Barclaycard Ring™ MasterCard®
The Barclaycard Ring MasterCard is different than most rewards credit cards; you won’t earn a fixed amount of rewards based on how much you spend, but rather you will get part of the estimated profits of the Ring product. Because of this, you won’t know how many rewards you are getting ahead of time. The rewards typically range from nothing to a standard 1 to 2 percent return.
While the rewards part of this card makes it sound like a bad option, it does have some good benefits for those with credit card debt or who are going to make a big purchase. All purchases made on the card will have 0% APR for the first 15 months. Additionally, balance transfers made within the first 45 days of being a card member will also get 0% APR for 15 months. This is a great way to pay down some debt or get a 15-month loan for a large purchase, even though the card’s rewards aren’t great.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Barclaycard Ring™ MasterCard® offers and the value of the Barclays Giveback™ cashback you earn.
The Barclaycard Ring doesn’t come with a typical sign-up bonus of points or cash back after reaching a minimum spending requirement. Rather, you’ll automatically be provided 0% APR for your first 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. You must complete transfers within 45 days of opening your account in order to qualify for the introductory rate. Additionally, you’ll never be charged a balance transfer fee with the Barclaycard Ring, even after the introductory period.
What You Get
- 0% APR for 15 months on new purchases and balance transfers
- No balance transfer fees
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
Everyday Earnings with Barclaycard Ring™ MasterCard®
This card doesn’t earn rewards on everyday spending like a regular card does. Rather, the amount you earn is tied to the card’s performance. In short, card members get a portion of the Barclaycard Ring’s estimated profits. The portion of the profits that a member receives is determined by their account activity and the number of approved referrals they generate. Members can then keep all of their Giveback rewards, donate them to charity or split them between the two.
For each new Ring card member, Barclaycard contributes $10 to $20 into the Giveback pool. New cardholders referred by current members are worth the full $20. Additionally, 70 percent of all profits—including those from spending, cash advances and balance transfers—that exceed a 3 percent annualized return on the average balances goes into the Giveback pool.
For referrals, each card member will be paid a percentage for the number of applications they drive. That percentage is based in part on the total number of applications, including those contributed by Barclays.
How account activity is determined is more complicated. Barclaycard adds cardholder statement balances from the previous six months. That number is then divided by the total number of eligible statement balances to determine the value for each statement dollar.
Overall, it is much more complex than other credit cards, and you really have no idea what kind of cash back you will get each reward period. It could be on par with a 1 or 2 percent cashback card or nothing at all.
No Foreign Transaction Fee
You won’t pay any additional fees to use this card while traveling abroad.
Fees: the cost of Having Barclaycard Ring™ MasterCard®
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
- Foreign Transaction Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- Up to $27 Variable±
Top 5 Benefits of the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard
Since the Barclaycard Ring is a little bit different than many credit card products out there, it also has some unique benefits.
- No Annual Fee: You’ll never have to pay anything for this card. That means all the rewards you earn are essentially free—though there’s no guarantee to how many rewards you will earn. The savings you can get from this card’s low APR are also free.
- No Balance Transfer Fee: If you find yourself needing to transfer balances from a high interest rate credit card on a regular basis, it might make sense to take advantage of the Ring’s balance transfer program. You’ll never pay for a balance transfer.
- 0% APR for 15 Months: When you get this card, you’ll have 0% APR on purchases made for your first 15 months and 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers initiated within your first 45 days as a cardholder.
- Low Ongoing Interest Rate: The Barclaycard Ring features a relatively low interest rate. This is a major benefit to those that need to transfer balances or carry a balance for a few months while you pay down your debt.
- Rewards: While you can’t count on how many rewards you’re going to get, you will get something as long as the card is successful. If you have debt, paying that down should be your top priority since the best rewards cards have insane interest rates. Here, you’ll give up some rewards and you won’t know exactly how much you’re going to get, but you will save significantly on interest fees along the way.
Should You Get the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard?
The Barclaycard Ring primarily makes sense for people who are looking to pay down debt or know they have a large purchase coming up that they will pay off over a few months. That’s because you’ll get 15 months of 0% APR on new purchases and balance transfers. What’s really unique about this card is that it doesn’t charge transfer fees, either. Those fees are typically around 3 percent.
Since the Barclaycard Ring doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus and you can’t even count on earning rewards as an ongoing cardholder, it doesn’t make sense to spend on this card unless you specifically need to take advantage of the low ongoing interest rates or the introductory 0% APR.
