- for Banana Republic Customers99
- for Gap Purchases95
- for Everyday Use94
The Banana Republic Credit Card
Fashion retailer Banana Republic was founded in 1978, acquired by Gap in 1983 and now sports over 750 stores worldwide. Because it is one of several brands owned by Gap, Inc., the Banana Republic store-branded credit card, issued by Synchrony Bank, can be used for purchases at other affiliated retail stores, including all Gap, Athleta, Old Navy, Intermix and Weddington Way locations and for shopping on their websites.
Banana Republic cardholders are romanced with a variety of discounts, perks and rewards that encourage shopping at the affiliated stores. These cardholder benefits can be valuable and return as much as 15 percent back on a purchase.
However, there are limitations to the Banana Republic credit card due to the fact that earnings are exclusively tied to expenditures at Banana Republic and its affiliated stores. Additionally, redemptions are limited to shopping rewards that can be used only at Banana Republic.
If you shop frequently at Banana Republic, you’ll be pleased with the discounts and rewards you’ll receive for having the card, but that’s where the story ends. To earn rewards on all of your purchases and enjoy the flexibility of getting real cash back, you’ll do better to supplement the Banana Republic card or consider an alternative cashback card.
Banana Republic Credit Card Features and Benefits
Knowing what benefits come with a credit card can help you decide if it’s a good fit for you. Here we cover the bonuses and perks that the Banana Republic Credit Card offers and the value of the Banana Republic points you earn.
The Banana Republic card is loaded with features and benefits for the Banana Republic shopper. First, you can use your card at all the affiliated stores so points could add up fast. With a first purchase discount of 20 percent and ongoing special discounts and offers, cardholders should never have to pay full price for their purchase.
They’ll also be earning points that can be redeemed for shopping rewards. Double-point shopping days allow cardholders to accelerate their earnings and receive as much as 10 percent back in shopping rewards on their purchase. Double-point cardholder shopping days also accelerate the path to elite LUXE status where shoppers receive even more rewards.
Having free shipping, no receipt returns and receiving birthday surprise offers just adds to the value of having the card. The Banana Republic card offers all of these benefits but has $0 annual fee.
What You Get
- Receive a 20% discount when making your first purchase using your card.
- Earn 5 points for every dollar spent on the card.
- Submit your email and sign up for e-billing and receive a total of 1,000 bonus points.
- Cardholders have access to special shopping days when you earn 10 points per dollar spent on the card versus 5 points per dollar.
- You’ll receive a $5 shopping reward for every 500 points you redeem.
- Cardholders have access to member-only sales events, offers and discounts.
- If you’ve made at least one purchase on your card during the last 12 months, you’ll receive a surprise birthday gift.
- You can add an authorized user to your card for no charge.
- Keep the card as long as you want as the card does not have an annual fee.
- Cardholders receive free shipping on all orders of at least $50.
- Cardholders are not required to present their receipt in order to return a previously purchased item.
The Banana Republic Card does not offer any special introductory APR (annual percentage rate) or special financing.
One neat characteristic of some store-branded credit cards is that they attempt to make you feel like you belong to a special club. The Banana Republic credit card tries to do this by showering its card members with offers and discounts, invitations to special shopping days and bestowing recognition perks on their birthday. While you don’t have to be a cardholder to join their rewards program, these additional cardholder benefits do add value to the experience.
Also, if you earn 5,000 points in their rewards program in a calendar year, you’ll qualify for elevated LUXE status. LUXE elite members receive 20 percent bonus points every quarter. For instance, if you earn 1,000 points in a quarter, you’ll receive a 200-point bonus by being a LUXE elite.
The LUXE benefits keep coming in the form of triple points shopping days, free shipping on all orders, a special customer service line, free basic alternations and a “choose your own sale” day.
To maximize all the customer perks, you would need to join the rewards program, get the Banana Republic card, then spend $1,000 a year at Banana Republic and affiliated stores.
What Is the Value of Banana Republic Rewards Points
The Banana Republic rewards program is structured quite simply. Earn 500 points and you can redeem them for a $5 shopping reward. Since you earn five points per dollar spent on the card, you’ll need to spend $100 to earn 500 points.
However, on double points shopping days, you would earn 10 points per dollar spent versus five points per dollar. So you would earn the $5 shopping reward by spending only $50 to earn the 500 rewards points.
Banana Republic Rewards Points are worth 1 cent each. If you earn 500 points, you can redeem them for a $5 shopping reward.
What is CPP and How is it Calculated?
Cents Per Point (CPP) is a way to measure the value of points. It tells you how many cents you get for each point you redeem by dividing the cash price of the hotel room by the number of points of an equivalent award stay costs. This can be a somewhat subjective calculation because the price of the stay in both cash and points fluctuates by season and availability.
We use the following formula to calculate the CPP:
Should You Get the Victoria's Secret Credit Card?
