- for Cash Rewards88
- for Everyday use92
Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® Credit Card
There’s no shortage of no-fee cashback credit cards on the market. However, if you can’t get a Chase card because you’ve opened too many accounts recently and you want to earn a decent sign-up bonus, then the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard might be right for you.
The card offers a 1.5 percent return for all purchases, no matter their category. Plus you’ll get a $200 sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 in 3 days, and you’ll never have to pay an annual fee.
Redeeming for cash back is simple as well. Every 5,000 points equals $50 back in your pocket, and redemptions are not limited to just travel purchases. Credit can be applied to any monthly statement.
Bonuses and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® offers and the value of the Barclays Barclaycard CashForward™ Rewards cashback you earn.
The Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard comes with a sign-up bonus of $200 cash back after spending $1,000 in the first 3 days of card membership, which is a low minimum spending requirement. The points can be redeemed toward a statement credit on your bill. Considering there’s no annual fee, you’re earning free money just for signing up for this credit card and meeting the spending requirements.
Additionally, cardholders receive a five percent rebate on all redeemed points to use for the next redemption. For example, redeeming 20,000 points for $200 will return 1,000 points to your account, which is worth $10. The rewards do not expire as long as the account is active and in good standing.
What You Get
- Earn $200 after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Get 5% of the cashback you redeem back
- Every purchase earn 1.5% cashback per dollar
Everyday Earnings with Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®
Barclaycard CashForward credit card earns 1.5 percent back on every purchase. There’s no need to keep track of bonus categories or rotating quarterly promotions. There are some cashback cards out there that can give you a higher return, but often only when you spend money at a particular retailer or during certain months, etc. Seriously, who has time for that? Every purchase made with this Barclays credit card earns the same number of points no matter what, when and where you buy. It’s that simple.
CashForward™ World MasterCard® Rewards
- Car Rental
- All Other Purchases
Foreign Transaction Fee
3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
Fees: the cost of Having Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®
The CashForward card doesn’t charge annual fees, which means you don’t have to worry about spending a certain amount annually just to break even. Earning a $50 statement credit requires about $3,334 in transactions on the card.
- Annual Fee
- Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee
3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Fee
Up to $37
Does the Card Pay for Itself?
Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard is a no-fee card. You do not have to earn a certain amount of rewards in order to cover the cost since it’s free. It’s still good to know roughly how much you’ll be earning, though. We’ve broken out our estimates for the first- and second-year net earnings.
These estimates are based on an annual monthly spend of $2,000
Top 5 Benefits of the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard
Barclaycard CashForward is a solid no annual fee cashback credit card. Let’s take a look at the top five benefits of keeping this card in your wallet.
- Great Earning Potential: Every purchase you make generates a 1.5% return at any merchant or service provider. Not that many no-fee cards can beat that earning on all transactions.
- Sign-Up Bonus: Spending just $1,000 on this card in the first first 90 days of account opening will earn you a $200 bonus, which is excellent for a no-fee card. Most other cards with this earning potential offer a smaller bonus or no bonus at all.
- No Annual Fee: Holding a card long term increases the average age of your accounts, and not paying for a card makes it easy to keep. Not to mention, earning cashback rewards doesn’t cost a dime.
- Simple Redemptions: Redemptions start at $50 and can be applied toward a statement credit, gift cards or a deposit into a checking or savings bank account.
- Rewards Redemption Bonus: You can redeem points for statement credits, and every redemption earns a 5% rebate that goes right back into your account. It gives you a head start when it comes to future redemptions.
Should You Get the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard?
The Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard is a solid option for someone who’s not too invested in travel rewards and is looking for a no-fuss cashback credit card. You’ll earn $200 just for spending $1,000 in the first 90 days and continue to earn 1.5 points on all purchases, no matter the purchase category or time of year.
This is also a good option for those who cannot qualify for a Chase card because they’ve opened five or more credit cards in the last 24 months. If you fall into that camp, the competitive Chase Freedom Unlimited card is out of reach.
The CashForward rewards card is great for a consumer who is looking for simplicity when it comes to earning rewards. You won’t ever have to worry about travel partners, award charts or blackout dates. It’s also a good choice for those whose spending varies across many merchant categories.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
This Barclays credit card offers 15 months of a 0% annual percentage rate on purchases and balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening. Typically, I do not recommend people with existing debt apply for new credit cards. If you carry a balance, it might mean you’re not ready for a rewards card just yet.
However, if you’re trying to consolidate and pay off your debt without accruing any more interest, 15 months is a generous timeline, as long as you make more than minimum payments and actually eliminate the debt within the promotional time period.
- Both of these cashback cards charge zero annual fees, earn 1.5 points on all purchases and offer 0% APR for the first 15 months of card membership. However, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® has a potential of increased point value. This can be achieved by transferring points to Chase’s travel partners if you have another Ultimate Rewards card that charges an annual fee, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve® or Ink Business Preferred℠credit card. The CashForward card’s points cannot be transferred and are worth a flat one cent apiece.
