Who Is the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard From Barclays Good For?
The Frontier Airlines World MasterCard is the perfect way to earn more miles and enhance your flying and booking experience on the Denver-based carrier. Frontier’s loyalty program, EarlyReturns, offers some good deals, and the card comes with some essential benefits for cardholders. So if you’re a member of the program, or thinking of becoming one, having the co-branded MasterCard is a no-brainer.
With the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard, EarlyReturns members can avoid some fees and easily keep miles from expiring. Plus the 40,000-mile sign-up bonus more than makes up for the $69 annual fee. Unfortunately, miles earned with the card do not count toward elite status.
The current bonus is 40,000 miles after spending $500 in the first month. That’s enough for two domestic round-trip economy tickets.
The earning potential of the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard is on par with other co-branded airline cards. You get:
- Two miles per dollar spent on Frontier Airlines purchases
- One mile per dollar for all other purchases
What Do Your Miles Get You?
Frontier Airlines is run by the same people who brought us Spirit Airlines, and it too is an ultra-low-cost carrier. Frontier doesn’t have business or first class, and its redesigned frequent flyer program has only one elite level.
The airline also doesn’t have any partner airlines, so EarlyReturns miles can only be used for flights on Frontier. Round-trip flights within the U.S. cost 20,000 miles in economy and 40,000 miles in Classic Plus. For flights between the U.S. and Mexico, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic and Costa Rica, economy tickets cost 30,000 miles, and Classic Plus is 50,000. Classic Plus offers more flexibility and fewer change fees. One-way awards can be purchased for half price.
- 40,000-mile sign-up bonus that’s good for two domestic round-trip tickets
- No cancellation or change fees if made more than a week in advance
- Only a $75 fee on economy fares for canceling or changing less than a week before the flight
- Award redemption fees are waived for cardholders
- Cardholders can extend miles expiration with purchases
- Extra charges for everything, including carry-on bags and seat assignments
- Miles expire in six months without flying or using the card for purchases
- 3 percent foreign transaction fee
How Far Do Your Miles Go?
Any long-haul economy redemption on the EarlyReturns award chart is a good deal, but flights to Costa Rica are particularly valuable. Finding a seat may not be easy, but if you manage to get one, award tickets to this Central American country are only 30,000 miles.
Additional Cardholder Benefits:
- Free FICO score
- Zero liability
- Extended warranty and enhanced price protection
- Car rental loss and damage insurance
- Concierge services
- Travel accident insurance
- Identity theft resolution services
- Access to MasterCard Priceless Cities
- World Luxury Hotels & Resorts benefits