If you shop frequently at Banana Republic and its affiliated stores, you’re going to find value in the Banana Republic credit card. Rewards and discounts are many, and if you take advantage of double points shopping days, you can earn 10 percent back.
For instance, if you spend $200 on a double points shopping day, you’d earn 2,000 points, which translate into $20 back in rewards that you can use for your next shopping spree.
If you spend enough to reach LUXE elite status (5,000 points in a calendar year), you’ll qualify for triple points shopping days where a $200 purchase would earn 3,000 points that could be redeemed for $30 in shopping rewards. That’s 15 percent back on your purchase. This fantastic perk is also the card’s downside. Earnings and redemptions are tied only to your expenditures at Banana Republic.
Also, if you’re spending a lot, you’ll want to make sure you’re paying off your card each statement period as the 26.24% Variable± APR will negate any discounts you may have received.
While it’s always good to get clothing at a great discount, you would do better with a card that helps you earn rewards on all of your purchases, not just those at Banana Republic and affiliated stores.
While you’re not going to experience a 10 or 15 percent return on your Banana Republic purchases with a standard cashback card, you can select a cashback card that fits your overall spending habits and therefore earn more rewards overall on all of your purchases. You’ll also be earning cash back, which is about as flexible as it can get when it comes to redemption options.
If you can’t resist the Banana Republic card because you shop there frequently, you should at least consider supplementing the card with a general cashback card. All store-branded cards have limitations when it comes to earning and redeeming rewards as that is the nature of their design. They’re intended to encourage you to shop at the affiliated store.
You may find that a cashback card with a decent sign-up bonus, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited®, or a card with a 0% introductory APR, such as the Blue Cash Everyday card, could offer you more overall value that any store-branded card.
Need more info? Check out our frequently asked questions. If you have other questions, please click on “Ask Now” below.
- Because Banana Republic is owned by Gap, Inc., you’ll have a selection of affiliated stores that will accept your Banana Republic credit card. In addition to Banana Republic , your card can be used online and in store at all Gap stores, Intermix, Weddington Way, Athleta and Old Navy.While you can use your card at Intermix, you do not earn rewards there. You will earn rewards at all the other affiliated brands, however.Synchrony Bank issues two Banana Republic credit cards, the Banana Republic card and the Banana Republic Visa. While the Visa version of the card can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, the store card can only be used at affiliated stores. Synchrony will issue you the card that it determines appropriate based on your credit history.
- Each dollar you spend on your Banana Republic card earns five rewards points. You need to accumulate 500 rewards points to earn a $5 shopping reward, so you would need to spend $100 to receive a certificate.A special perk of double points shopping days is granted to cardholders, however, and on these days you would earn 10 points per dollar spent on the card. This would require you to only spend $50 to earn 500 points and receive a $5 shopping reward. That’s a 10% return.If you spend $1,000 in a calendar year, you will earn LUXE status, and then you will be invited to triple points shopping days where you would earn 15 points per dollar spend on your card. In this scenario, you would only need to spend around $33.34 to receive 500 points and qualify for the $5 shopping reward.
- The Banana Republic card does not have an annual fee. There are, however, other fees and charges of which you should be aware.If you make a late payment, you will be charged a late fee Up to $38. If you have paid your last six minimum payments on time, you will be charged the $27. If even one payment was late during the past six statement periods, you will be charged the $37 late fee.You should also be aware that the APR (annual percentage rate) is 26.24% Variable±, so you’ll want to make sure you pay your balance off each statement period to avoid being charged a high amount of interest.
- You can manage your Banana Republic card account online as well as your rewards program account. Accessing your account allows you to keep track of your transactions, add an authorized user, make a payment or sign up for paperless statements. Your rewards program account can also be accessed via your mobile device, making it easy to view your progress towards shopping reward redemptions and access special promotions and discounts.
Compare Banana Republic Credit Card
Compare Similar Store Credit Cards
Synchrony Bank issues dozens of store-branded credit cards, including all of the cards we’re comparing below. None of these cards charge an annual fee, but that is quite common with store-branded cards. Since the APR rate on all of these store cards can be quite high, you’ll want to make sure your balance is paid off each statement period or the repayment of a purchase financed during any 0% APR period is paid in full before the deadline to avoid being charged the high interest rates.
|JCPenney Credit Card|
|Sign-up bonus||20% discount||20% discount||$10 gift card|
|APR On Purchases||26.99% Variable±||26.24% Variable±||27.24% Variable±|
The JC Penney credit card may be beneficial if you’re planning a large purchase at the popular retailer. One reason is that the sign-up bonus gives you a 20 percent discount on your first purchase. Another reason is that JC Penney also allows you to apply coupons to your purchase, which it offers generously and often, in addition to your sign-up discount.