If you do need to carry a credit card balance, this card is a great option since it can save you hundreds or thousands of dollars in interest, particularly over the course of the first 15 months. Without an annual fee, you don’t have much to lose by giving this card a try.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Most people who are approved for the Barclaycard Ring indicate that they have a credit score of 720 or higher. You may be able to get this card with a lower score, and you may not be approved even if your score is 720 or higher. Barclaycard will do a full evaluation of your application before deciding whether to approve or deny you.
- Unfortunately, you won’t know how many rewards you’ll get back ahead of time. The Barclaycard Ring’s rewards are based on the size of the Giveback pool, which is determined by the number of new card members and the total returns for the entire Ring program. You can read more about how the size of the Giveback pool is determined on Barclaycards’ blog.
- After the initial 45 days, you will no longer get 0% APR on balance transfers. If you have a balance that you want to transfer, it is very important to do it within 45 days of opening your account. The Barclaycard Ring won’t ever charge you a balance transfer fee, even after the initial 45-day period. The introductory APR offer does not apply to cash advance transactions.
- After the 0% APR introductory period, your APR for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances is 13.99%, variable. This is the same APR for every single Barclaycard Ring cardholder and will only change with the market, based on the Prime Rate.
Other Barclays Credit Cards
Before you apply for the Barclaycard Ring, it makes sense to look at a couple of other Barclays credit cards, including the Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard and the CashForward card.
The Uber Visa Card and Arrival Plus are pretty different from the Barclaycard Ring. The Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard is a great option for someone looking for a basic travel card. It has an $89 annual fee and offers 50,000 points as a sign-up bonus. The Arrival Plus earns two points for every dollar spent, and each point can be redeemed for one cent toward travel purchases, making it essentially a 2 percent cashback card.
Uber Visa Credit Card offers generous cashback bonuses. You can earn 4.0 percent cash back at restaurants, 3.0 percent back for certain major travel expenses, 2.0 percent back on most online and mobile purchases (including Uber rides) and 1.0 percent back everywhere else. Plus, it’s a no-fee card that comes with a $100 sign-up bonus.
Compare Barclaycard Ring MasterCard to Other Cards
You should also consider cards that aren’t issued by Barclaycard, including the BankAmericard Cash Rewards Card, U.S. Price and MLB card.
The BankAmericard Cash Rewards card gives you 3 percent back on gas, 2 percent back on grocery stores and wholesale clubs, and 1 percent back on all other purchases. It also offers a $150 sign-up bonus. With the BankAmericard, you can get 0% APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers made within the first 60 days. Unfortunately, you will need to pay a 3 percent balance transfer fee.
The U.S. Pride credit card is also issued by Bank of America and earns the same cashback rates in the same categories as the Cash Rewards card. It also offers an intro 0% APR period, but does not offer a cash sign-up bonus.
The MLB credit card is also issued by Bank of America and offer $150 cash back for a sign-up bonus. All 30 baseball team cards are available, and you’ll still earn 3 percent back on gas, 2 percent back on grocery/wholesale purchases and 1 percent back on everything else, with an introductory 0% APR period.
Basically, if you want to know what kind of rewards you’re getting back, any of these options are better than the Barclaycard Ring. You should pick whichever one has the design you like the most! Keep in mind that the U.S. Pride card does not have a sign-up bonus, so it probably makes more sense to choose one of the cards that does.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles after the account is opened
- Ongoing APR:
- 13.99% Variable±
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 13.99% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- $3 for each cash advance
Security and Protections
The Barclaycard Ring offers all of the security benefits you would expect from a major credit card, including:
- Banking On The Go:
- Track your account with Barclaycard’s mobile app.
- Emv Chip Plus Signature Technology:
- Paying for your purchases is more secure at chip-enabled terminals in the U.S. and abroad.
- Free Fico Score:
- Get free online access to your FICO score and get alerts when Barclaycard learns that your score has changed.
- Learn About Credit Health:
- Improve your credit and get a behind the scenes look at Barclaycard’s Big Print Blog.
Barclaycard offers a mobile banking app so you can more easily monitor your spending while you’re on the go. The Barclaycard Ring is also compatible with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
As part of the MasterCard network, the Barclaycard Ring comes with a variety of cardholder benefits.
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Coverage for theft and collision for most rentals in the U.S. and abroad. Coverage is secondary to your personal insurance.
- Extended Warranty:
- If the original manufacturer’s warranty is 12 months or less, MasterCard will double the original manufacturer warranty up to the maximum of 12 months.
- Price Protection:
- Purchases you make entirely with your Barclaycard Ring are covered for 120 days from the date of purchases. The coverage is the different between the price you paid and the advertised lower price, up to $250 per claim. There are a maximum of four claims per card member account per 12 month period.
- Master Card Global Service:
- 24-hour assistance with lost and stolen card reporting, emergency card replacement and emergency cash advance.