- Depending on the card issuer and the card network, foreign transaction fees can vary between one percent and three percent per transaction. Unfortunately, the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard applies an additional three percent fee on top of each purchase made outside of the United States, which adds up quite a bit if you prefer using credit over cash when overseas. Foreign transaction fees might not be a huge deal for those cardholders who don’t travel internationally, but if you are one of them, I recommend using other credit cards that waive these fees.
Compare Barclaycard Cashback Cards
Other Barclaycard Cashback cards
Barclays issues a couple of other cashback credit cards: the NFL Extra Points credit card and Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards. Let’s take a look at what these no-fee cards might be good for.
The NFL Extra Points credit card offers a sign-up bonus of $100 after spending $500 and earns two points per dollar spent on NFL purchases. Additionally, the card has special financing on ticket purchases and offers a 20 percent discount at NFLshop.com. This is a decent cashback card for diehard football fans. And the card’s design is customizable with your favorite team’s logo.
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards earns three points per dollar spent at Apple and two points per dollar at restaurants. The Apple Barclaycard offers financing options for Apple purchases made within 30 days of opening the card, but it still accrues interest on everything else purchased within the special financing period. It’s best not to use this card for anything other than an Apple purchase that you can pay off without interest.
Compare Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® to Other Cards
The Barclaycard CashForward MasterCard is a decent choice when it comes to cashback credit cards. However, a few other issuers offer their own no-fee cashback credit cards. Below are some of the options.
The SavorOne℠Credit Card from Capital One earns 3.0 percent cash back on dining, 2.0 percent on groceries and 1.0 percent on everything else. The card offers a $150 cash bonus after spending $500 within the first three months. As far as no-fee credit cards go, this one offers a generous earning structure and is good for someone who both dines out and buys groceries.
The Discover it Cash card earns 5.0 percent cash back in rotating categories, such as gas, restaurants and wholesale club. The bonus categories change every quarter. Additionally, cardholders receive a dollar-for- dollar match on all the points they accumulate during the first year of card membership. Although redemptions are easy, it takes a bit of effort to keep track of the rotating bonus categories in order to maximize your earning.
The Capital One Quicksilver card offers 1.5 percent unlimited cash back on every purchase and a $150 welcome bonus after spending $500 within the first three months. The redemptions are easy and flexible. There are no minimum requirements, and you can easily redeem all of the rewards you have accumulated.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the rewards offered by the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this MasterCard.
- Intro APR:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles after the account is opened
- Ongoing APR:
- 15.99% to 25.99% Variable±
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- 0% introductory APR for the first fifteen billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Cash Advance Features
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Cash Advance Fee:
- Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Security and Protections
The card comes with some nice security benefits, such as chip technology that can be used in the U.S. and abroad, access to online banking via computer or smartphone, $0 fraud liability and a free FICO score.
- Account alerts:
- Set up alerts to be notified when large transactions occur, if there’s an unauthorized withdrawal and when your bill’s due.
- EMV Chip Technology:
- Get global acceptance and enhanced security at merchants that use chip enabled terminals.
- Free Fico Score:
- Monitor your credit history for unusual activity, including recently opened accounts and inquiries made on your history.
Barclaycard makes it easy to bank while you’re on the go. Use their all-in- one mobile app and contactless mobile payment options.
- Barclaycard Mobile App:
- Do all of your banking and keep track of your credit card accounts with Barclays mobile app.
- Apple Pay:
- Make purchases by simply tapping your Apple device at participating merchants.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
Master Card Travel Benefits
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:
- Barclays offers secondary coverage of auto rentals in the case of theft or damage. Primary cardholder and additional drivers are covered when they decline the auto rental company’s collision damage waiver and pay for the rental with the CashForward World MasterCard.
- Baggage Delay Insurance:
- In the event of baggage delay of 12 hours or longer, cardholders are eligible for reimbursement for incurred expenses, such as toiletries and clothing. Coverage is limited to $100 a day for three days, and up to $300 annually.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption:
- Trip cancellation or interruption may include death, accidental injury, disease or physical illness. Cardholders can receive up to $1,500 for themselves and immediate family members.
- Travel Accident Insurance:
- Receive accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $250,000 for any air, bus, train or cruise ship transportation paid for with your Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services:
- When you’re 50 miles or more away from home, travel assistant services may provide information on travel requirements, emergency cash transfers and medical and legal assistance.
- Extended Warranty Coverage:
- Extended warranty doubles the original warranty provided by the manufacturer for up to one additional year for a new item. Coverage is limited to $10,000.
- Purchase Security:
- In the event of theft or damage, this benefit offers replacement, repair or reimbursement within 90 days of a purchase. A maximum of $500 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder is covered.