If you were purchasing $1,000 in furniture, for instance, you would receive a $200 discount. Additionally, you could finance your purchase with their initial promotional financing offers. Another benefit of the card is that you receive the equivalent of 5 percent back in shopping certificates. Not bad for a card with $0 annual fee.
The Amazon Prime Store card rewards frequent Amazon shoppers with 5 percent back on Amazon purchases. The 5 percent you earn can be used toward future purchases on Amazon.com.
Once you’re approved for the card, a $ 10 Amazon Gift card value will be added to your Amazon.com account as a sign-up bonus. No purchase is necessary to trigger the bonus, but you must have an Amazon.com account and Amazon Prime membership.
The card is also a good choice if you need to make a large purchase as those over $149 qualify for special financing which you can select versus the 5.0 percent back. With no annual fee, the card would be appealing to any frequent Amazon shopper, especially since you can buy nearly anything on Amazon.com, even Banana Republic clothing. The card has $0 annual fee.
One positive feature of the Banana Republic card is that you can use it at affiliated stores and you will get some great discounts. If you shop frequently at GAP, Inc. retailers, you’ll probably gain some value by having the card.
The card is severely limited, however, and does not earn rewards on other purchases, offer a cashback option, or have any flexibility when it comes time to redeem your points. You’ll fare far better overall with a cashback card or other rewards credit card.
Some Alternative Cards for Banana Republic Shoppers
While it’s great to get discounts and rewards when you’re shopping at your favorite clothing store, having a store-branded credit card doesn’t allow you to earn rewards on all of your other purchases. And when it comes time to redeem the rewards you’ve earned on your store-branded card, you’re usually limited to shopping at the affiliated store.
One thing for certain is that there is nothing more flexible than cash and a cashback card could be a much better option to earning just store rewards. Let’s take a look at a few alternatives to the Banana Republic card.
Best Cashback Card
If you want to simplify your earnings, the Citi Double Cash card does it perfectly. All of your purchases receive 1 percent cash back when you make a purchase and an additional 1 percent back when you pay off your statement each month.
There are no bonus categories and the card doesn’t offer a sign-up bonus, but as a prudent consumer, you’ll be earning 2.0 percent back on every purchase. The card charges $0 annual fee.
Best Card for Shoppers
If you want a card that gives you cash back on every purchase you make and even more cash back on certain bonus categories, the Blue Cash card from American Express might be a fit. You’ll earn 2.0 percent cash back on department store purchases and at gas stations. You’ll also earn a whopping 3.0 percent back on purchases at supermarkets.
No need to try to save up those $5 Banana Republic reward credits; The Blue Cash Card delivers a $150 sign-up bonus after you spend $1,000 on the card in the first three months after approval. You’d have to spend as much as $3,000 on your Banana Republic card to earn $150 in rewards, and you would be limited to using those rewards for Banana Republic purchases.
All other spending on the Blue Cash card, outside of the bonus categories, earns 1.0 percent cash back. If your spending is heavy in the bonus categories, this card will serve you well.
Additionally, the card currently offers a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months after card approval. This is an excellent benefit if you have a large purchase you want to repay within a 15 months period without incurring interest.
Get the Biggest Bonus
If you want a sign-up bonus and don’t have heavy spending in any particular bonus category, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® may be a good choice. Its 15,000 sign-up bonus after spending $500 in the first 90 days after card approval is a nice jumpstart to your earnings.
All of your purchases receive 1.5 percent cash back. Also you can get $100 cash back for each friend who gets the Freedom Unlimited® card. The $0-annual-fee card also comes with 15 months of 0% APR for purchases.
Whenever you apply for a credit card make sure you read the terms and conditions of the card and the rewards program to find out about minimum spend requirements and any restrictions to ensure you can successfully obtain the card and earn the rewards it offers.
Recommended Credit Score:Fair
Rewards CurrencyBanana Republic Rewards Points
Card Terms and Conditions
While it's easy to focus on the benefits of the Banana Republic card, it's worth taking a closer look at the terms and conditions. There's a lot to consider as you think about how you're going to use the card. Will you carry a balance, get a cash advance or maybe make a big purchase? Below is a rundown of the various interest rates, purchase protections, security features and mobile banking options that come with this store-branded card.
- Intro APR:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Intro APR for balance transfers:
- See Terms and Conditions
- Ongoing APR:
- 26.24% Variable±
- Minimum Grace Period:
- 23 days
Security and Protections
Online access to your Banana Republic card account allows you to keep track of transactions, payments and other account information.
- Online Account Access:
- Access your account online to make payments, view transactions and set up custom alerts. Account alerts notify you when your payment is due, when a large transaction is made or when other activity happens on your account. You can also update your profile, select to receive paperless statements or add an authorized user.
Additional Cardholder Benefits
The Banana Republic card is issued by Synchrony Bank and is not affiliated with Visa, MasterCard or American Express, so it does not offer any associated benefits.