the first 30 days of card membership, the same offer does not apply to your everyday purchases. That means that all other charges have to paid off after every statement closes or an APR of at least 14.24 percent will kick in. Additionally, if you do not pay off the no-interest balance within the promo period or if a payment is late, all the deferred interest that accrued from the purchase date will be billed.
The best way to use this card is by making an Apple purchase or two in the first 30 days and not touching the card again until the balance is paid off in full.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- If you apply for the Apple rewards card and make an Apple purchase in the first 30 days of card opening, you qualify for a deferred zero-interest offer. The length of the promotional offer depends on how much money you spend.
- $498 or less gets six months of 0% APR
- $499 to $998 gets 12 months
- $999 to $1,498 gets 18 months
- $1,499 or more gets 24 months
- Apple junkies who would like to apply for this rewards card must have a Good to Excellent credit score to be approved. If your score is at least 670, you’ve got a good chance of approval. If your credit score is lower, your results will vary. You might still be approved, but I recommend looking for ways to increase your score first.To find out where you stand with the credit bureaus, check with one of the free services, such as Credit Karma or Credit Sesame. It’s always good to know your credit score before applying for an additional credit line.
- Depending on the card issuer and the card network, foreign transaction (FX) fees can vary from 1 to 3 percent per transaction. Unfortunately, the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards charges a 3 percent fee for each purchase made outside of the United States, which adds up quite a bit if you prefer using credit over cash when overseas. However, as we discussed earlier, this isn’t the best card to use anywhere but Apple Stores, much less abroad, so I do not recommend carrying it in your wallet after making your first Apple purchase.
Barclaycard issues a couple of other credit cards with no annual fees: Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard and Barclaycard Ring MasterCard. Let’s discuss some of these other cards’ perks.
Other Barclaycards cards
|Uber Visa Card|
|Sign-up bonus||$100||0 points|
|APR On Purchases||16.49% to 25.24% Variable±||15.49% to 28.49% Variable±|
|Second Year Value||$240||$240|
Uber Visa Credit Card offers generous cashback bonuses. You can earn 4.0 percent cash back at restaurants, 3.0 percent back for certain major travel expenses, 2.0 percent back on most online and mobile purchases (including Uber rides) and 1.0 percent back everywhere else. Plus, it’s a no-fee card that comes with a $100 sign-up bonus.
If you’re mostly interested in earning rewards, the Uber card is a great option that’s more flexible than the Apple card. It’s easier to earn and redeem. If you’re looking for a way to finance a big purchase, the Barclaycard Ring is more forgiving than the Apple card because you won’t be hit with a big interest payment if you don’t pay off the balance in full at the end of the promotional period.
Compare the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards to Other Cards
The Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards has mainly one purpose, and it’s the special financing on Apple products. If you’re looking for rewards in other areas, such as travel, there are many other cards available on the market. Let’s take a look at a couple.
- Discover it® Miles Card
Unlimited 1.5X rewards on every purchaseRead Review
- Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards
Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchaseRead Review
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®
40,000 points offerRead Review
The Discover it Miles card earns 1.5 miles per dollar for all purchases. There are no rotating categories, and every dollar earns a bonus. Discover matches all the miles you earn in the first year and doubles them, which means you really earn three miles per dollar for the first 12 months. Members can redeem their miles for any travel purchase, including airfare, hotel rooms and rental cars. The card charges no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard offers cardholders 40,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months. It earns two miles per dollar spent on every purchase. The points can be used to cover any travel expense at a rate of one cent per point, which means 40,000 miles can cover $421 worth of travel purchases. Additionally, card members earn 5 percent of their redeemed points back toward a future redemption.
Both of these cards have better earning potential for everyday purchases than the Apple card. Plus the rewards your earn can be applied to more things, not just purchases from Apple. These cards are more rewards and better earners, though they do not offer special financing.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this Visa card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 15.49% to 28.49% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 28.74% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The card comes with security benefits, such as chip technology, access to online banking via computer or smartphone, $0 fraud liability and free access to a FICO score online.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- Banking On the Go:
- Track your account with the mobile app.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip-enabled terminals.
- Credit Score Reports:
- Monitor your credit history for unusual activity, including recently opened accounts and inquiries made on your history.
Barclaycard participates in Apple Pay, which is available on all U.S.-branded MasterCard and Visa cards. The feature allows card members to pay for purchases by simply tapping their Apple device at participating merchants.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
Visa Signature Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Barclays offers secondary coverage for rentals in the case of theft or damage. Primary cardholder and additional drivers are covered when they decline the auto rental company’s collision damage waiver and pay for the rental with the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement:
- Cardholders can receive up to $3,000 per passenger for damaged or lost bags. Coverage includes cardholder and immediate family members on the same travel itinerary as long as travel was paid with eligible card.
- Roadside Dispatch:
- Call 1-800-847-2869 for roadside assistance available 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Service includes towing (up to 5 miles), tire changing, jump-starts, lockout service, fuel delivery (up to 5 gallons) and winching. Service charges apply.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance:
- Trip cancellation or interruption may include reasons such as death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness. Cardholders can receive up to $1,500 for them and immediate family members.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $200,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards.
- Travel Assistance Services:
- When you’re 50 miles or more away from home, travel assistant services may provide information on travel requirements, emergency cash transfers, medical and legal assistance.